PDA

View Full Version : Pullin the trigger on a 720 JD....

D&K Lawns
04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Hope it is worth it!!!

Sammy
04-27-2011, 11:39 PM
How much ?

rcslawncare
04-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I think you will be pleased.

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Paying $7499.00. Is that decent?

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
So why do you not like John Deere?

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
So why do you not like John Deere?

For me, it's what they did to the small mom pop shops by pulling out and opening their own retail stores. They shut down a small shop here local since they opened up a huge retail JD center 10 miles away.

That and they don't make worthy equipment.

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I def understand about the large dealers shutting down the mom and pops. Happened here as well. What about their equip is not worthy? I am not being sarcastic, just trying to get all the info I can. Any honest opinion is definately welcomed.

magilla12
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I love my Deere's, I have a Z925A and love it, it is built very well and the quality of cut is outstanding, there are lots who bash John Deere, but I personally think they are the top of the line..I think you are getting a decent deal.

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Good to hear that. Thanks

MOHUSTLER
04-28-2011, 10:01 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding its a decent mower. But yes JD has a huge ego and I wish that everyone walked in here with an open check book like the die hard john deere fans do.

They really gave the shaft to thier small dealers. It reminds me of the old cub dealers when they started putting thier mowers in lowes and home cheapo. They said sorry and suck it up its all about money to them.

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Starting to reconsider here...also looked at a ferriss 2000 series. any input there?

topsites
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
My only thing about John Deere's is I think they are good machines but they're overrated,
and that is why it costs extra because it's green, and I don't know much about the Ferris
but it's almost always an equivalent model of a different brand could save you a grand or two.

Now, if all else is the same and the price is right, I'd probably get the Deere.

D&K Lawns
04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
thanks tops...I do appreciate your opinion.

LawnCareNoobie
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Hope it is worth it!!!

Are you talking about the 720A zero turn with the 60" deck and 25 hp kohler?

I guess it's okay, it's not Deere's full blown commercial mower though. That would be the 900 series. You're still getting a pretty good mower, especially the 7 Iron deck that should last you. I'm not sure what exactly your intentions are with the mower (how many lawns you cut?) so I can't say much more.

As far as Deere products, I admit, I am a bit of a fan of Deere. I don't get crazy and buy everything Deere though and some of their prices are ridiculous. It depends on what is its though. My JD dealer used to sell Scag as well, and for a similar size deck and engine hp the prices were much higher for the Scags than JD. They don't carry Scag anymore for some reason. They carried Echo and Stihl products too but only Stihls now. Must be what some people have been talking about. JD controlling things, going with bigger dealers and the small ones going out. My Dealer is great though. They offer good service to customers.

That's what happens when you build a reputation (even though it might not be what it once was) for quality equipment. They can charge and arm and a leg for something because they know people will buy it.

I have used a lot of Deere products such as simple push mower, trimmer, zero turn, to larger tractors and I really can't say that they are any worse than other brands. Some of it is better and some of it isn't. I work as a groundskeeper at a college and we have a wide range of equipment from a Jacobson 5111 to New Holland, to Deere. The Deere's are holding up just fine, if not better than the other stuff and I got a boss who runs equipment like an idiot.

I think the problem is that Deere makes junk products as well as good products. Junk Products for example being those cheap mowers at Lowes, the good ones being their tractors. If you look at Kubota they really don't make anything thats cheap or junk (that I know of). All of their equipment is pretty top notch, however the range of equipment offered is not nearly as huge as Deere's. Kubota tractors only get so big and you don't see huge Kubota combines or loaders. Deere has a bit of everything. I think they wanted to have products available to everyone. It probably got them an increase in sales but probably hurt their reputation. People thought that they bought real JD quality when they bought that $1500 riding lawn mower at Lowes and when it breaks a year later they don't believe in JD anymore.

As far as me, I'll continue to use JD especially in the zero turn department unless something really turns sour. I'm still stuck on the older 700 series zero turns (not your model), and look forward to the 900s when the time comes.

Good luck.

retrodog
04-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Its funny reading this, just noticed I have a "Don't let your friends drive green lawn mowers" t-shirt on right now...lol. I can't believe the parts and equipment pricing. Here at the Deere dealer an anti scalp wheel off the deck is $26.... I sell the same wheel for $9.99 and still make money. I would seriously look at Bobcat, Gravely, Hustler, and Bad Boy for $7500, you will get a lot more mower. Gravely is your 260 range, Hustler your x1 26hp air-cooled kawasaki (closer to 8000), Bad Boy has the lightning 26hp lc kawasaki (suspension and speed will blow you away), and the Outlaw 31hp kawa 5400 tranny (the deck is amazing), heck save some cash and get the Pup 30hp Kohler Command with a stouter deck, spindle set up (new double ball bearings) for $6799. I am a BB fan, but any of the brands I listed will blow the 720 out of the water on specs, production, and of course saving you money on parts.
Every customer I have had on the fence, I tell them to get the deere dealer to demo the mower at their house, and I bring out my comparable ride, and they have bought from me everytime, it just takes someone stepping in and physically showing you a better product, then proving to you what they showed you... It seems when Deere is involved people just go in there and open their wallets when they walk in the door... We bought a Kubota tractor, same hp as the deere we were looking at, and felt better driving, saved $10000, and got 0% for 48 months on top of that...

