PDA

View Full Version : I really have to learn to bite my tongue!!!

Hardcore5657
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I did a clean up for a guy today and his yard was trashed, I mowed, trimmed, and edged the grass, raked up the leaves and brush, and blew out the yard when i was done. I felt bad for the old guy and only charged him $125. So he calls me up and says that the garden bed wasn't weeded, I said well weeding isn't part of the clean up only blowing them out. He said that his old lawn guy did it as part of his clean up. So I said yea what did he charge you , he wouldn't answer me. So I told him I would be more than happy to come back and pull the weeds but i am going to have to charge him. He said no that should be inclueded in the clean up. So i told him maybe he should try a different company and maybe they would do things more to his likings. I walked away and crossed him of my bi weekly mowing list. I swear people want everything for free these days!!

93Chevy
04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
If you had told him up front what was included in your cleanup, then this wouldn't be an issue.

He's just an old guy that has a hard time dealing the change in landscape service providers.

RozarLawnCare
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
In a few years hardcore you will wonder why you can not make your payments and why you are out off work. It is your job to let the customer know what is included. If he has a problem with your work, fix it, let the customer be right, and it will be better for you than to have a bad rep.

topsites
04-30-2011, 10:00 PM
We ...
Yes, WE already paid for the advertising!
Someone did!
Don't waste it.

Because I had a similar situation last week and I was so flabbergasted by the customer's
comment, my mind was spinning and reeling at 120mph I was PISSED off!

But you know what?

I waited until I cooled down, then wrote on a piece of paper what it is I wanted to say,
called them and calmly and nicely suggested they please call somebody else,
then said thank you and have a nice day.

Granted, I was glad I got the answering machine.

Now I am not innocent so it's all good, almost every day someone F'ks with me out there, here too.
I am starting to get better at controlling myself.
It is not easy.

But lets work on it, as I am hoping I learned my lesson.

In a few years hardcore you will wonder why you can not make your payments and why you are out off work. It is your job to let the customer know what is included. If he has a problem with your work, fix it, let the customer be right, and it will be better for you than to have a bad rep.

This is the mentality we need to focus on.

Because I am telling you, hard lessons learned in the recession, those folks that will piss on your
best day will also still badmouth not just your company but the whole bunch of us can end up
suffering because of an attitude.

So the point is do it nicely, that way maybe at least one other Lco gets a chance.

Southern Pride
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't think it's that crucial, but it is one of those situations where on one hand you don't have to deal with nitpickers (hate them) on the other hand it could have been x amount/ month for you. I also agree about communicating thoroughly with the customer about services provided but to be honest in this situation this is something the customer has to say "hey and would you mind..." trimming is not usually involved in leaf/debris cleanups but again I don't know what the conditions were.

topsites
04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't think it's that crucial.

It isn't the one situation, but time after time it adds up and in that sense every situation is crucial.

But no, I'm not hanging anyone over it, customers can be awful demanding and sure can act like they own us some days,
I know all about that so if someone loses their temper it's not like I would have put up with it and that's just the breaks too,
the customer needs to understand that an Lco is neither their slave nor their "boy,"
however I also believe there will always be some who are uneducated and a few who may never learn.
But be careful, please.
Try and say it nicely: please may I suggest you call somebody else.

Let me put it another way...
If we suggest they call someone else, our phones will probably ring.
The next fellow may not want them either but I also know one Lco's pita can be another's gold mine.
But if we turn them off, our phones will eventually go silent.

So, how about saying please may I suggest you call somebody else, that's all I'm asking.

THEGOLDPRO
05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Years ago i picked up a new house to mow and the lady complained i didnt string trim the 3 foot tall weeds down out of the beds that were all around her house, i said thats not part of weekly mowing thats bed maintenance, she said well the last landscaper used to do it weekly for the same price (in a D- bag tone), i said oh really my friend actually used to maintain this property let me call him and ask him, so i pulled my phone out and called him on the spot, he confirmed that he did not do that and that she was lying, I said he says he didn't used to do that for you. she looked at me like i had 5 heads and and told me to just keep doing what i have been doing and that would be fine.

I still have her a customer for the last 5 years lol,We never talk and i never see her, i send her the bill and they pay it.

Southern Pride
05-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice. I don't think I would ever go to the length to call my buddy like that lol I just don't even care that much I guess, or don't feel like messin' with em. Thank the lord most of my customers are good, especially all the new ones this year.

topsites, I hear what you saying man.

KINGMADE
05-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Just start including weed pulling with the clean out quote. This is what it is with weed pulling. This is what it would be without.

lazyike
05-01-2011, 11:12 AM
For those who said "You should have explained what was included and not included" If you actually did this you would be giving the customer a bible.... dont BS everyone by saying full disclosure I have never seen a lawn maint company go through that extent...... Also how many of you include "weeding the garden" In your spring cleanup?

clean_cut
05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Not saying you made the wrong choice here, but think about this.

