PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Skidsteer

yardworks, inc.
04-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Any opinions on Volvo skidsteers? If so what are the pros or cons on these machines.

stuvecorp
04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Weren't they a re-badged Scat Trac? I think J Peterson ran one?

J. Peterson Grading
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
I've had a few on lease. Not a horrible machine, but they do have some flaws

1, Pilot controls are the way to go, but the cabs are to narrow and you will constantly hit your had on the cab sides when you dump or turn to the left.

2, You sit back in them way to far. Seat is adjustable, but the controls aren't. So adjusting the seat makes your arms more uncomfortable with the shorter or longer reach.

3, The units are kinda quiet on the outside, but they seem to make all the noise stay in the cab. They have no sound padding in them what so ever. If they did, it would help.

4, Super ASS heavy. One of the 90Bs I had would ride wheelies with out anything in the bucket. They also like to ride up while grading, making it hard to do any sort of cutting with them.

5, Hydraulics will over heat and an alarm will sound if you use the continous flow for more than a few minutes. So sweeping or brush mowing isn't one of their stong suits.

6, With the door on, its hard to see out. They mount to much crap on the window, so you are always having to move your head and body in weird ways to see out.

7. Only have a single speed transmission and the single speed they have is SLOOOOOOOOOW. Which sucks for snow removal.

These are just a few things that we didn't like about them.

I did like the Air conditioners. Super cold, heat works good as well. They are simple machines and are still built like the scat tracs theat they were copied from.

If I were looking for a "Cheap" rubber tire unit, I might get one. But key work here is "Cheap".

J.

tnmtn
05-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I demoed one and was impressed with it. the pilot controls were smooth. it didn't have a cab but didn't seem any noisier than most skid steers. I read somewhere that they are now going to be selling rebadged jcb's as volvo's.

Mowingman
05-01-2011, 08:39 AM
None of the above comments apply anymore. Those models are now gone, unless you find an old one left in stock at a dealer. Volvo now has a deal with JCB, and JCB is building all the volvo Skidsteers. The Volvo/Scat-Trac days are over.

DaveAust
05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
None of the above comments apply anymore. Those models are now gone, unless you find an old one left in stock at a dealer. Volvo now has a deal with JCB, and JCB is building all the volvo Skidsteers. The Volvo/Scat-Trac days are over.

This video will answer a few questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dn4crVTyE&feature=related

DaveAust

YellowDogSVC
05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
the new volvo machines look just like the new JCB's single lift arm, side entry, etc.

Dirtman2007
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
its because the new Volvo CTL is the JCB robot painted in volvo colors
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/vegas/009-1.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/vegas/011-2.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/vegas/012-2.jpg

Tigerotor77W
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Sadly, this does mean the Scat Trak brand is now officially gone.

But yardworks, as people have suggested you will need to let us know which machine (current or old generation) you're wondering about. I think the new ones -- if all goes well -- are superbly designed. Whether that design translated into the final machine... not sure.

dozerman21
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't like the single arm design. Although there are safety advantages to it, the blind spot on one side and not being centered in the machine would drive me nuts.

tnmtn
05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I find it funny a company looking to bolster skid steer market share would pick of all companies to work with JCB. Alomst seems like giving in and deciding that if they are going to have a small market share to minimize costs for this share. something just seems wrong about this.

J. Peterson Grading
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I will say the the JCB 190T I had on rent/demo last summer wasn't the best thing I ever ran, but it seems that JCB might have their crap together with the new units. From the videos I have seen, they have fixed alot of the complaints that I had about the older units..

But it still doesn't make sense that Volvo would use a machine with as bad a track record as the Robots.

J.

Digdeep
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I find it funny a company looking to bolster skid steer market share would pick of all companies to work with JCB. Alomst seems like giving in and deciding that if they are going to have a small market share to minimize costs for this share. something just seems wrong about this.

My buddy at Bobcat told me that JCB sold about 200 units in North America last year and that Volvo about doubled that with their Scat Traks so it seems like a strange marriage.

yardworks, inc.
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Was just looking at the volvos(old style) because of price. I do hardscapes only and contract all of my excavation work. I would be using it only for moving materials around the jobsite. I was just wondering if they were dependable machines. Thanks for the info.

J. Peterson Grading
05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes. Volvo skids are reliable, rugged, and easy to work on.

Try to get a B series if you can, lots better than an A and seem to be in the same price range.

J.

treemover
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I ran a scat for many years, simple, easy to work on, but you dont want to spend a lot of hours a day in one. Great power and a lot more lift than they say