JDeereZman
04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Its funny reading this, just noticed I have a "Don't let your friends drive green lawn mowers" t-shirt on right now...lol. I can't believe the parts and equipment pricing. Here at the Deere dealer an anti scalp wheel off the deck is $26.... I sell the same wheel for $9.99 and still make money. I would seriously look at Bobcat, Gravely, Hustler, and Bad Boy for $7500, you will get a lot more mower. Gravely is your 260 range, Hustler your x1 26hp air-cooled kawasaki (closer to 8000), Bad Boy has the lightning 26hp lc kawasaki (suspension and speed will blow you away), and the Outlaw 31hp kawa 5400 tranny (the deck is amazing), heck save some cash and get the Pup 30hp Kohler Command with a stouter deck, spindle set up (new double ball bearings) for $6799. I am a BB fan, but any of the brands I listed will blow the 720 out of the water on specs, production, and of course saving you money on parts.
Every customer I have had on the fence, I tell them to get the deere dealer to demo the mower at their house, and I bring out my comparable ride, and they have bought from me everytime, it just takes someone stepping in and physically showing you a better product, then proving to you what they showed you... It seems when Deere is involved people just go in there and open their wallets when they walk in the door... We bought a Kubota tractor, same hp as the deere we were looking at, and felt better driving, saved $10000, and got 0% for 48 months on top of that...

Nothing like losing an anti scalp wheel to bring your operation to a screeching halt. Now give us a list of parts that you WON'T have that a Deere dealer will only have to walk a few feet to a parts rack to pick up or at worst have it for you first thing the next morning?

retrodog
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Nothing like losing an anti scalp wheel to bring your operation to a screeching halt. Now give us a list of parts that you WON'T have that a Deere dealer will only have to walk a few feet to a parts rack to pick up or at worst have it for you first thing the next morning?

I have spindles, clutches, wheels and tires, all bearings, filters, belts, blades (atleast 3 types for each mower actually), mo-jacks, acs systems, pto switches, ignitions, wiring harness, coils, etc. I am a mower dealer that takes care of most commercial guys in my area, very small dealer too....lol. Only parts I have to order are internal engine or pump parts, and actual engines and pumps, unless its a weird part that never breaks.... and I can have any part next day shipped just like any other dealer in the world....
I took my Stihl FS90 to my local Deere dealer when I had a mowing crew. It was 2 weeks old, and not running right. Run for about 30 minutes, and then crap out till the next day, then start again (wierd...). Dropped it off, got a call said nothing is wrong with it, I felt like a ******. Went to pick it up and was given a $91 bill. When I asked what is was for it was because they ran it an hour and didn't find anything. I paid to not cause a scene, took it straight to a cemetary to finish up and guess what. Took it back and got a $75 bill, still said it ran fine, they would crank it and sit in the floor for an hour.... then I got upset. I couldn't imagine taking my zero turn to them...lol. I have heard of a few guys getting charged over $500 to replace a clutch, thats crazy for a 10 minute repair.....lol. Its funny, 2 mechanics that work there bought mowers from me, they said they wouldn't own a deere because they work on them everyday...
I have to admit, the green stuff looks good, but I am a smart shopper. The mom and pop dealers can have every part you need for pretty low inventory cost if they pay attention and ask. When I first became a dealer, I asked every commercial guy (What parts do you need me to carry?), its carried me a long way since day 1....

DLCS
05-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I took my Stihl FS90 to my local Deere dealer when I had a mowing crew. It was 2 weeks old, and not running right. Run for about 30 minutes, and then crap out till the next day, then start again (wierd...). Dropped it off, got a call said nothing is wrong with it, I felt like a ******. Went to pick it up and was given a $91 bill. When I asked what is was for it was because they ran it an hour and didn't find anything. I paid to not cause a scene, took it straight to a cemetary to finish up and guess what. Took it back and got a $75 bill, still said it ran fine, they would crank it and sit in the floor for an hour.... then I got upset. I couldn't imagine taking my zero turn to them...lol. I have heard of a few guys getting charged over $500 to replace a clutch, thats crazy for a 10 minute repair.....lol. Its funny, 2 mechanics that work there bought mowers from me, they said they wouldn't own a deere because they work on them everyday...
I have to admit, the green stuff looks good, but I am a smart shopper. The mom and pop dealers can have every part you need for pretty low inventory cost if they pay attention and ask. When I first became a dealer, I asked every commercial guy (What parts do you need me to carry?), its carried me a long way since day 1....