What if you would have reminded him that the bed weeding wasn't part of the cleanup but since he's going to be mowing with you and he sounds like a really nice guy, you'll do it for free (or even 1/2 price) the next time you stop by. This guys might say, wow, I like this guy mowing my lawn and tell all his friends, giving you 5 new customers... I guess it really depends on the person, this may or may not have worked in your situation. You could have even offered to weed all the beds for free if he will let you install mulch for him.

Just something to think about :)

Hardcore5657
05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Thats what i should have done, I just get so hot headed that i am just like f*** it, now that its a new day I am like s**t i lost a client!!

Dr.NewEarth
05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
When I do a residential estimate, I have a checklist of duties that we will perform on the back of the contract. The client signs it and gets a copy

For the HOA I have a three to five page detailed package listing all services, contingency information, payment terms and addendums. They sign a copy of the lawyer written contract itself, which also makes reference to the addendums, dates
and correspondence.

I send them a hard paper copy of the estimate and contract information and also a pdf that they can circulate.

I have found that if the client has a copy of all of that information it cuts down on the misunderstandings.

I say, "it cuts down on the misunderstandings." There is always some-one or an HOA
that argues about outlandish things. Or they tell you you have to do this and that, which you and your employees know isn't part of the contract.

How about when you find out they won't pay you for contracted work, or the property manager has lost your contract, or decides to just change some-thing so they look good?
Bite your tongue?

This job has given me a big problem with high blood pressure. After diplomatically trying to resolve a problem, I will call a spade a spade if some-one continually pushes my buttons or tries to take advantage of me.

nightshutter
05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I itemize everything in the estimate. this way there is no question. Some people these days will try and get away with what they can. Im young not dumb!

fall cleanup - clean leaves front and back
weed - Weed front flower beds

etc

topsites
05-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Thats what i should have done, I just get so hot headed that i am just like f*** it, now that its a new day I am like s**t i lost a client!!

It's all good, happens to the best.

Dogbonz
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
It's all good, happens to the best.

Yeah,,:dancing: and even to Topsites! :laugh:

pkez111
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
For those who said "You should have explained what was included and not included" If you actually did this you would be giving the customer a bible.... dont BS everyone by saying full disclosure I have never seen a lawn maint company go through that extent...... Also how many of you include "weeding the garden" In your spring cleanup?

Spring clean up= Beds cleaned out, edged and weeded(Prepped for mulch) de thatch, and blow down of yard. Mulch obviously extra......

PORTER 05
05-03-2011, 10:45 PM
F them all!

topsites
05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah,,:dancing: and even to Topsites! :laugh:

Sure did, someone called me the other day talking about if I didn't finish a project by a certain deadline that they'd
likely have to call someone else, unfortunately I don't take kindly to threats and called right back and told them they'd
better pick up the phone and start calling.

I mean it's just that thing, rub me the wrong way and it's on because I'm not perfect either.

THEGOLDPRO
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I have no problem calling peoples bluffs or putting them in there places when they try and get loud with me for something stupid. In the end i really dont care about losing one crappy little house because they were too stupid to understand what was included in the service.

Flatop
05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
As part of my quote, I have listed hedge trimming, weed flower beds, initial cut, basic mowing to include trimming/mow/edge/and blow all separate with the price. This prevents any "well I though weeding the flower bed was part of the mowing"

Greyst1
05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Spring clean up= Beds cleaned out, edged and weeded(Prepped for mulch) de thatch, and blow down of yard. Mulch obviously extra......

Tell me you are joking? If you aren't then i must be missing something

Spring clean up 4 me = Entire property (beds, lawn, driveway, etc.... cleanup from landscape DEBRIS..... I.e leaves, fallen timber, trash....

Edge/weeded (Prepped for mulch) & de-thatch, if you are doing this then are you charging more or what? I do that for mulch jobs.

No one around here includes de-thatch and all the extras you say.

Merkava_4
05-05-2011, 03:08 AM
What? You mean you didn't shine his shoes too?

greendoctor
05-05-2011, 03:15 AM
Sure did, someone called me the other day talking about if I didn't finish a project by a certain deadline that they'd
likely have to call someone else, unfortunately I don't take kindly to threats and called right back and told them they'd

I mean it's just that thing, rub me the wrong way and it's on because I'm not perfect either.

Hopefully you were paid a deposit upon beginning the job. Demanding and ungrateful people are soon told that they need to find someone else because they are fired!

ALC-GregH
05-05-2011, 07:11 AM

You shouldn't leave jobs hanging. People want the work done. They don't want to wait. I have a ton of work lined up. I told all of them the time frame I'll be able to get it done in. A few are out there a month or more but they know and are good with it. Keep procrastinating and posting on LS all day and nothing will get done.

Wait, you said "finish" as in you already started it? Why are you leaving a job un-finished in the first place? If anything, you need to make that priority.

ALC-GregH
05-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Hopefully you were paid a deposit upon beginning the job. Demanding and ungrateful people are soon told that they need to find someone else because they are fired!

Starting a job and then leaving it hang. I can see why they are becoming demanding and don't blame them a bit.