PDA

View Full Version : You getting $15 / sq. ft. for pavers?

JimLewis
04-30-2011, 01:02 AM
I know we've discussed per sq. ft. price on pavers till we're all blue in the face. But I was just placing orders for all my upcoming paver jobs over the next 6 weeks and checking on what I've been charging for our paver work. Just landed a 700 sq. ft. paver job today that ended up equating to $14.62 per sq. ft. But that's a rather large paver job for us. More typical would be 250-400 sq. ft. All my other upcoming paver patios are all around $16-19 per sq. ft.

Not that it influences my pricing at all. (We charge what we charge due to a combination of what I know we can get away with and the amount we need to charge to cover overhead and make a profit.) But I'm curious if there are others who are routinely able to get that much for paver jobs.

shovelracer
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Like you there is no set price per square, but that sounds comparable to what is going on. Biggest problem I've been seeing is plumbers, masons, and handyman installations that are horribly wrong going for prices all over the place. One lady paid around 40 per square ft for a $2 paver walk, and it lasted 1 winter. Another customer I met had a quote for $10 ft on a 250' square walk. In the real world we get about mid 14s to mid 18s for on grade patios over 500'. Our walks come in around 17-22 in the 300' range with a quality but economical paver. We can usually get the higher price in over the other guys by filling the client with questions that the other guys can't answer. Education is key, but you cant win them all.

DVS Hardscaper
04-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Our jobs never average less than $14.00 / SF.

And we have some that are over $30 / SF. Now when you hear $30 / SF, that's usually for small walks, small jobs, where it costs us more to mobilize and pick up materials (or have them delivered), than it does to actually do the work.

Again, I do not unit price. All pricing based on etimated materials and production hrs.

Our main market is saturated with low ball competition. And I'm not talking about fly-by-nighters. I'm talking about legit contractors that have grown so big that they are trapped into low ball pricing so they can cover their overhead. As a result, we do less and less paver jobs in our main market. Most of our work has migrated closer to the DC area where yes there is still competition, but we're able to pull $15 / SF with no problem. We're doing a job right now outside of Baltimore in quite a community - all 1 to 2.5 million dollar homes! And it's WELL worth the drive.

SDLandscapes VT
05-02-2011, 11:58 PM
DVS

I price much the same as you and I love those walkways where a per sq ft # makes no sense--100ft^2 or less. Sometimes though decisions are difficult because we are limited to stock pavers or stone.

RPM90
05-03-2011, 12:05 AM
i price by the job but average around 20

JimLewis
05-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Ok. Good. Well, like I said, I don't ever bid "by the sq. ft." but one thing I always do after I've written my proposal is figure out - for my own knowledge - what the price per sq. ft. worked out to.

In my area, seems like $10-12 is the standard price for paver work. I got local competitors who ONLY do pavers and offering lifetime warranties who are bidding jobs out at those prices, $10-12 per sq. ft.

I guess the price of pavers makes a little difference too. Most of the pavers we install cost us $2-$3 per sq. ft. But If we used Belgard those prices [locally] are upwards of $6-$7 per sq. ft. But we don't ever do much Belgard pavers - namely because of that big jump in price between our local paver suppliers and the Belgard product.

Anyway, we're still staying busier than ever with hardscapes even though we're coming in a little higher than most paver contractors in the area. Just wanted to make sure there were others out there who were also charging those kind of rates.

CheapScapesNC
05-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Ok. Good. Well, like I said, I don't ever bid "by the sq. ft." but one thing I always do after I've written my proposal is figure out - for my own knowledge - what the price per sq. ft. worked out to.

In my area, seems like $10-12 is the standard price for paver work. I got local competitors who ONLY do pavers and offering lifetime warranties who are bidding jobs out at those prices, $10-12 per sq. ft.

I guess the price of pavers makes a little difference too. Most of the pavers we install cost us $2-$3 per sq. ft. But If we used Belgard those prices [locally] are upwards of $6-$7 per sq. ft. But we don't ever do much Belgard pavers - namely because of that big jump in price between our local paver suppliers and the Belgard product.

Anyway, we're still staying busier than ever with hardscapes even though we're coming in a little higher than most paver contractors in the area. Just wanted to make sure there were others out there who were also charging those kind of rates.

Damn, in North Carolina wholesale for Belgard pavers is mostly in the $3-$5/sq ft range

jonesy5149
05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
well im with dvs. I think the lowest i have been is 8.00 for 4000 sft and that did not have gravel cost in it!! i don't do the sf price and have a big problem with contractors----
handy man contractors----------

PatriotLandscape
05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
We have two jobs on the board that are in the 10.50 a square range one is 3000+ and the other is 4000+ square feet.

Mostly we are 14-18 a square though
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
The price averages per SF usually start droppin once you hit 1200 sf

Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

You have one to many zero's there. Oh wait that is just around here.:confused:

DVS Hardscaper
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
When it gets harder and harder to charge the money needed to perform a job - that's when it's time to find other services to offer.

