PDA

View Full Version : For you guys who run 48" or 52" walk-behinds

milsaps118
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a decision to make in less then 48hrs. Here's the scoop: I added a new com'l account and they have a huge steep hill which occupies about 75%of the lawn. I cut some scary steep hills now with a Z but this one is walk-behind ONLY. It's tiered mid way and the slope is held up by a 8' high retaining wall that runs a span of about 200'. From the top of the wall to the top of the hill is about 80'.

This is the only account I'll ever need to use a walk-behind on, so here's what I'm stuck between on. I can buy a over stock New 2010 48" Metro for $2989 OTD full factory warranty, or an '06 TT w/jungle wheels used by a LCO as a back up (he says) for $2200. Any thoughts?????

coreisntlife
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
just get the used mower. check it out and make sure it looks low hours and in good condition. you can probably get it for 2k even. then go acquire a couple more properties with steep hills to make it worth the expense

MowingMowingMowing
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Assuming the Turf Tracer checks out, I would 100% rather have that machine than a Metro.

Both are good products, but the TT leaves a much better cut as it is a floating deck.

Also, belt drive mowers, especially Metros are never going to keep their value compared to a hydro floating deck TT. There are TONS of Metros on Craigslist all the time; heck, you could probably do a little searching and find one for about $1,200-$1,500.

topsites
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
No.

You don't buy a machine for just one account. :nono:
It is a very bad financial business decision to do that.

You need to figure out how to deal with this account with what you have,
and in the future don't bid on something you don't have the equipment to do it with.

milsaps118
04-29-2011, 10:10 PM
No.

and in the future don't bid on something you don't have the equipment to do it with.

Your response is beyond the point. I'll leave it at that.:hammerhead:

jiggz
04-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Out of the two i would get the TT.. well personally i would look for a 48 for around 5-800 bucks.. if you have the cash yea tt all the way.. i will also agree on never buying a peice of equip for just 1 project..but in this case i see it as fine.. if your a landscaper you should have a decent sized w/b anyway.. i dont know your properties but you might find it being easier then your zeros at times

ivyslawncare
05-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Even if it is for one account it will defiantly be used for many others I'm guessing. I did the same thing a couple months ago. But i bought a used 48 inch snapper for 1000. I have never ran a hydro wb but im sure thats what you will want for steep hills. Mine is a belt drive BUT i weigh 160 and have a sulky and it will pull me up dicthes all day without struggling. What I'm trying to say is i would go cheaper and get an older wb but make sure it is in grat condition!:cool2:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
If I had to buy one to do the job I would buy new one If you are like me you will keep using it on other jobs
Warrenty with new Old you are Sh_T out luck

Southern Pride
05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes, I notice a HUGE difference in my eXmark metro BELT drive (36" w smaller turf tires) and my Toro Proline HYDRO 48" w the bigger turf tires. I don't think it's the tires or the hydro in particular, but rather the combination of both. The turftracer sounds like a winner to me.

Also, my Toro proline is essentially a Turf Tracer with Toro stickers and a slightly different deck. Toro and eXmark are essentially the same.

Topsites, you completely missed the point bud.

georgiagrass
05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
TT any day. The TT48 is probably my guys' favorite mower.

Southern Pride
05-03-2011, 01:51 AM
TT any day. The TT48 is probably my guys' favorite mower.

I agree. Sometimes you just can't beat a turftracer or toro's version, the proline, which is what I got when I was looking for a TT, or similar style mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn splop
05-03-2011, 06:23 AM
No.

Or you could get more account that require a walk behind

Scag413
05-03-2011, 10:55 AM
So what did you end of going with? I hope it was the TTHP as the hydro is the only way to go in my opinion.

Southern Pride
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
So what did you end of going with? I hope it was the TTHP as the hydro is the only way to go in my opinion.

Exactly. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

milsaps118
05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I haven't made up my mind yet. We're going to demo both tomorrow. I was really pushing to find a used TT in good condition in the 2K range but for the last 6 weeks of looking all I found was beat up machines. The TT's I did find that were decent were more then I want to spend on a used mower.

I can get a new metro for about the same price as a used TT, that's my hang up........

Southern Pride
05-04-2011, 01:23 AM
You really will need a turf tracer style with the big turf tires and hydros, but they will run in atleast the 3,000-3,500 range...Yeah you could get a new metro for the price of a used turf tracer but think why that is?

I own a metro, and it is the most reliable dang mower I have ever owned or used. However, for holding huge hills, I pull out the toro proline hydro. It is soo much more controlled than those smaller tires and belt drive. The hydros and tires make up for what your hands/upper body muscles usually go through with a smaller belt drive style mower. Just my honest .02

Griffin

georgiagrass
05-04-2011, 02:58 AM
I haven't made up my mind yet. We're going to demo both tomorrow. I was really pushing to find a used TT in good condition in the 2K range but for the last 6 weeks of looking all I found was beat up machines. The TT's I did find that were decent were more then I want to spend on a used mower.

I can get a new metro for about the same price as a used TT, that's my hang up........

Pardon me for saying this, but that last sentence just doesn't make any sense to me. One hour after you take delivery of a Metro, all you have is a used Metro. The difference in cut quality, drive power (no slipping belts), and respect by anyone who knows anything about walk behinds is worth whatever you might lose by getting that warranty. BTW, just try selling a used Metro. Don't be all impressed with shiny and new. It wears off after a couple of cuts.

Hell on Blades
05-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Definately go with the hydro mower - it will serve you much better.

Southern Pride
05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Well put georgiagrass, and I couldn't agree more with the above post by Hell on Blades.