Dealer problem, not a Deere problem. Don't lump all deere dealers in the same boat. On the same token, you can't lump all Bad Boy dealers in same boat either. All machines are good, its the good dealer that you have to shop for.

JDeereZman
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I have spindles, clutches, wheels and tires, all bearings, filters, belts, blades (atleast 3 types for each mower actually), mo-jacks, acs systems, pto switches, ignitions, wiring harness, coils, etc. I am a mower dealer that takes care of most commercial guys in my area, very small dealer too....lol. Only parts I have to order are internal engine or pump parts, and actual engines and pumps, unless its a weird part that never breaks.... and I can have any part next day shipped just like any other dealer in the world....

Well that's great and congratulations on your sucessful business. Now let me tell you a little about my situation. I work at the factory that builds Deere's ZTR's, front mow commercal mowers and Deere's Golf and Turf equipment. We work hard every day to make it in a very competitive industry. I come on this site occasionally to see what is going on in this industry and of course the threads I see about Deere Commercial Equipment usually catches my attention. It amazes me the Deere bashing that goes on here. Usually it's about Deeres prices but they never give price comparisons. And of course there is always the "green paint" comments. I see the POS comments but never any specifics about why they are saying that. Like I said earlier I read mostly the Deere threads but I also read others and maybe it's just me and the threads I have read but I never see owners of Deere equipment or Deere dealers or sales reps on other threads bashing other brands. It wasn't too long ago I saw a thread and someone was inquiring about a Z900 Deere ZTR. Of course the people THAT ACTUALLY RUN a Deere Z900 series mower gave their experiences and of course those that have never seen a Z900 (but of course knew everything about one) let alone use the machine gave their "opinions" but there was one particular individual that caught my attention. A guy made that statement that Deere did not design their ZTR's or any of their commercial equipment, that Great Dane did all of their design engineering. Then he capped it off by saying that the Deere dealer in his area warned him to stay away from the Deere ZTR's and that is why he decided to buy a Scag. I got more than a little suspicious so I reserached the other posts this guy had made and guess what? Turned out the guy was a sales rep for Scag.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I have owned both Deere and Ferris mowers, I think the Deere has a bit better cut and the Ferris a smoother ride, No complaints from either brand

momstmg
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
When you green your just buying paint. As much as the green cost, you would think atleast it would have a suspension or suspension seat standard like other companies that are alot cheaper with similar specs. Hope that helps.

On a side note I do have a z950 and use to have a 757 ztrac.
Posted via Mobile Device

K-4 Mowing
05-01-2011, 08:13 PM
JD is just to expensive to maintain. Parts are usually twice that of any other brand. Other than that a decent mower.

LawnCareNoobie
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Do people have really bad reading comprehension or just ignore other people's posts?

weeze
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
i wouldn't get the 720....get the 920...it's about the same price...here it's $7750 for a z920a 54" 7iron pro deck with 26hp kawi engine

LawnCareNoobie
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Well that's great and congratulations on your sucessful business. Now let me tell you a little about my situation. I work at the factory that builds Deere's ZTR's, front mow commercal mowers and Deere's Golf and Turf equipment. We work hard every day to make it in a very competitive industry. I come on this site occasionally to see what is going on in this industry and of course the threads I see about Deere Commercial Equipment usually catches my attention. It amazes me the Deere bashing that goes on here. Usually it's about Deeres prices but they never give price comparisons. And of course there is always the "green paint" comments. I see the POS comments but never any specifics about why they are saying that. Like I said earlier I read mostly the Deere threads but I also read others and maybe it's just me and the threads I have read but I never see owners of Deere equipment or Deere dealers or sales reps on other threads bashing other brands. It wasn't too long ago I saw a thread and someone was inquiring about a Z900 Deere ZTR. Of course the people THAT ACTUALLY RUN a Deere Z900 series mower gave their experiences and of course those that have never seen a Z900 (but of course knew everything about one) let alone use the machine gave their "opinions" but there was one particular individual that caught my attention. A guy made that statement that Deere did not design their ZTR's or any of their commercial equipment, that Great Dane did all of their design engineering. Then he capped it off by saying that the Deere dealer in his area warned him to stay away from the Deere ZTR's and that is why he decided to buy a Scag. I got more than a little suspicious so I reserached the other posts this guy had made and guess what? Turned out the guy was a sales rep for Scag.

I remember seeing this as well. It's amazing the BS people say here. The ones who have never even used a JD zero turn or better yet even sat their butt in a seat of a different mower usually spew crap regardless. The ones that have actually used JD usually have nothing but good things to say about those machines. Hard to find any negatives about the 900 series.

