PDA

View Full Version : ECHO SRM-225 question/ problem

Mikol87
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a ECHO SMR-225 that is almost a year old. For some reason when ever it tips over on its side, with the carburator down, gas leaks out and floods the engine. I have a SRM-265 and it does not have this problem, neither does my Stihl FS90R. I took it into my Echo dealer and he told me to just make sure I don't tip it over. He says there is nothing wrong with it. :confused: OK Im no mechanic but come on! This is not normal like he says. Has anyone else herd of this problem? Any solutions to fix it? Im thinking my next trimmers will be STIHLS!

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
If it is comming out of the carburator I'd say it is a diaphram problem. But then again I would think if it was that bad that it probably would not run. I would bring it elsewhere. You have a warranty on it for at least three years maybe five.

Find another dealer or bring it back to the original dealer and tell him to fix it this time.

topsites
04-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Your dealer could be...
And careful here because if this is not the case, you don't want to be wrong about it
but your dealer could be playing stupid while the ONE year warranty runs out.

Oh yes, you see, dealers know that about 30 days before the warranty runs out there is always a flurry of
activity as the owners of certain equipment are well aware of the date and thus dealers have learned to resist
that last minute repair, and while I can't totally blame them because some repairs truly are frivolous...
But if it leaks, it leaks!

You can not be expected to hold it some certain way, trimmers are made to be run in ANY position,
upside down sideways around back in front head over heels and three sheets to the wind, and in
any position they should not leak fuel.

That having been said, you should be prepared to pay for the repair if it isn't covered by the warranty.

Edge & Engine
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
You dealer is not correct, it should not leak gas. Are you able to determine exactly where the gas is leaking from? Are you sure that it is not leaking out of the gas tank vent line?

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Your dealer could be...
And careful here because if this is not the case, you don't want to be wrong about it
but your dealer could be playing stupid while the ONE year warranty runs out.

Oh yes, you see, dealers know that about 30 days before the warranty runs out there is always a flurry of
activity as the owners of certain equipment are well aware of the date and thus dealers have learned to resist
that last minute repair, and while I can't totally blame them because some repairs truly are frivolous...
But if it leaks, it leaks!

You can not be expected to hold it some certain way, trimmers are made to be run in ANY position,
upside down sideways around back in front head over heels and three sheets to the wind, and in
any position they should not leak fuel.

That having been said, you should be prepared to pay for the repair if it isn't covered by the warranty.

Echo's warranty is 2 years commercial, 5 years consumer.....

The dealer must be Home Depot.... :D

Mikol87
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
it only leaks gas while the trimmer is turned off and laying on its side. (carburator down) After it starts to leak, the engine will be flooded and I have to let it sit flat for a while before it will start. If I hang it from my celing in the garage, it will leak also. Im pretty sure its comming from the carburator somewhere because it floods its self and you can see it leaking where the air filter is.
The dealor told me when the pressure inside the tank increases, gas is pushed up through the carburator? :confused:

Dr.NewEarth
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't let any of my two cycle stuff sit carburetor down

perhaps undo the gas cap to relieve pressure before you hang it up
or put it in your truck.

Try a new gas cap....approx. 12 bucks at HD for
a cap, a breather and a gas filter...that's cheaper than buying seperate parts.

Airfilters are about 12 bucks alone.

Think Green
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Go to Echo.com and read the warranty section on the consumer 5 year warranty section.
You will be informed that the carburetor is not part of any warranty.
I change out carbs, filters, diaphrams, and seals all the time.
The trimmer is supposed to be ran in any position and can leak from faulty seal and diaphrams. So please understand that this is part of the equipment and its use.

Edge & Engine
04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Go to Echo.com and read the warranty section on the consumer 5 year warranty section.
The trimmer is supposed to be ran in any position and can leak from faulty seal and diaphrams. So please understand that this is part of the equipment and its use.

Actually, the carburetor is covered not only be Echo's 5 year Consumer warranty, but also a two year Emission Control warranty. That being said, carburetor warranty can be tricky because it's not always possible to prove that it was a manufacturing defect that caused a problem.

Think Green
04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
That interesting because their website that describes the warranty doesn't say anything about the carb. Yes, the carb is part of the machine that is hard to prove of its faults.
I guess it is up to the dealer, the rep and the manufacturer as to what they will do.
I still say, it isn't going to be covered at all and that is why I purchase--rebuild and re install all of my parts on small engines.

topsites
04-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Fair enough, if my dealer gave me that explanation I would likely be satisfied
but they could have explained as much to the man here.

MisterBreeze
05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my SRM225. Lately it's been accelerating poorly. When I flip the trimmer to trim an edge it runs fine. Today I noticed gas leaking from the carb but I could not pinpoint exactly where from. Very annoying, trimmer is only a few months old.