PDA

View Full Version : Solo Operaters

Hardcore5657
04-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Do you do clean ups and mulch jobs etc. etc. or just mow?

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
i did some mulch only 1 and a half yards, it is way more efficient to have 2 people though. mowing and some small clean ups alone.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
working solo is so hard,but it is worth it most days...

i do some mulch but it is hard with cutting bout everyday..

LawnGuy35
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I do cleanups in addition to mowing. Did 6 this spring (I bid 10 total, but the other 4 said my price was too high). It's often a pain in the a--, as I usually find myself wishing I had 1-2 other people helping out. BUT, with what I charge, it's much more rewarding when I'm finished, knowing it all goes into my pocket, and my pocket only.

knox gsl
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I do the extras also but leave Fridays open for it. I plan to never mow on Friday and use it for a rain day or extras.

topsites
04-30-2011, 09:22 PM
etc etc ...

touhey33
04-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Im solo have about 60 lawns which I mow Tuesday-Friday. In march I did a ton of cleanups and mulch, now I leave mondays for bigger mulch jobs and will do small jobs on saturday if necessary but usually use saturday as my rain day. I usually lay about 130 yds a year by myself. Next year I plan on offering fert and squirt to a small portion of my customers. Im in the middle of getting my lisc. and adding it into the plan for next season. I also do fall core aeration and the occasional slit seeding as well as fall cleanups.

Landscape Poet
04-30-2011, 10:59 PM
78 lawns now solo - I sub out my sod work, as there is really not that big of a demand for clean ups here, and those that do want it do not offer enough to pull me off of having my consistent income to mess with keeping a day for just them.

Mulch - I pay more buying the bag - but then it saves me a ton of time....so it is worth the few dollars more it cost per yard.
Again - anything over 10 yards - I sub to a mulch company. They charge $35 a yard to come and blow it in per yard 10 and over...so I again make money while mowing, for making a phone call.
Irrigation heads etc...they only take a few minutes but are a big return on the investment. I carry a section of heads and nozzels with me so there is no going to to the store and getting supplies in the middle of my route.
Subbing can work out great if you build relationships - Today I made close to $750 profit on 4 pallets of sod being installed....from the comfort of my own home.