PDA

View Full Version : DOT Truck #s question

mowcrazy
04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Hello all, after posting pics of my new enclosed trailer hooked to my truck someone said something about me being over the 10,000 gvw rating and needing dot stickers for my truck. Ive been trying to avoid it just because this is not just a work truck but also used for personal and I just hate to have the letters on when Im on my personal time.

Here is my question, I have a 1/2 ton pickup truck and bought a 16ft enclosed trailer that has the 5200lb axles under it. If I go ahead and get the dot stickers for the truck am I still illegal because they consider the truck to small to haul a trailer capable of hauling 10,400lbs.

Now, before everyone gets on me about how I have no business pulling this size trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, I just don't want to hear that. I just want to know if I will still be illegal in any way even though I have the #s on the truck. The truck has plenty enough power to do what I need it to do and trailer has brakes on both axles and stops great. I live out in the sticks and never get on interstates.

I got on the dot website and holly cow does it confuse me. Just wondered if anyone could help me out on here. Thanks for your time.

CLARK LAWN
04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
in Ohio if you don't cross state lines you don't need numbers.

Michdeere
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
in Ohio if you don't cross state lines you don't need numbers.

Sorry CL, the FMCSA website says otherwise...

To the O.P.--Go to: fmcsa.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot.htm
You'll get the straight story.

zlssefi
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Im going through this right now, got dot numbers last year and tomorrow i have a fmcsa safety audit. The federal rule is any vehicle with a COMBINED weight of 10,001 pounds or over is considered a CMV, commercial motor vehicle. Basically when your driving around without the trailer your fine. hook up the trailer and thats when the issue starts. Technically speaking if you wanted to register your trailer 400 pounds lighter you shouldnt have a problem....

MMADDUX
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Im going through this right now, got dot numbers last year and tomorrow i have a fmcsa safety audit. The federal rule is any vehicle with a COMBINED weight of 10,001 pounds or over is considered a CMV, commercial motor vehicle. Basically when your driving around without the trailer your fine. hook up the trailer and thats when the issue starts. Technically speaking if you wanted to register your trailer 400 pounds lighter you shouldnt have a problem....

Let me know how the safety audit goes. I am going to have mine soon and am not sure exactly what they are looking for.

zlssefi
04-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Make sure you have a file for all of your trucks and trailers and employees. Basically keep a log of maintenance and driver vehicle reports. For the employees they want a copy of licenses, medical cards, driving records and application for employment, those kinds of things.

blakdawg
04-29-2011, 06:40 AM
The gov put these 10,001 requirements on hold in Ohio for right now. PUCO ran some experiments and gave informational pull over last year. Gov says its going to hurt small bussiness right now. Yes its confusing. I understand no stickers in Ohio. No log under 150 miles from home. Out of state travel another ball game. Year truck inspection & DOT physical. Not sure about CDL's. That is what I have been told on this mess. Big brother wants your money and take the small guy out of compition. Thinking about going to the democratic state of russia and do bussiness, free trade. LOL

mowcrazy
04-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Guys i really appreciate your input on my post but I still have the question of can I get into trouble if I pull this trailer with a half ton truck will they give me a ticket if they think the trailer is to much for the truck. I feel that its not but.................................... I put a leveling hitch on the truck and it doesnt put the truck on its but. Trailer has twin axle brakes and truck stops the trailer great but i know its a numbers game.

I just don't want to be pulled over and told that my truck is not big enough (safety) to pull the trailer. Trailer weighs 2500lbs and I calculated the weight of what would be in the trailer and that would be approx another 2500lbs. That would put me pulling 5,000lbs behind the truck. That doesnt sound like to much to me at all but to odot the truck may have "to much of a load"

zlssefi
04-29-2011, 07:13 AM
I dont think its too much of a load, if you can find a place to weigh the rear axle of your truck, weigh it, as long as the rear axle gvw isnt exceeded i dont think theres anything they can say...

IES
04-29-2011, 07:17 AM
A lot of states are going to go back to 26001gvw. Indiana will be going back to it in June. As long as you don't cross state lines the intrastate laws will be back to 26k here.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowcrazy
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
I dont think its too much of a load, if you can find a place to weigh the rear axle of your truck, weigh it, as long as the rear axle gvw isnt exceeded i dont think theres anything they can say...

That is the answer I was looking for right there. I know its not going to be over though because it is capable of 10,400lbs on the axles and im going to be around 5000lbs.

ALC-GregH
04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
They can't do anything if you don't load up everything to weight more then the GCVW.

