PDA

View Full Version : I need help with getting more business

Byerley
04-29-2011, 07:07 PM
I have been passing out flyers and I am not getting any calls for the most part. I am running out of ideas. I wanted to know if any one has tried cold calling out of the phone book.

vencops
04-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Give it time.

I'm getting calls, almost daily, via word of mouth on existing customers. I bought 2,500 door hangers, and I haven't had time to hang a single one.

Good luck.

delphied
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
The secret to getting more customers is to mow for half the going rates. Thats how they do it around here.

Golfpro21
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
do you own a house...if so turn it into your showcase property...get it so nice that everyone walking and driving buy wants their's to look like yours.

If you dont own a house, offer to look after someone's property on a busy corner lot, simply offer to look after it and all you want in return is the costs of your products, so if your cost for ferts is $30 for season, get $30 back, if seed costs youX get X back, fuel cost etc....but do not charge any labour

We do this for 3 properties we hand picked.....our costs are approx $400 per property, we charge the owner this cost.....but it has generated over 30 new clients in just under 1 month.

jsslawncare
04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
The secret to getting more customers is to mow for half the going rates. Thats how they do it around here.

That's how I started. Now I'm a dollar a minute and turn work away to friends. (but I also have a yellowpage ad)

nativeCO
04-30-2011, 01:30 AM
I think that you can spend as much money as you want in flyers, advertising, etc., but what it comes down to is whether or not you do good work at an honest price. I can't explain why, but it seems like good things come back to people who do good honest work. Word of mouth gets me the most customers. When you think about it, it makes sense that a customer would rather hire someone from a referral rather than one out of a million flyers they receive every day.

nativeCO
04-30-2011, 01:33 AM

Don't mow for half the going rates. That ruins it for everyone. Just keep the rate up at a standard price, then everyone's happy. Do good work and you should have nothing to worry about. Customers will find you one way or another.

NBL
04-30-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=nativeCO;4009458]Don't mow for half the going rates. That ruins it for everyone. Just keep the rate up at a standard price, then everyone's happy. Do good work and you should have nothing to worry about. Customers will find you one way or another.[/QUOTE/]

If he wants to mow for half the rates, why would you discourage him?

The beauty of the free market is that there is the freedom to choose a company based upon price, quality, experience, etc.

Don't forget the checks and balances within the system: if a lowballer is good, his low prices will be temporary; if he's bad, he won't last.

Competition is a challenge that's positive in every industry.

jsslawncare
04-30-2011, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=nativeCO;4009458]Don't mow for half the going rates. That ruins it for everyone. Just keep the rate up at a standard price, then everyone's happy. Do good work and you should have nothing to worry about. Customers will find you one way or another.[/QUOTE/]

The beauty of the free market is that there is the freedom to choose a company based upon price, quality, experience, etc.

Don't forget the checks and balances within the system: if a lowballer is good, his low prices will be temporary; if he's bad, he won't last.

Sounds good to me! We all had to do something to get started. After 16 years of cutting grass the last four are full time, I still cut a couple of yards for free. DO GOOD GOOD WORK!

nativeCO
04-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Competition is meant to keep prices from getting outrageous. Not from keeping prices from being fair. Competition is meant to give consumers a choice. Its meant to keep people working hard. Competition doesn't mean doing things for dirt cheap because a person is greedy. Stop devaluing the market, because it devalues it for everyone, not just you.

NBL
05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=NBL;4009768]

Competition is meant to keep prices from getting outrageous. Not from keeping prices from being fair. Competition is meant to give consumers a choice. Its meant to keep people working hard. Competition doesn't mean doing things for dirt cheap because a person is greedy. Stop devaluing the market, because it devalues it for everyone, not just you.

I don't understand: why would a greedy person do things for dirt cheap? That makes no sense. Please explain.

Byerley
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
okay i was just trying to get ideas on how to drive in more customers

nativeCO
05-01-2011, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=nativeCO;4009791]

I don't understand: why would a greedy person do things for dirt cheap? That makes no sense. Please explain.

Instead of getting more customers by doing good work, they just offer to do **** for cheap. They are greedy because they devalue the market, which ***** it up for everyone, not just them.

sorry byerley :/

delphied
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
This seems to be a business that many nit whits are attracted to.

NBL
05-02-2011, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=NBL;4011631]

Instead of getting more customers by doing good work, they just offer to do **** for cheap. They are greedy because they devalue the market, which ***** it up for everyone, not just them.

sorry byerley :/

I have no problem with anyone doing work for cheap, so long as its good work. This is how I got started and I'm sure plenty of others got their start this way as well.

After being in business for 15 yrs, it would be hypocritical of me to begrudge these so called 'lowballers' their opportunity. Instead, I should strive to maintain my customers with my good work and fair prices.