I have written the following on this forum at least twice in the past:

About 6 yrs ago 3 guys built a new home down the road from me. A nice, large, single family home. They built it stick by stick, no prebuilt walls or anything like that. They worked on it from sunrise to sunset. The quality is second to none. My neighbor across from me went to the guy in charge and said "I want you to build our new house". The guy in charge was the owner of the company, and he said "this is my last house, I can't make a living with this".

That has always stayed in my mind as an example of knowing when to hang it up.

Posted via Mobile Device

neversatisfiedj
05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
I just threw in the towel last month and got out of this business after 8 years. I worked for a guy last weekend however that got decent money for a paver patio. I found it hard to get the kind of money I thought I should make for this brute work.

DVS Hardscaper
05-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Hardscape guys are paying workers beans. I stated in the past that in 1999 when we mowed grass my grass guys were being paid 12 to 14 per hr. Most of the work entailed riding big tractors. A walk in the park job.

Well a local hardscape guy had an ad on Craiglist help wanted the other month. He was hiring a foreman. LOL - for $12 / hour !!!!!!!!

I'm sure he found someone. But that person doesn't realize they can go to truck driving school and start out driving a tractor trailer for more than that.......

Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
06-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Hardscape guys are paying workers beans. I stated in the past that in 1999 when we mowed grass my grass guys were being paid 12 to 14 per hr. Most of the work entailed riding big tractors. A walk in the park job.

Well a local hardscape guy had an ad on Craiglist help wanted the other month. He was hiring a foreman. LOL - for $12 / hour !!!!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

Just my main low level helpers/installers who don't speak any English get paid more than that. The crew leader gets around $15 plus some bonuses. The foreman for our landscape construction / hardscape division gets paid very well. I'm not going to say how much publicly. And he's paid in salary plus bonus. But it ends up being a whole lot more than that per hour.

JimLewis
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed. Usually it starts to drop a fair amount for us around the 600 sq. ft. mark. At that point I'll usually end up closer to $12 psf, depending on the paver variety. After 1,000 we'll be down closer to $10 or $11 and still making good money.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Im bidding on one Longer then any walk I have done
useing 4''x8'' Holland Brick $0.64 each
3 sections Total is 410.6 sq ft at $10.50psf I know sounds low but lots other work will be done Seeding ,Wall block planters,Bullet edgers Making good profit this part
Not sure on the walk
4-5 days of work

JimLewis
07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Just depends on how curvy the pathway is. If it's a totally straight pathway or very few curves then the cuttiing will be minimal and it's over 500 sq. ft., then I could see those rates. But if it's a curvy pathway, like this one (http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/album93/P1040247.jpg) or this one (http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/album110/P1040435_Watermarked.jpg) , then you're going to lose money. Too much time making all those cuts. Pathways often take us much longer than a patio of the same sq. footage.

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Walks are time consuming.

And so are little patios at townhouses....
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Just depends on how curvy the pathway is. If it's a totally straight pathway or very few curves then the cuttiing will be minimal and it's over 500 sq. ft., then I could see those rates. But if it's a curvy pathway, like this one (http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/album93/P1040247.jpg) or this one (http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/album110/P1040435_Watermarked.jpg) , then you're going to lose money. Too much time making all those cuts. Pathways often take us much longer than a patio of the same sq. footage.

Straight run to each end and each end is hour glass

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-28-2011, 08:33 PM

Be kinda like the 2nd link but my border going be way different
I hope when its done It'll be one of kind never seen anybody use the border Im doing once I get it bid and done I'll post pics to see if anybody done one like it

zedosix
07-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I just landed a job, actually started a job this week 1560sqft. mega arbel and got $22 sqft. this is a bit on the high side but the client is picky and he knows what he wants.

JimLewis
07-29-2011, 04:21 AM
Yah, well that's about what I'd be charging for any job involving the Mega Arbel as well. Especially since they cost me over $5.50 per sq. ft. these parts.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I just landed a job, actually started a job this week 1560sqft. mega arbel and got $22 sqft. this is a bit on the high side but the client is picky and he knows what he wants.

Andy you still have to use the Mega or did they come back with the small Arbel?

DVS Hardscaper
07-30-2011, 05:32 PM
The mega arb is heavy and costly. And if there are inside cuts, it takes forever. $22 / sf is is fair deal for you and the client.

Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
07-31-2011, 07:12 AM

How many man hours is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
07-31-2011, 10:23 AM
How many man hours is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

On this job very minimal, I hired out the excavation and kept only two men there for 4 days from excavation to driveway install complete. Now I have to sand and do just some end cutting at the road. The sides are staying uncut which makes laying the sod a time consuming chore, but I hope to have it completed in two more days. The odd time I had one extra guy there but not for the day. In total should be no more than 200 hours.