I mentioned this to you because I talked directly to a DOT officer about all this. It pizz's me off that I see guys all day long that have no DOT numbers pulling a dual axle trailer and a 3/4 ton truck. It's all about the GCVW. I'd write all the tag numbers down and turn them in but I don't want bad karma. DOT is a joke when all you're doing is cutting freakin grass.

32vld
04-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Guys i really appreciate your input on my post but I still have the question of can I get into trouble if I pull this trailer with a half ton truck will they give me a ticket if they think the trailer is to much for the truck. I feel that its not but.................................... I put a leveling hitch on the truck and it doesnt put the truck on its but. Trailer has twin axle brakes and truck stops the trailer great but i know its a numbers game.

I just don't want to be pulled over and told that my truck is not big enough (safety) to pull the trailer. Trailer weighs 2500lbs and I calculated the weight of what would be in the trailer and that would be approx another 2500lbs. That would put me pulling 5,000lbs behind the truck. That doesnt sound like to much to me at all but to odot the truck may have "to much of a load"

This not rocket science. Find out what your trucks towing capacity, your trailers weight and load capacity. Long as you are under the 10,000 DOT rule and not over your truck trailer rating there should be no problem.

CLARK LAWN
04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
it does not matter how much you are hauling it is based off of what the truck and trailer is rated for. if you have a tandem with 5200# axles that is 10400# no way around that. now take what your truck is rated for 6800# i think and that puts you at 17200#. i dont know what the GCWR is a half ton truck but you will be close. you also will need an 18K sticker on your plates. if you get stopped without the proper sticker they can impound your truck, the impound fees and the fines will far out weight the cost of the sticker.

CLARK LAWN
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Sorry CL, the FMCSA website says otherwise...

To the O.P.--Go to: fmcsa.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot.htm
You'll get the straight story.

we are considered a "not for hire" intrastate(dont cross state line). i have sat though 3 seminars on this over the winter. Ohio recinded the law in the beging of March.

ALC-GregH
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
we are considered a "not for hire" intrastate(dont cross state line). i have sat though 3 seminars on this over the winter. Ohio recinded the law in the beging of March.

In PA you don't need DOT numbers unless you're over 17K GCWR. If I go across state line to MD, I need DOT numbers if I'm over 10,001 GCWR. The DOT officer I talked to about all this said that PENDOT thinks it's totally stupid to require a small lawn mowing service to have to comply at the 10K rating. That's why they b umped up the weight to 17K. You just can't cross the state line if you're over that 10K.

zlssefi
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
The inspector just left, i scored a 1.....dont freak out, anything over a 30 is considered dangerous to be on the road. So basically i aced it. Make sure you have a file for each truck with a maintenance record, a copy of the reg, title, insurance, and federal annual inspections. For each employee, you need a copy of their employment app, license, med card and hours of service records. Make sure their hours of service show where they have been when the started, when the finished and total amount of hours of actual driving....good luck!

Mark Oomkes
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Technically speaking if you wanted to register your trailer 400 pounds lighter you shouldnt have a problem....

Has nothing to do with what it is registered at.

Everything to do with GVW\GVWR.

The motor carrier guys don't have the ability to determine the towing capacity of every truck out there. As long as the truck and trailer meet whatever requirements there are--brakes on every axle?--you will be fine.

Richard Martin
04-29-2011, 05:24 PM
It's the GCWR or Gross Combined Weight Rating that tells you how much your total load including truck, trailer and contents may weigh. It varies from truck to truck. Some of the criteria that use to determine the rating is engine, transmission, 2 or 4 wheel drive, rear end ratio and a whole host of items. If you still have your owner's manual you can look in it and find out what your truck is rated for. If you don't have the manual the information is easily findable on the Internet.

If you don't want to permanently adhere the numbers to your truck you may attach them to a magnet and put it on your truck when you are using it commercially.

Not all states require DOT numbers. Not all states use Federal USDOT numbers. If you have a GCVW over 10,000 and go over state lines while working and pulling your trailer you are required to have USDOT numbers.

To answer your original question...

As long as your truck and trailer at the moment they scale you aren't in excess of the GCVW of the truck then you should not be ticketed for exceeding the GCVW.

specialtylc
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I had magnetic signs made. Cost was $5 per side for 1.5 inch lettering.

Michdeere
04-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Ohio recinded the law in the beging of March.

