PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Credit Cards with Square

Lagniappe
04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Yesterday I signed up with Square, to start accepting credit cards with my iPhone 4. So far, I am pretty impressed. Setup within minutes, instant approval, and from what I have seen very competitive rates.

2.75% with card reader(free, they say it takes a couple days to get). If you enter credit card numbers manually, Square costs 3.5% + $.15 per transaction. No monthly fees.

Cheaper than PayPal, and from what I have seen, cheaper than even what Sam's Club has been trying to sell me.

Most of my customers always have a check waiting for me, or if billed monthly, are great payers, but am excited to offer an alternative.

Who here uses Square, and your thoughts? From the reviews at Apple, people love it. To be honest, am even thinking when I offer to accept credit cards, explain to the customer, (and put it in writing) that it will include the appropriate fee. I don't believe any of my customers will mind, if they choose to pay by credit card, to have the fee included in on the price. I think that this will lead to more prepaid services, say for a month at a time. Just thinking out loud.

guyinmichigan
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Got Square about a month ago for one of my bigger customers... received the reader about 4 days later...

Ran a couple tests using my own credit card.. just running through $20 charges. Scanned perfectly, asks for a signature on my droid with finger, and it was in my business account 2 days later.. that was great but only $20.

Went to my big customer 2 days ago.. they owed my $7500... there limit was $5,000 so we scanned at $4,900... authorized... she signed on my phone. She input her email address and it immediately emails a receipt... Got an email last night (1 day later) that it will be in my account within 3 business days.

Checked bank this morning (2 days later) and it's in there.... BAM!

at 2.75% that is very reasonable, with no minimums, no monthly fees, no equipment charges... if you are not using this you will soon.. It's a winner.

got a check for the other $2,500 so all my snow accounts paid.. .finally.. bring on the lawns.

LaLawnGuy
04-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Checking into it now. Hope it will add some convenience and speed up the whole process.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lagniappe
04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Square pinged my bank account with 2 small deposits, and then withdrew it. Got on-line and verified. Am waiting on my card reader, thinking it should be in by mid week. Can now officially accept credit cards. Can manually type them in, until my card reader comes in.

How simple. It has taken me longer to type this post, than to set up this merchant account.

The more I think about having this, the more I think, this is going to do nothing but help my business. I have a great list of customers, and most pay cash, or by check on the spot. I do very little invoicing. But am thinking that alot of my customers might use this, and prepay for services, say a month at a time. Might help with cash flow.

Will keep ya'll updated!

icex
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
I use it also and have had no problems. I emailed them asking for extra readers and it took them a couple of days to reply, but once they did I got them two days later no questions asked.

nightshutter
04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Was trying to setup pay pal with my quickbooks. Pay pal doesn't support mac! :wall thought i would see what the folks over at lawnsite are using. This program sounds pretty good! do any of you use it with quickbooks? Good Bad? I like how you can use it on your phone. Make them pay you on the spot! i like it $$$$$

nightshutter
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Can you put a link in your invoice?

icex
04-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Was trying to setup pay pal with my quickbooks. Pay pal doesn't support mac! :wall thought i would see what the folks over at lawnsite are using. This program sounds pretty good! do any of you use it with quickbooks? Good Bad? I like how you can use it on your phone. Make them pay you on the spot! i like it $$$$$

Only bad thing about it is it only works on the Droid and Iphone. It won't work at all on my blackberry which sucks horribly, so I have a droid for this.

bill1500
04-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I heard that you need a us bank account for this. Is that true, or can it be used with any bank account?
Posted via Mobile Device

nightshutter
04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Anyone know if square syncs with quickbooks? Website? Invoices?
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
To be honest, am even thinking when I offer to accept credit cards, explain to the customer, (and put it in writing) that it will include the appropriate fee. I don't believe any of my customers will mind, if they choose to pay by credit card, to have the fee included in on the price.

This would violate nearly every credit card merchant agreement for credit card acceptance and could lead to somewhat serious fines.

Lagniappe
04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
This would violate nearly every credit card merchant agreement for credit card acceptance and could lead to somewhat serious fines.

Not in the Great State of Louisiana. As long as the customer is willing, and you have it in writing. No funny business doing it behind the customers back.

Lagniappe
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Anyone know if square syncs with quickbooks? Website? Invoices?
Posted via Mobile Device

Here is what I pulled off the squareup.com website.

Square makes it easy to download your payments and track them in your accounting software of choice. On the bottom of your Payments page, you can download all (or some) of your transactions into a CSV file. You can download a similar CSV file on your Deposits page as well.

Here is a list of the fields in the CSV so you can easily sort them in your favorite accounting software.

•Date
•Time
•Transaction Type
•Payment Type (card or cash)
•Subtotal
•Sales Tax
•Tips
•TotalFee
•Net
•Payment Method (swiped, keyed in, or cash)
•Card Brand
•Card Number (last 4 digits)
•Details (link to payment on https://squareup.com/payments)
•Payment ID
•Device Name
•Description

Businesses use many types of programs to track their finances. Excel, Numbers, and Quickbooks are some of the most popular ones. It is usually straightforward to integrate our spreadsheet, but Quickbooks takes a little bit of work to get it imported properly. Check out Intuit's support site on how best to import CSV files. If you're using another type of accounting software, we recommend that you check out their FAQ on how to import these types of files.

Lagniappe
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Card reader came in today. Four business days. Am stoked to use it. Only a handful of customer that I have talked to, said they would rather swipe their card. Will keep ya'll updated when I get to use it.

guyinmichigan
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Had a landscaping customer that we just couldn't seem to meet up.. I think it was conveinant for her not to be home when I could pick up the check.

So I call her for third time and she's not going to be home... I ask if she would like to pay with CC.. she said she could do that... I took number and info over the phone and it was done...

Square gets their 3.5% (because manually input... 2.75% if scanned) but not having to drive to house or wait any longer for payment was worth more then the charge...

Square has already made dealing with 2 customers a lot easier.

As far as the $1000 limit.. I saw that too and was a little put off by this, but the charge I did for $4,900 was approved and in my bank account in 3 days... the entire $4,900... so it's been a great service for me so far.

WheatBookkeeping
05-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I got to see a demo of SQUARE the other day. It’s just my personal opinion, but I think SQUARE is beyond cool and the only way to go.

zturncutter
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Intuit's version. http://intuit-gopayment.com/gp?cid=ppc_google_GoPay-TopIPS-NB_intuit-credit-card_Broad&ef_id=YrdNm5aNBSQAAAvK:20110512012408:s

Lagniappe
05-14-2011, 02:10 PM
A quick update. Used it for the first time on 5-7-11, Saturday. Money was deposited in my account Monday 5-9-11. Very impressed. A couple of emails, at each step of the process. Am impressed so far.

stlouis grass cutter
05-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Only bad thing about it is it only works on the Droid and Iphone. It won't work at all on my blackberry which sucks horribly, so I have a droid for this.

Here is another service that is Blackberry friendly. Hopefully this helps. It's called Intuit Go Payment. Never used it personally.

http://intuit-gopayment.com/gp?cid=ppc_google_GoPay-TopIPS-NB_intuit-credit-card_Broad&ef_id=YrdNm5aNBSQAAAvK:20110512012408:s