PDA

View Full Version : Billboard Advertising for trade?

scottslawncareav
04-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Ok here's the deal I gave a guy an estimate it averages $250+ per moth for 2 yards to be serviced. Hes gonna give me a 10' by 10' billboard on a pretty busy street in are town that has a population of 475,000. Now the billboard runs 350 so on weeks I wouldn't have any extras I would have to pay the extra. Have any of you used billboard advertising? What would you do?

MowingMowingMowing
04-28-2011, 02:59 AM
I haven't tried it, but then again I live in a much larger city.

You never know though...maybe see if you can negotiate with him to do that arrangement for a month or so with the option of opting out if you don't get any results.... My gut tells me for that type of money you could do some better advertising though...

KINGMADE
04-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Ok here's the deal I gave a guy an estimate it averages $250+ per moth for 2 yards to be serviced. Hes gonna give me a 10' by 10' billboard on a pretty busy street in are town that has a population of 475,000. Now the billboard runs 350 so on weeks I wouldn't have any extras I would have to pay the extra. Have any of you used billboard advertising? What would you do?

On a barter you should always come out on top... paying on slow weeks is not coming out on top.

Golfpro21
04-28-2011, 04:29 AM
arent both parties involved bartering, so how can both come out on top.....it simply has to be a good business decision for both

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't do it unless you want your phone flooded with calls from tire kickers. Sure you might get a few customers but are they the customers your after in the first place. Lets not forget the "how much to cut my lawn" phone calls..... "what do you mean you have to look at it first, I just want a price" type calls.

I like word of mouth advertising better. When I get a call, I usually get the job. Not because I bid it cheap, because they already have seen my work from one of their friend's that I serviced and want the same treatment. I got two calls this week. Both told me so and so told me about you, blah blah blah. I got both jobs.

MOHUSTLER
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like he is winning and you are loosing. But its your job. If you think it will get you more jobs then go for it.

MOHUSTLER
04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Sounds like he is winning and you are loosing. But its your job. If you think it will get you more jobs then go for it.

I traded a guy a used ( junky ) mower for a years billboard and it did absoutley nothing for us.

ALC-GregH
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Another example, I talked with a neighbor at one of my customers property last year about snow removal. Well, she knew I'd be coming soon to service my clients place. I wasn't 5 minutes into the job when she came out and asked if I could start cutting her lawn. She said she waited to talk to me first that she had a bunch of other fly by nighters come through and quoted her a cheap price but really wanted to see if I could fit her place in on my schedule. I got the account and it pays very well mind you. It took me 1 1/2hrs to double cut it at $120 to get it in shape. I'll be charging her $75 per cut weekly.

My point is, I hold out and wait for the "good" customers through referrals. You start advertising all over the place and you'll get tons of calls from people looking for the cheapest price, the least amount of work and the pickiest ones around that want everything done for nothing.

White Gardens
04-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Do it, advertise and give it a shot.

I agree with an above post though, might want to work out a short term deal instead of the whole season. Maybe do 2 months and see how it is working.

Even if it doesn't generate business, it would still be great exposure in getting you name out there.

To cover yourself though, I would write a contract for the mowing, and have the guy write a contract for the billboard. Even if you want to trade, I would stay away from not cutting checks to each other for tax purposes. Make sure you get a receipt in the end and use the billboard as a tax ride-off. So basically, the exact day you receive a check from your client, turn around and cut him a check.

scottslawncareav
04-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Well thanks for your input im gonna try it ill post if its a winner

FuturePilot4u
04-29-2011, 12:41 AM
10 by 10 aint to big

KINGMADE
04-30-2011, 12:19 AM
arent both parties involved bartering, so how can both come out on top.....it simply has to be a good business decision for both

nope I said on a barter YOU should come out on top. As in the OP.

clcare2
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM
I mow a bunch of lots for a company that sells signs and billboards, the sales manager has advised me NOT to use billboard advertising for service related advertising.

04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
I would tell him you will do it for an even trade, I would not pay in. He is the one that wants your service, you didn't go to him looking to make a deal. Might want to find out who is paying for the sign vinyl.