Well, I stand corrected if they rescinded the law...*trucewhiteflag*

mowcrazy
04-30-2011, 08:58 AM
This not rocket science. Find out what your trucks towing capacity, your trailers weight and load capacity. Long as you are under the 10,000 DOT rule and not over your truck trailer rating there should be no problem.

alright then, lets see, im thinking Ive got the right idea now but let me see what you fellas think. I just got out my owners manual on my 4x4 1998 z71 half ton pickup. My truck has 373 gears and my book saids that my max trailer load weight that can be towed is 6,500lbs. My enclosed weighs 2590lbs and there will be right at 3000lbs of stuff in the Trailer and thats me calculating on the heavy side. That puts me at 5,590lbs. So I wouldnt need them??????

Im gonna also give you the info that is inside the door jam real quick.

Gvwr = 6200lbs gawr frt = 3925 gawr rr = 3750

Trailer is rated at 10,400

ALC-GregH
04-30-2011, 09:09 AM
alright then, lets see, im thinking Ive got the right idea now but let me see what you fellas think. I just got out my owners manual on my 4x4 1998 z71 half ton pickup. My truck has 373 gears and my book saids that my max trailer load weight that can be towed is 6,500lbs. My enclosed weighs 2590lbs and there will be right at 3000lbs of stuff in the Trailer and thats me calculating on the heavy side. That puts me at 5,590lbs. So I wouldnt need them??????

Im gonna also give you the info that is inside the door jam real quick.

Gvwr = 6200lbs gawr frt = 3925 gawr rr = 3750

Trailer is rated at 10,400

So the truck GVWR is 6200lbs and the trailer GVWR is 10,400? Is that right? Is this what the sticker said on the truck AND trailer? They don't go by what the actual truck can tow, they go by what the total combined weight is of the stickers. Add the two together and that is the weight you go by. If it's over 10,001lbs, you'll need to check with your state to see what they require. That's IF you don't cross state lines to do any work. IF you cross the state line to do any work, you'll more then likely need to comply with federal DOT.

IES
04-30-2011, 12:05 PM
You know what people always forget is what the ball is rated or what the hitch is rated. If you have a 25k GVWR means squat if your using a 3500 rated ball. Or just 5k rated hitch. Your rating is what the weakest link is!
Posted via Mobile Device

mowcrazy
04-30-2011, 11:49 PM
So the truck GVWR is 6200lbs and the trailer GVWR is 10,400? Is that right? Is this what the sticker said on the truck AND trailer? They don't go by what the actual truck can tow, they go by what the total combined weight is of the stickers. Add the two together and that is the weight you go by. If it's over 10,001lbs, you'll need to check with your state to see what they require. That's IF you don't cross state lines to do any work. IF you cross the state line to do any work, you'll more then likely need to comply with federal DOT.

First off I WILL NEVER BE CROSSING STATE LINES. EVER PERIOD.

Yes the truck is 6200lb trailer pulling capacity

The trailer axles are both 5200lb axles and thats where I got the 10,400lb.

mowcrazy
04-30-2011, 11:55 PM
You know what people always forget is what the ball is rated or what the hitch is rated. If you have a 25k GVWR means squat if your using a 3500 rated ball. Or just 5k rated hitch. Your rating is what the weakest link is!
Posted via Mobile Device

I actually bought the insert from the fella I got the trailer from. It is one of those big arss truck leveling deals. has the adjustable chain links to level the truck out and its made for a lot bigger equipment that im pulling. He used it to pull his racecare trailer which he still has (24ft).

Ya know what fellas, I guess Im just tired of thinking about it. Chances of me getting caught where I live is not very likely and Ive decided not to letter the trailer nor do i have lettering on my truck so piss on it. Im gonna do whatever I want I guess is what Im saying. The truck pulls the dam trailer fine and stops it great to. I do really appreciate everyones input but obviously everyone seems to have different ideas and there are no straight forward answers. F it, Ill do as I please...................................

Oakleaf landscape
05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
You're not going to get pulled over for towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton. I pull an 8.5x20 with my 1/2 ton. And yes I have the 5200lb axles on it. With everything in the trailer it weighs in just under 7000lbs. Truck pulls it fine, just mpgs suck... Btw your trailer weights more than 2500lbs. Mine empty weighs just under 4400lbs...

straightlineland
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I as well as all my drivers went and got their class "c" licenses last year (upto 25,999#)...what is involved in getting medical card and where do i go?

Horsepower Lawns
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
A lot of states are going to go back to 26001gvw. Indiana will be going back to it in June. As long as you don't cross state lines the intrastate laws will be back to 26k here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indiana dumped the 10,001lbs stuff in March of 2010, but I was told they were going back to it in March of 2011. Have they dropped it again?