Usually when something is popular and successful, there's going to be a lot of haters as well.

LawnCareNoobie
05-01-2011, 10:27 PM
When you green your just buying paint. As much as the green cost, you would think atleast it would have a suspension or suspension seat standard like other companies that are alot cheaper with similar specs. Hope that helps.

On a side note I do have a z950 and use to have a 757 ztrac.
Posted via Mobile Device

Must be why the paint is off in this youtube video. Couldn't afford the paint!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZiT5OBZzVo

momstmg
05-01-2011, 10:34 PM
That is the stickers. Those stickers cost money
Posted via Mobile Device

JDeereZman
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I remember seeing this as well. It's amazing the BS people say here. The ones who have never even used a JD zero turn or better yet even sat their butt in a seat of a different mower usually spew crap regardless. The ones that have actually used JD usually have nothing but good things to say about those machines. Hard to find any negatives about the 900 series.

Usually when something is popular and successful, there's going to be a lot of haters as well.

Yeah I busted this guy and exposed him for what he was and Lawnsite removed his post. It's the broad statements about Deere that gets me. Like "Deere parts prices are twice and high as anyone else". Exactly what parts? Give me...I'm sorry show me examples. I was filling my truck up last summer and a guy was next to me with a Z825 on his trailer. We started talking and I told him where I work. He said he broke an idler spring on his deck. The dealer had the spring and said it cost him $13. One of the mechanics helped him replace it. So I guess an idler spring of a comparable mower would be $6.50 and the guy would get cake and coffee while the mechanic replaced it for him?
I'd just like to know exactly what parts are twice a comparable mower? Blades? Belts? Every part Deere sells?

weeze
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
deere's are cheaper than a scag or hustler in my area if looking at comparable models

momstmg
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Zman the stickers are!
Posted via Mobile Device

momstmg
05-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Zman on a serious note, I like everything about mine except that it didn't come standard with either suspension or suspension seat. Why can't there be one or the other?
Posted via Mobile Device

JDeereZman
05-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Zman on a serious note, I like everything about mine except that it didn't come standard with either suspension or suspension seat. Why can't there be one or the other?
Posted via Mobile Device

You can get a suspension seat which is a dealer option. When we built the 700 series the unit left the factory with no seat at all. The dealer supplied the seat that the customer wanted and the huge majority of those customers wanted the standard seat. When the 800/900 series came along the decision was made to put a standard seat on every machine and if a customer wanted the suspension seat the dealer would swap it out and install it and the factory was not involved. With such a high volume machine it just works better that way from the production end.

RollingsFarms
05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
i love my JD 910A! if i could change anything about the Deere z-turn lineup it would be to offer the MOD deck as standard equipment on all models and have more diesel offerings(48" and 54" decks). i am debating adding the suspension seat to mine but the standard seat is quite comfortable as is. as for price, when i bought this mower the financing and price were better then Exmark and Hustler.

Ridin' Green
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Hello to all, new member here.

OP-I saw this thread and had to post.

I just bought the same exact machine on 4-28-11.
I paid $7400 OTD, and that included the optional cast iron bumper that is standard on the Z900's. In all honesty I am a Deere fan (the machines much more than the company), but I still shopped around and compared features on several brands including pricing, and overall it was a fairly easy choice for me.

The Z900's are top of the line, but are also just a touch more than I wanted to spend right now. The Z720 will do anything I need to do with a ZTR. Since it is so new and it seems to be raining every day lately, I haven't done much more than play around on it.

One thing I will say- I have owned (and still do) a boatload of John Deere tractors, and their quality of cut is second to none, so I excpect the same from this Z Trak.

As a rule, I don't find Deere's parts cost to be any higher than anyone else's, and I am no different than anyone else- I like the best deal I can get.:usflag:

rcslawncare
05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
i love my JD 910A! if i could change anything about the Deere z-turn lineup it would be to offer the MOD deck as standard equipment on all models and have more diesel offerings(48" and 54" decks). i am debating adding the suspension seat to mine but the standard seat is quite comfortable as is. as for price, when i bought this mower the financing and price were better then Exmark and Hustler.

I really like the JD seat over my toro, I added the suspension kit for the Jd seat and man, it makes it night and day. Its expensive, but its worth every penny.

LawnCareNoobie
05-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Keep in mind that the seat on the 720 is not the same offered on the 900 series.

rcslawncare
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Keep in mind that the seat on the 720 is not the same offered on the 900 series.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that, I can only speak for the suspension kit for the 900 series seat.

Ridin' Green
05-04-2011, 02:07 AM
The seat on the 900's is a lot more comfortable than the stock seat on the 700's. Until reading here on this site today, I didn't know that a suspension seat was an option on the 700's. I'll be checking into that. My dealer sure didn't mention it to me.