PDA

View Full Version : Technical help.. what kind of socket?

ryebread211
04-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Having a problem with traction control on my Simplicity Broadmoor.. Simplicity says I need to see how many pounds the transmission breaks loose at with the parking brake on. (instructions from Simplicity). Im trying to attach torque wrench to this.. how the heck do I attach it???

ecurbthims
04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
you need to find something that fits perfectly on the shaft ,then weld a socket to the whatever you found that fits the shaft .I would try to find a pulley because they usually have a large flat area you can weld your socket to .

tailboardtech
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
yup what he said when i have to do that i go to harbor freight and get a chepo socket and weld it up

jiggz
04-29-2011, 12:33 AM
yea what he said^^

this sounds stupid..but if you dont have a welder...wrap duck tape around that shaft and build it up to about 1/2 inch oversize..

lets say the shaft is 1 inch.. wrap it with a quality tape untill its 1 1/2 thick..then hammer on a 1 1/4 or 1 3/8ths deep socket or whatever works.. then wrap tape around that socket to the shaft

sounds dumb but you should be able to move a mountain with it :)

Greyst1
04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Pully, then weld a socket. Sounds like a pain.

jiggz
04-29-2011, 12:56 AM
:hammerhead: lol

C6H12O6
04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Just throwing this out there. It might work for you.

Torque is pretty simple if you apply 1 lb 1 foot away its 1 ft/lb...duh right.

If you can put the hub back on temporarily or some other part with a nut you can get a socket on, I think you can get a pretty close idea with math. Besides it is likely to be either right or totally messed up anyway.

If you take:

the overall length from the pivot point / the length of the wrench x the torque the wrench was at when it broke loose, it should equal close to the torque at the shaft.

So for example if the nut is 4 inches from the center of the spindle and your wrench is 18" long and the wrench was at 65 ft/lb when it broke loose.

22" / 18" x 65 = 79.4 or about 80 ft/lb

I think this will work. Also be careful you don't apply like 150 ft/lb to a small nut or something :weightlifter:. Just kidding, anyway good luck.

rlitman
04-29-2011, 01:59 AM
this sounds stupid..but if you dont have a welder...wrap duck tape around that shaft and build it up to about 1/2 inch oversize . . . sounds dumb but you should be able to move a mountain with it :)

Doesn't sound dumb to me, although I'm thinking the tape might slip a little.

Another option, pick up one of those "universal" sockets. The ones with the spring loaded pins. Then put a piece of keystock in that slot, push that socket on the end and turn.

Glucose is correct, but the angle formed by the line between the hub and the nut you turn, and the line of the shaft of the torque wrench can change the calculation.

IF the torque wrench is perpendicular to the line from the center of rotation to the nut, then the reading on the torque wrench will be the torque applied to the shaft (this is because only the component of the length from the center of rotation to the point being pushed that is perpendicular to the force applied is generating torque). That's the easy way.

IF the wrench is parallel to that line, then you would need the formula above. Any other angles and you're going to need a calculator that can calculate the sine of an angle, and a protractor.

Richard Martin
04-29-2011, 04:03 AM
I see only 2 correct ways to do this.

1: Get the proper adapter from the transmission manufacturer.

2: Get a shaft collar that will fit the shaft. Weld a socket to the end of the shaft collar and use that to measure the resistance.

http://images.grainger.com/B331_32/images/products/250x250/Shaft-Collar-2ADP1_AS01.JPG

This one has a ID of 1.125" which is probably just about perfect I'd be willing to guess.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RULAND-MANUFACTURING-Shaft-Collar-2ADV4

topsites
04-29-2011, 06:39 AM
I see only 2 correct ways to do this.

1: Get the proper adapter from the transmission manufacturer.

2: Get a shaft collar that will fit the shaft. Weld a socket to the end of the shaft collar and use that to measure the resistance.

This one has a ID of 1.125" which is probably just about perfect I'd be willing to guess.

You mean, do it the right way?

C6H12O6
04-30-2011, 01:54 AM
To the OP...

Did you figure it out? What did you do?

http://images.grainger.com/B331_32/images/products/250x250/Shaft-Collar-2ADP1_AS01.JPG

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RULAND-MANUFACTURING-Shaft-Collar-2ADV4

Are you going to run that set screw down on the shaft? Looks like a good way to tear something up.

Also if you choose to weld something just weld a nut on, it is cheaper. Besides it will be easier to weld.

Good luck dude!

Richard Martin
04-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Are you going to run that set screw down on the shaft? Looks like a good way to tear something up.

Also if you choose to weld something just weld a nut on, it is cheaper. Besides it will be easier to weld.

I meant to say nut. It was early.

There is a keyway in the shaft. You can run the set screw into the keyway and crank on it without damaging the shaft.