ALC-GregH
05-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Ya know what fellas, I guess Im just tired of thinking about it. Chances of me getting caught where I live is not very likely and Ive decided not to letter the trailer nor do i have lettering on my truck so piss on it. Im gonna do whatever I want I guess is what Im saying. The truck pulls the dam trailer fine and stops it great to. I do really appreciate everyones input but obviously everyone seems to have different ideas and there are no straight forward answers. F it, Ill do as I please...................................

Do whatever you want. The fact is, if you DO get pulled over, you're looking at some serious fines.

ALC-GregH
05-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I as well as all my drivers went and got their class "c" licenses last year (upto 25,999#)...what is involved in getting medical card and where do i go?

I'm going out on a limb here and it's a long shot but, I'd say a doctor and a physical is what's involved.

Greenery
05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Do whatever you want. The fact is, if you DO get pulled over, you're looking at some serious fines.
even more so if you are involved in a vehicular accident.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
even more so if you are involved in a vehicular accident.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's right and accidents happen.

CLARK LAWN
05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
read some of his other posts, he is part of the problem with this industry.

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Well I guess Im an idiot for trusting someones word. The fella that sold me the trailer said that he ordered the heavy duty 5200lb axles with the trailer but Ive got the certificate of origin right here in front of me and it saids 7000 Gvwr. That does mean 2 3500lb axles correct?

Oakleaf landscape
05-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Go look at the rims on the trailer. If they have 5 lug nuts then it's a 3500lb axle, if the wheel has 6 lug nuts then it's a 5200lb axle.

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 10:30 PM
read some of his other posts, he is part of the problem with this industry.

Listen Prique, Ive run a very successful business for the past 14 years, sitting an my ass counting money all winter. Smart asses like you are whats wrong with this site, thats for sure. You can stick it.

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM
You're not going to get pulled over for towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton. I pull an 8.5x20 with my 1/2 ton. And yes I have the 5200lb axles on it. With everything in the trailer it weighs in just under 7000lbs. Truck pulls it fine, just mpgs suck... Btw your trailer weights more than 2500lbs. Mine empty weighs just under 4400lbs...

It saids on my certificate of origin that the shipping weight is 2590lbs. I snapped a cell pic. Heck I even went out and matched the numbers on the certificate and to be sure that it was the right certificate of origin. It all matches.

mowcrazy
05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Go look at the rims on the trailer. If they have 5 lug nuts then it's a 3500lb axle, if the wheel has 6 lug nuts then it's a 5200lb axle.

sure enough it is 5 lug. huh, ill be damed. Not that I care. Id never be hauling anthing near that heavy.

georgiagrass
05-02-2011, 01:35 AM

Most doc in a box locations can do a DOT physical. It's not a big deal; last one I paid for was $75.

Mark Oomkes
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And for this discussion, it doesn't matter one bit what the hitch is rated at.

The only time that will really matter is if one gets in an accident.

Regarding DOT numbers, Med certs, and annual inspections, GVW(R) is the only thing that matters.

I'm going out on a limb here and it's a long shot but, I'd say a doctor and a physical is what's involved.

lol

Duffster
05-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Regarding DOT numbers, Med certs, and annual inspections, GVWR is the only thing that matters.

You sure aboot that? ;)

IES
05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Indiana dumped the 10,001lbs stuff in March of 2010, but I was told they were going back to it in March of 2011. Have they dropped it again?

Yes I confirmed this it is dropped. 10k rule does not apply to intrastate unless you are hauling people or their stuff for money (for hire)
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Commando
05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
D.O.T. debate is such a waste of time ask 10 different people get different answers, not even the police know the law...:rolleyes:

biodale
01-30-2012, 01:06 AM
In Washington state for 2012 it is 16001 Lbs for combination of truck and trailer. My cargo mate has a GVWR of 7,0000 lbs. I am checking to see if my 1 ton chev desiel is below 11,000 lbs. Man I hope so.

Richard Martin
01-30-2012, 01:17 AM
In Washington state for 2012 it is 16001 Lbs for combination of truck and trailer. My cargo mate has a GVWR of 7,0000 lbs. I am checking to see if my 1 ton chev desiel is below 11,000 lbs. Man I hope so.

I'd think that you'd want to be below 9,000 pounds. 9 plus 7 equals 16. At least in North Carolina it does. Washington state may be different. :)

Duffster
01-30-2012, 07:38 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: