PDA

View Full Version : Truck, mini-ex and trencher stolen

GreenI.A.
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
So this morning started out compleatly normal, i wasn't working but one of my guys was coming in to do some commercial ferts this afternoon. I'm out running my normal weekend tasks, ie picking up a new keg and my guy calls me asking if I was working. I say no and ask why? he tells me because the f350 and trailer weren't in the lot. i freak out and rush straight there. I had my trencher and a rented miniex on the trailer hooked to the truck. I call the police, small town outside the city so of course 4 cars arive, even figure printed the gate and lock (I know this is more than likely useless) i think they just hadn't used there dust kit in a while and wanted to bust it out. I call my insurance right away and then the dreded call to the rental company to tell them their mini ex I was suposed to drop off was gone. This had only 38 hours on it when I picked it up, I might have put another 20hrs on it at most. So rental company says its no problem thats what insurance is for, but they have gps tracking on everything worth over 10k so they'll get it activated and notify the police.

Well 45 minutes later I get a call from the State Police they have my truck and trailer pulled over about 25 miles away. I rush right there and luckily nothing was unloaded yet. the emergency $20 bill I leave on the visor for my guys was still there too. When I pulled up there were 3 guys in cuffs and I knew one of them. He works at the shop around the corner that does all the work on my trucks. He had a Key to my ignition, acording to the police he had a large ring with 50+ keys each with a tag with Owners information. Police are thinking that he was going out and copying customer keys without their knowlegde and just waiting for a chance to grab one.

THEGOLDPRO
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Dang, Sue the shop as well. Glad you got it back so quick.

GreenI.A.
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, first call monday morning will be my attorney to see what my options are. i was shocked when the Statie called me, I assumed when he said who he was, he was just calling to get information, but when he said "we have your truck pulled over..." that was music to my ears. Can't wait to go by the shop on monday either. If I remember right this guy is related to the owner, a brother in law or a nephew I think. The Statie said they're going to do a big investigation on stolen cars/trucks in the area and see if they can link any of them to the shop and then these guys to any of them. With the amount of keys they had the officer assumes they've been doing this a while.

IES
04-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Glad you got everything back. I've had to use insurance before and it nice to know it's there but it's a big headache to replace everything. When we got hit a few years ago it was the guys who were dumpster divIng for scrap scoping out businesses. Police left black powder ALL over our offices.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
04-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah the powder they used was florescent orange/pink
Posted via Mobile Device

grasshopper91
05-01-2011, 11:45 PM
That gps tracking works great and the theives never have a clue. Glad you got everything back!

AI Inc
05-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Unforunatly its just a property crime and the scumbad will get probation. Prolly be back to stealing by this time next yr. Glad to hear ya got ya stuff back.

GreenI.A.
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I went and talked to the mechanic yesterday, it was his nephew and the guy is pissed. I guess his nepher had been going through some hard times and just got out of jail about six months ago. The whole family had pretty much disowned him but his uncle was nice enough to give him a chance with a job and a roof over his head. Fealt pretty bad for him, he put himself on the line to help a family member and turns out the guy was screwing him. He started getting pretty emotional, you could deffinetly tell he was upset about the whole thing. He's paying for all my trucks to get re-keyed by ford and gm in case their is a 2nd copy floating around any where.

I talked to the detective this morning. not only did they have car keys copied they had house keys copied aswell. The machanic turned over his customer list to them yesterday and they were able to link all the keys to customers. So far there are 8 other customers with stolen vehicles and 4 with breaking and enterings at their homes where there was no forced entry and a key used. And they are able to link two of the B&Es by fingure prints to these guys and at one of them the homeonwer came home and was assulted by the guys but they got away before the police got their. Thats just off of half of the keys so far. The detective said they are waiting to talk to 30 or so customers who keys they found, and then they are going to also talk to every single customer who has been there since the guy started working their.

I'm just glad I never leave my full key ring and only leave the vehicle keys at mechanics and valays

THEGOLDPRO
05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Dang, wicked scum bags.

mayorofperryville
05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
wow bud, I donno what to say. Not for nothing, but maybe you'r rig getting stolen was a good thing these clowns assaulted people! Lord knows what was next a murder or rob the uncle blind who was tryin to help? glad it all worked out.

Nick's Lawn Care
05-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Thank God for the rental company!!

GreenI.A.
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
wow bud, I donno what to say. Not for nothing, but maybe you'r rig getting stolen was a good thing these clowns assaulted people! Lord knows what was next a murder or rob the uncle blind who was tryin to help? glad it all worked out.

Thank God for the rental company!!

So I have a little more information now, according to one of the pieces of $h!t the grabbed the truck and trailer around 6 a.m. The way my yard is set up is that my house is about 300 feet or so off of the road. There is a second driveway that goes down and circles around to the back yard and my bar which is fenced in. They used a bettery oppperated sawzall to get through the masterlock on the gate. Not only is my house set back off the road but there is a second driveway that circles around to the back yard and shop area, this driveway goes right under my bedroom window. Weekend mornings I wake up at 6:30 am. If it was during the week I would have already been up and would have caught them. I live a mile from a large industrial pard so they grabbed they truck/trailer and stached it there for a few hours. The detective said they did this so that if I had a tracker I would probably notice it gone in the a.m. and have it activated and the police would find it their. But when they came back and the truck was still their they assumed there was no tracker and thought it was safe. Just happened to be that I didn't notify the rental company yet.

But what made the guys so stupid is - #1 all three of them went back to pick it up and the fourth guy drove the other vehicle. Why the hell would three of them get in the truck when only one needed to take the risk? #2 my trucks arent exactly easy to blend in. This was a Crew Cab F350 Duelly that is FULLY WRAPPED, once the report went out it wouldn't be hard to miss.

The thing I am glad about is normally I keep all the equipment on the trailer but I got in after my guys the night before and was too lazy to unhook never mind unload the equipment. If the mini-ex wasn't on there my trencher would probalby be sold and my truck stripped.

GreenI.A.
05-05-2011, 02:26 PM
One thing I did this week was I went to Tractor Supply (this store is great, we heve one for this half of the state and fortunetly it's about 3 miles away) and picked up a couple of Gates. I weleded them up at the hinge end and we now double lock then closed. I put these gates in the middle of the back driveway right under my bedroom window so that someone will need to work for a few minutes extra minutes to get in. I might not be able to legally shoot a future thief pos for trying to get in my gate but i'm far from a neighbor and have plenty of room for a berial ground outback. Only problem with this is my girlfriend is already complaining when she hears my diesels idling in the driveway below the window while were opening the gate to leave in the am

THEGOLDPRO
05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I have one of those alarms that go off when anything passes by the sensor, I have it at the end of my driveway so i know when a car comes in the drive.

like this.
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1645-dcma-2500-dakota-alert-duty-cycle-motion-alert-system.aspx