PDA

View Full Version : wet Bobcat walkbehind Q

grassmansam
04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Yo guys, mowing season is finally in motion for me here in NY. The past few weeks of weather brought nothing but spring showers, leaving behind some soaked grass for me... woo. I have noticed that whenever an excess of water gets splashed up on my drive belts it begins to slip. I can easily correct this by giving it a slight push to get it back up to its proper speed. Can I possibly adjust the tension on the belts or is this a sign of worn belts? Purhaps im just bellyaching and should just make sure my next mower is a hydro :hammerhead: Thanks guys.

Bumpmaster
04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Get some belt dressing and spray it on. Belts will grip better.

topsites
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
No, this is a common problem with belt drives and water,
in 10 years all I've ever used is belt drive Wb's.

Belt dressing does help but you almost have to spray it about once every yard,
I don't particularly care for it but the good news is that belt dressing isn't terribly expensive.

Mike Fronczak
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Thats the bad thing about belt drives, hydro dont slip but cost a lot more.

jiggz
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
you might need new belts but that it just what happens when they get wet.. how old is the mower?.. the pullys on the jacksfafts comming out of the tranny.. or if its real old..gearbox do wear out after time and alow alot more slack in the drive.. if the top of the belt is flush with the pulley its probally time for new pulleys.. the belts are supposed to sit up about an 1/8 inch out of em .. its not gonna be a wonder fix but it will help..

grassmansam
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
you might need new belts but that it just what happens when they get wet.. how old is the mower?.. the pullys on the jacksfafts comming out of the tranny.. or if its real old..gearbox do wear out after time and alow alot more slack in the drive.. if the top of the belt is flush with the pulley its probally time for new pulleys.. the belts are supposed to sit up about an 1/8 inch out of em .. its not gonna be a wonder fix but it will help..

I got a 2001 Bobcat walk behind with a 54" cut and a 15hp kohler command. The only other owner was a homeowner with a 1 1/2 arce yard. I have noticed that the sandpaper like texture on the top part of my belt is worn down... perhaps its time for them to retire.