PDA

View Full Version : Can i Get your Opinion? best way to spread 80 yards sandy loam...

Jb3NH
04-27-2011, 10:38 PM
:confused:

Hoping to get someone's opinion on the best way i spread 80yards of sandy rich 3/4inch screened loam at 1inch over a flat area

Here what i have. A 46horse hydro kubota with a 1/3 yard bucket, a landscape rake (without guide wheels 10 foot wide) one ton chevy dump and a 2 or 3 laborers and myself the machine operator.

I'd take any reasonable suggestions

clean_cut
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Could you dump the soil in piles with the truck, then smooth it out with the tractor loader bucket and then run over it with the landscape rake?

I've never done this before, but this seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Jb3NH
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Ya CleanCut, that about where i'm at with this project. And have a couple guys shovel out of the bed to hit the corners and such.

I caught the ear of an excavator while loading up on mulch, his idea was to shake it out of the bucket to spread. That seemed pretty decent to.

Hey and Thanks for the reply

TomG
04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Well I know you said you have a tractor but here is how I spread loam with our Bobcat. You should be able to do the same thing. Maybe just use the landscape rake instead of back dragging. I have never ran a tractor so I'm not sure how well back dragging works. With a little touch you will easily be able to feather the loam out of the bucket so it is 1in thick on the ground.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db6NLTwzQTw

Jb3NH
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey Tom, Thank You
Yeah that's exactly what i have in mind, man i wish i had that machine in BobcatNinja2124 video :)

Here the plan..

Set up 9 yard Piles every 100feet or so and work off those those.

I like your suggestion of using the rake rather than backdragging, could probably do a little of both and get a nice result. What'll do is pick a nice dry day and just have it.