PDA

View Full Version : 33 inch Troy Blit

dogdjour
04-29-2011, 05:51 AM
I have a chance to buy a 33 inch Troy Bilt mower.
I mow residential yards on the side, nights and weekends.
Yes I have a business license and pay taxes, insurance etc.
I only want it for a season or two until I can afford to buy a real walk behind.
It would really help on yards I have been doing with my 21".
I have read good reviews and bad, just like with most mowers. Troy Bilt is MTD now right?
The guy is asking 600. No way I'm paying that much but what do you think I should offer?:confused:

dogdjour
04-29-2011, 06:03 AM
by the way does anyone know when they stopped making these?

MowingMowingMowing
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't waste your $$$, those mowers are crap.

GordonCBP
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
You are correct MTD bought out TroyBilt/Gardenway and Bolens a few years back and the new products they build are nothning like these other brands used to be. Alot of plastic junk parts and bottom of the line engines. Don't waste your money on something that isn't going to last

lawnboy dan
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
get a sutech stealth instead

ed2hess
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
I had one of those about 15 years ago and didn't have much trouble with it. Like any light weight machine you have to really watch and keep things on it repaired. After using 21" we were impressed, it was a mulching unit and did a very good job. I wouldn't give more than $400 assuming the engine is good and .....can you still get parts?

Mowingman
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Parts are available through the MTD website. They actually cut very nice. However, they are fragile machines and can not stand ANY hard use/abuse. If you use it carefully, it could last several years. If you hit a big rock, or a ground rod, the blades will jump out of time and crash together. This, almost 100% of the time, will destroy one, or both of the blade spindles, and sometimes bend the deck.
So, yes, it can be a useful mower with a nice cut, IF, you are careful with it. The above mentioned price is fair.
Cub sells the same machine, cheapened up. Ariens/Gravely makes a similar machine that is a good bit more sturdy.

Will P.C.
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
My neighbor has a troy built/gardenway riding lawn mower that he paid 200 for. It is around 10 years old and has been beat to hell w/o proper maint. The owner is a really nice guy and let a neighborhood college guy cut 4-6 yards a week with it for 4 of the years. I know it has barely been maintained b/c he did not realize he need to change the oil/filters/spark plug each season until I told him about it last year. I have no idea about the previous owner and how he maintained it, but I believe the guy lived in Miami, a postage stamp sized yard so it did not get worked too often. It still runs very nice and actually gives a better cut than my John Deere.

How many yard are doing? How is the terrain of these yards? Is it so rough that you will have a chance of hitting large rocks you cannot see? How many hours a week will it be used? Can you do small repairs yourself and troubleshoot? If not, don't bother buying. You will end up taking it to a mechanic and they aren't cheap. The bill could very well be more than the mower is worth.

Residential machines have limits. A decent residential machine and knowledgeable owner could very well last you a 5 years with only picking up a few yards.

gebby
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
I have one. As mentioned they are pretty light. I used it for a few years. They are hard to use on hills. Didn't cut too bad though. I ended up cutting out the deck as it was a mulcher. Not made for heavy duty work. Also as mentioned the blades are timed. If they get out of time you and everyone around will know it. Better than a 21 inch though. Those are fixed decks and will beat you to death on a bumpy lot. Mine has a Briigs Industrial engine on it. Hasn't been started in at least 2 years. I guarantee you, that if I put fresh gas in it, cleaned the sediment bowl it will start in less than 5 pulls. The motor was the best thing on it. I would buy for around 300.00 if you are set and have to have it. Come to Ohio and I will sell you mine for 200.00 complete with a home made bagger that only works in July and August when the grass is good and dry. A brand new set of blades too. Really your money would be better spent on something heavier. I'd go find a nice Gravely, Scag 36 incher. You will be a lot happier in the long run.

Lawn Dog2001
04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Good advice by everyone. About 12 to 15 years ago I owned 2 of these units. I can only echo everything that everyone else has already said. They are great starter walk behinds, as long as you use them carefully. Check the blade timing daily in the morning, check for loose bolts daily, and grease the height adjustment crank daily. I actually think they are pretty nice machines. I wouldnt pay more than $300 for 1, and thats in really good condition.