PDA

View Full Version : If it wasnt for bad luck..........

Prestigelawncare
04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
How about this for luck. I got everything out a couple weeks ago greased everything and was ready to go. I decided to mow my own yard to make sure everything was running smooth with no problems and she was purring like a kitten. All pumped up after the rain stopped and got to my first customer of the season. On the second pass white smoke started coming from the deck and metal shavings all over the place. After a little inspection the tension pully blew the bearing and that was all she wrote. 60 miles of travel to the parts store and 4 hours later I got my first lawn of the season done. End of the day I am a cool negative $40.00 in the hole and a half day behind schedule.

Good luck and hope everybody's season starts better than mine!!! :)

soloscaperman
04-27-2011, 08:56 PM
What kind of mower? What year?

Prestigelawncare
04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
2007 Exmark. First thing that I have had go wrong with it and knock on wood I hope its the last. I didnt think it was to bad for 750 hours of wear on it.

topsites
04-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Folks think I'm crazy when I tell them but this is the reason why I have spare lawn mowers.

soloscaperman
04-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a 2008 Exmark Lazer HP ZTR with the 27HP I think I heard of this problem with these models. Yours is a Rider or a WB?

Richard Martin
04-28-2011, 01:57 AM
No biggie. At least it was only a pulley. My Ferris chewed up the blade timing belt yesterday (yes, it does have a cogged blade belt) at the beginning of a job. I put the mower back on the trailer and finished up the back yard with the self propelled 21" Honda powered Craftsman. I got home and called the dealer that sold me the mower 6 years ago. He's 350 miles away. I don't have anywhere locally to buy these special parts for the mower. I asked for 2 belts. He had 1 in stock. He put the belt into an envelope and is overnighting it to me. I should have it today. He's sending the second belt as soon as he gets it. He's not going to bill me for either belt until he sends me the second belt.

I hope you bought 2 pullies. There's no way to guarantee a part will never break again like having a spare.

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I hope you bought 2 pullies. There's no way to guarantee a part will never break again like having a spare.

No doubt he buys a second as a spare and he'll NEVER have that pulley fail again. Don't get it and it will go out again. LOL :)

I wish that's all I had problems with. Life would be alot easier. I had to buy a new truck this week. I fell behind a week on cutting. I finally got caught up yesterday on mowing. Now I have to get on 4 very large mulch jobs that total about 30 yards of mulch!

gasracer
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Last Summer I had a idler pulley go bad on my 48" Ferris WB on a Monday(finished job with 36") Got it back on Wednesday and the one on the other side went out on Friday. I asked the shop if there was another one that should be replaced before I left.

vencops
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
My 1st time out this season (6 weeks ago), my trimmer wouldn't start (runs great, now). $420.20 (new km 110) and I was ready for #2.

Account #2, I had a flat on my new Bobcat Pro Cat.

No issues, since.

Good luck.

M&SLawnCare
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I got you beat lol. This year my backup mower (one equipped with the bagger) had a locked up clutch and my main mower had a clutch just starting to go, both from the previous year, so i knew about it ahead of time. So like a moron, i only ordered one clutch when i saw the price knowing the main mower's was just starting to slip occasionally, but still worked. replaced the seized clutch on the backup mower and did the routine spring maintenance on everything and begin my cleanups using the backup mower (because it has the bagger attachments on it).

Finish a week of cleanups and go to swap to my main mower to start the mowing season. Test it out on my lawn just before putting it on the trailer, clutch completely slipping. So back on the trailer with the backup mower to do my mowing accounts while i order a clutch. Clutch comes in so i swap that in. By this time the backup mower is leaking oil significantly from somewhere up top (can't tell where as the air cleaner housing is in the way, possibly the sensor) so i'm looking forward to having the main mower back up. Go to start it up and it immediately stalls when i start the blades. Center spindle is seized up, and the sudden jolt when i engaged the blades slightly bent the tensioner arm and wiped out the bushing to it.

So i order up a new spindle, tension arm, and tensioner bushing/bearing; and load up my leaking backup mower again to mow a few days till parts come in. Parts come in and the new tensioner is much larger than the old. Bushing housing on the arm is much taller and heavier but everything still lines up. Go to raise the deck and the longer new bolt on the tension arm hits the bottom of the deck. Few colorful words later and some work with the grinder to shorten the top of the bolt and it works.

Finally load up the running main mower and bring my mower into the garage to check into the oil leak when i get a chance. All this on top of the rain we've been getting every other day which has been playing havoc with my schedule.

Argh. Now THIS is why you need backup equipment if your not using new equipment lol. 2 clutches, a spindle, a tensioner, and now an oil leak all in the first 3 weeks of the year. Didn't miss any work with all these repairs (just weather), just a lot of headaches and a large bill this months in repairs. Main mower is running like a champ now though :clapping: