PDA

View Full Version : Mower Handles

Merkava_4
04-28-2011, 02:09 AM
How high is a mower handle supposed to be? I'm talking about 21 inch commercial rotary mowers. Almost all the mowers I've looked at on the dealer's floor are very low. The top of the handle comes to about 8 inches below my belt. If I didn't have such long arms, I could never reach it. I've looked at Honda, Toro, Ybravo, and Snapper. The Snapper has a very comfortable handle hight - it's heads & tails more comfortable than the other brands. But I'm just wondering why they all seem intended for shorter people in the 5' to 5'5" range. I don't consider myself being at such a high elevation; I'm only 6'1" tall. :confused:

KINGMADE
04-28-2011, 02:32 AM
How high is a mower handle supposed to be? I'm talking about 21 inch commercial rotary mowers. Almost all the mowers I've looked at on the dealer's floor are very low. The top of the handle comes to about 8 inches below my belt. If I didn't have such long arms, I could never reach it. I've looked at Honda, Toro, Ybravo, and Snapper. The Snapper has a very comfortable handle hight - it's heads & tails more comfortable than the other brands. But I'm just wondering why they all seem intended for shorter people in the 5' to 5'5" range. I don't consider myself being at such a high elevation; I'm only 6'1" tall. :confused:

I hate to say it but the average user is kinda short and speaks broken english.

Merkava_4
04-28-2011, 04:10 AM
I hate to say it but the average user is kinda short and speaks broken english.

I think you're right; all the equipment manufacturers seem to cater to little short guys.

Richard Martin
04-28-2011, 06:09 AM
The wheel settings affect handle height. If you have a mower that will cut from 1 inch to 4 inches then there's 3 inches of handle height right there. If the mower is setup for the lowest height then the handlebar will be 3 inches lower than at the highest wheel height.

The deck pitch greatly affects the handlebar height too. I once saw a guy struggling to push around a Honda mower. Taking pity on him (he was about 200 pounds overweight and struggling) I asked him what was wrong. He said the handlebars were way too low for him. I looked at the wheel and the front was all of the way up and the back was all of the way down. The handlebars were about 2 feet off of the ground. We adjusted the wheels and he was happy.

I also saw a guy with a Exmark Metro 48 that he had bought used having the same problem. Handlebars too low. The same solution fixed his mower but he had to do his adjustment by himself.