PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do in this situation?

NPMinc
04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
As a result of this April's record rainfall we have been recieving a record number of calls for a 1 time mowing of peoples yards that usually mow themselves but yards have become totally overgrown. I decided that I will only do these for a MINIMUM of $100 paid at time of service. This is for a complete service including bagging/removal of grass, trimming etc. Most people arent interested when they hear the price, but the we did do 11 of these this week alone and have 6 more scheduled for next week, and have been able to upsell 4 cleanups/mulchings. Was wondering how others are handling this?

GravyTrain
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
That's a better approach than I would have taken. As a part time solo operator, I only have so much time, so more than likely, I would have simply told them I don't have the time.

I'd rather keep all my regulars happy (recurring income), as opposed to making double my projected rate for a few jobs once a summer.

NPMinc
04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
My regular customers have been serviced, and are happy so thats not a concern. I handled the extra workload by going out and doing all but 4 of the 1 timers myself, as well as working longer days (dawn till dark) on the days that were nice out! On a side note just got 2 more calls regarding this so looks like my opening morning turkey hunt is gonna be cut short tomm AM as I wanna get a few done myself this weekend!

PROCUT1
04-29-2011, 07:39 PM
100.....Or no extra charge with a season contract.

vencops
04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
I just tell 'em (I had 2 of these last week) I'll do their lawn and keep up with my time. I bill out $45/hr.....and it'll be what it'll be.

I picked up one new account from these two....and, I'll likely pick up the other.

I estimated what I thought it would take, once I got the yard "tamed" the way I want it.....and gave him a price for future work, there.

Will P.C.
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
I am not sure how big these yards are. What would you charge them if they were your normal customers?

The notion of charging less and having them call you back is a much better idea IMO.

TNGrassCutter
04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
My regular customers have been serviced, and are happy so thats not a concern. I handled the extra workload by going out and doing all but 4 of the 1 timers myself, as well as working longer days (dawn till dark) on the days that were nice out! On a side note just got 2 more calls regarding this so looks like my opening morning turkey hunt is gonna be cut short tomm AM as I wanna get a few done myself this weekend!

Your turkey season is just starting!? Where are you I can't see it on my phone? We only have this weekend and 2 more left here started April 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

NPMinc
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
I am not sure how big these yards are. What would you charge them if they were your normal customers?

The notion of charging less and having them call you back is a much better idea IMO.

As stated in the OP they normally mow thier own but this spring they have gotten out of hand due to the record rains, they have no intention of becoming regular customers, just simply want a 1 time service. I equate my pricing of these as in line with any tradesman such as plumber etc where you pay more for an "emergency" trip then you do for a scheduled service etc. Also I explained the reason for the larger price to the callers and thanked them for the call. Even the ones I was able to upsell the spring cleanup to declined a seasonal contract at normal rates, so i will stand by my way of doing this and the approx $3000 i will gross from these is a nice unexpected bonus!

ALC-GregH
04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
As stated in the OP they normally mow thier own but this spring they have gotten out of hand due to the record rains, they have no intention of becoming regular customers, just simply want a 1 time service. I equate my pricing of these as in line with any tradesman such as plumber etc where you pay more for an "emergency" trip then you do for a scheduled service etc. Also I explained the reason for the larger price to the callers and thanked them for the call. Even the ones I was able to upsell the spring cleanup to declined a seasonal contract at normal rates, so i will stand by my way of doing this and the approx $3000 i will gross from these is a nice unexpected bonus!

Rock on. I've done the same thing only I've managed to land 2 new accounts after they saw what I did with the mess they had. :) I told each one that I'd have to charge more the first trip to get it under control, after that it would be a weekly rate.

ashgrove landscaping
04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice job. Hell if you get too busy just hire part time help to keep up with your regular schedule. These people sure aren't going out there themselves. Our service is underpaid as it is and now they want us to jump when they say so. Nope. $100 please. Or more of course depending on the property. Like the previous post said, it's an emergency service. I like it!!

topsites
04-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I'll do it at regular price but I can't understand why they would lie to me, acting like they want regular service
when they know full and well it's a one time mow, that pisses me off because I end up going through the
whole rigmarole of setting them up an account and all of that...

Worse still is showing up 10-14 days later and ooops, it's already cut...

When for the same price they could have just told me upfront, but let me stop and just think ...

vencops
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Is it just me.....or might a recurring $60 be worth a helluva lot more than a one-time $100?