PDA

View Full Version : LawnBoy or Toro

jde
10-04-2002, 11:34 AM
I currently have an old Lawnboy 4hp 2 cycle push mower. I have used LawnBoy for 15 years and really like the. Anyway I am looking to upgrade to a self-propelled mower many because my hard is kind of hard to mow with a steep hill on one side and is manyly cover with Zoysia grass. My qualifications are of course self-propelled, mulches, bags, a 6 to 6.5 hp engine, and $400 and below price range. I think that I have narrowed it down to to mowers. The LawnBoy SilverPro Series with a 6.5hp 2 cycle Dura Force engine and the Toro Recycler Mower with a 6.5 4 cycle engine. I would prefer to stay with the LawnBoy and the 2 cycle engine, but I have read many good things on this site about Toro and I am curious about them. The problem is that most of what I read on Toro are about the commercial mowers. Any and all opions are welcome and any suggestions on other mowers are welcome also.

Thank you,
JDE

lschultz
10-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Aren't Lawnboy made by Toro,a division of them.I bought a Lawnboy about 4 yrs ago.It has the 4cy engine.No problems yet.Use to have a Snapper with the 2cy on it for many years.If I ever need another one it might be a Toro.

Green Pastures
10-04-2002, 09:23 PM
If you bought a 2 stroke Toro Commercial mower and used it weekly...........you would NEVER have to buy another mower in your life, AND neither would whoever inherited it.

I am so very happy with my Toro. It has the Suzuki 2 stroke on it, 3 forward speeds, durable as all get out, starts 3 pulls max. I went with 2 stroke because I wore a 4 stroke out in one season. I mow lots of hills with my push mowers and drainage ditches. I think mowing at that sharp an angle always had the oil pooled on the side of the crankcase and not in the bottom where it can be splashed up onto the crank and piston/con rod etc. where it needed to be. It just slowly lost power and started smoking worse and worse.

If you're yard is hilly or you run on slopes at all, I prefer 2 stroke. Love my toro. Did not like the price when I bought it $950.00 But after two seasons, I do not regret it. And will soon get another for my helper.

Scott

TurfGuyTX
10-05-2002, 12:10 AM
With your price, I'd go with the Lawnboy. You'll get years out of it for residential use. The Toro for that price would be a decent mower, but I think you'd happier with the Lawnboy. Good luck.

Swampbeast
10-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Get a commercial Toro, it will still be working when your great great grandkids are staring at it marveling how great great grandpa was so tough to use such a quaint piece of machinery. :D

TurfGuyTX
10-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Get a commercial Toro, it will still be working when your great great grandkids are staring at it marveling how great great grandpa was so tough to use such a quaint piece of machinery. :D

I'd recommend the same thing if it were'nt for the price restrictions he mentioned in his post. Lawnboys are nice mowers for consumers. Their made by the same people anyway.