PDA

View Full Version : Need input on replacing trim mowers.

indy2tall
05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
We are currently using Toro Super Recyclers, which were purchased at the same time, for trim and very small gated back yards. They are all close to being completely worn out. Would like to here from anyone and everyone on what mulching trim mower they use (other than Toro) especially when the grass is wet and how they like it. We NEVER bag or discharge with the trim mowers so I am only interested in the mulching mode quality of cut.

topsites
05-01-2011, 11:09 AM
If it were up to me I'd curse the stupid foo' who would put up a gate smaller than 4 feet wide.

indy2tall
05-01-2011, 11:13 AM
If it were up to me I'd curse the stupid foo' who would put up a gate smaller than 4 feet wide.

Somehow this is exactly the type of post I would expect from you.

doyles
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
this year we bought one Ferris 21" mulcher for small residential with gated back yards so far this year the grass has been wet and high i mean we are mulching at least 2 inches of the top
the mower we bought has a 6 hp Kawasaki engine,ninja mulching blade and the mower has plenty of power and performs very well
keep in mind the Ferris commercial and the snapper commercial are the same mowers hope this helps

indy2tall
05-01-2011, 07:15 PM
come on folks how about a few more responses.

lawnboy dan
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
one toro proline will out last a dozen super recyclers. what ever you do dont get personal pace! or bbc . i cant help as i use all older lawnboys and johndeere which you cant buy any more but as far as i am concerned -the toro proline is the only mower to consider now.

BrunoT
05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Sorry, not much experience with anything other than Toro. I also had some super recylcers that lasted a long time in commercial duty.
I have the full commercial unit now w/ bbc but find it way too heavy. It will sink in where the lighter units won't in wet turf and in things like pea gravel or mulch when you have to cross those areas. The extreme weight seems to stress the transmission somewhat and I hear some reports of too-frequent breakdowns in that area on these units so that makes sense. Mine is fine so far but I can see how it happens. It also does not seem to cut quite as well due to the bulk of the bbc assembly in the deck.

There is good compromise out there I think you should look at. The model 22156 (I think) is a light commerical unit that has some of the best of both attributes.

1. light weight of the homeowner units. 87 lbs vs about 120 lbs
2. better wheels of commercial units.
3. Honda engine
4. 1 speed drive system is more durable than personal pace and can pull you up hills better at a reasonable (3.1mph) pace
5. The ability to side discharge tall wet stuff if needed in an emergency by flipping open the side door. I find this to be a big problem on the full commercial unit, as it can only bag or mulch and sometimes I just need to chop/drop overgrown stuff. It also gives you more lift to stand grass up.
6. Moderate price (about $850?) vs heavy duty commercials.
7. No BBC which I feel mulches better due to better air flow and depth.
8. Very wide (1-4") height of cut range is invaluable for our grass types here.

I'm probably switching to this model when I find the time to go pick one up. It is essentially a beefed up home owner version but that is fine with me.