PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought a used Budget truck??

PLS-Tx
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
We are thinking about getting a box truck to add a second crew.

This truck would not see a lot of miles, so I'm thinking this would be a low cost way to start a second crew.

I talked to Budget and we can get a 2007 with about 100k miles w/16" box for $7000. We would need to add a ramp and dovetail and get it lettered.

Has anyone done this, if so are you happy with you box truck?

knox gsl
04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I would really get it checked out as Budget is having some finacial problems and doesn't do PM on their vehical like they used to. I have stopped using them and started using Penske for that reason. I'm assuming that you are looking at a gmc which should be a good buy at that price. Get it checked out and have a oil sample sent off to be sure that there is no major issue with the engine.

PLS-Tx
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I would really get it checked out as Budget is having some finacial problems and doesn't do PM on their vehical like they used to. I have stopped using them and started using Penske for that reason. I'm assuming that you are looking at a gmc which should be a good buy at that price. Get it checked out and have a oil sample sent off to be sure that there is no major issue with the engine.

Yes, it's a GMC with 6.0. Thanks for the advice, where would I send a oil sample to?

You have bought or rented from Penske?

knox gsl
04-30-2011, 02:40 PM
I put about 10,000 miles a year on Penske Trucks, they take better care of their smaller trucks. I would look at buying on of their 1ton vans that was white. I also would look at the Fords over the GM's. More leg room in them. As far as the oil sample most commercial truck shops should be able to handle that.

PLS-Tx
04-30-2011, 04:39 PM
I put about 10,000 miles a year on Penske Trucks, they take better care of their smaller trucks. I would look at buying on of their 1ton vans that was white. I also would look at the Fords over the GM's. More leg room in them. As far as the oil sample most commercial truck shops should be able to handle that.

Thanks, how much are you paying for the Penske trucks and what size box?

unkownfl
04-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Not to throw you off but Uhaul sells their trucks and they have them on their website with prices. They are lower too so the rear gate won't need to be as long.

PLS-Tx
04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Not to throw you off but Uhaul sells their trucks and they have them on their website with prices. They are lower too so the rear gate won't need to be as long.

I have looked at Uhaul but they are WELL used. Thanks

knox gsl
04-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I have looked at Uhaul but they are WELL used. Thanks

Uhaul only sells when extremely old or has major mechanical issues, also the box on a Uhaul is built by them and is easily noticed as a used Uhaul truck. Another issue is that the floor will have wheel well humps in it.

waters lawn care
04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
I have always taken any oil samples to our cat dealership.
Posted via Mobile Device

tnmtn
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ you can contact blackstone and they will send a sample kit for you to use in sending samples to them

green_mark
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I purchased a number of trucks from Budget and had a few issues with some...told them...returned them and they repaired right away.

A box truck was one and still have it after 10 years still runs great and installed a ramp on the back. Works great.

PLS-Tx
08-26-2011, 01:44 AM
I thought I would bring this back up again.

We are planning to get a box truck this winter so it will be ready to go next spring.

Anyone else bought a box truck from Budget or any of the other truck rental company's?

Chop Stuff Up
08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I looked at an '06 Penske with 120k on it in the spring and the price was $7,500. It was a 1 ton box truck with single rear axle. Thought that would give you an idea on price, although we are in different areas.

knox gsl
08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I looked at an '06 Penske with 120k on it in the spring and the price was $7,500. It was a 1 ton box truck with single rear axle. Thought that would give you an idea on price, although we are in different areas.

That sounds like a great deal to me. Most of these trucks will easily hit 200K miles with no major mechanical problems. Ask to see the service records for it.

Chop Stuff Up
08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
That sounds like a great deal to me. Most of these trucks will easily hit 200K miles with no major mechanical problems. Ask to see the service records for it.

I actually ended up with a retired Ford Stanley Steemer van instead. A few years older but I got it for $3,500 with only 100k on it. The van I purchased before that was a Scherwin Williams van and it ran to 298k. It still ran too, but fuel pump died in NYC and I decided to let it go.

PLS-Tx
08-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I called Penske today. One truck that he mentioned is a '06 Ford gas, 16' box, 80k miles, white about $12k.

2stroked
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Don't buy a uHaul. They're trucks are junk, and with all rental vehicles make sure everything's sound on it before you buy it

PLS-Tx
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Don't buy a uHaul. They're trucks are junk, and with all rental vehicles make sure everything's sound on it before you buy it

No way, they are wore out when they sell them.

PLS-Tx
08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I found one that has a 4' dovetail and split ramp, I may get it. 125k miles, 6.0 gas.