PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your tires changed at?

Dogbonz
05-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Yep,, had to happen,, tore a hole through the side wall of my sissy 2ply rear 20x10-8 tire yesterday,, and have no where to get it fixed until Monday,, I wonder if any tire shop can remove the tire from the rim. I tried myself, and Shoot, I can't even get the bead off the rim. I thought, I'd take tire off,, patch inside, and put a tube in,, but If I got to take it to a tire shop, to have it r&r'd,, then I'll go get a new tire ($65.) and have it put on.

How would you guys Handle this?

topsites
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
To do them in house you need tools, and they're not cheap.
One tire iron: $60

And you really need more than just that one, all in all I think you're looking at roughly $300 in tools,
maybe a little more but I don't think it's much over $400.

It's up to you, but I didn't buy them kind of tools until my later years...
Once I was pretty sure I was putting in 20 or more, that's when I bought them because you need years to pay for that,
in terms of tire changes you'll have to change a good dozen or more and it takes years and years for that to add out.

I think the shop will charge you $25 for the labor of installing a new tire, which includes removing the old one.
And you have to buy a new one anyhow, unless you have one in stock...

Like I said, it's up to you and I'm not trying to talk you out of one way and into another,
but in terms of who does it, that $25 is pretty close to what it's worth, it really is...
If they even charge you that much, they might do it for less but I won't bank on that.
Up to you.

Patriot Services
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Any tire shop can replace the tire. If you have a hole in the sidewall the tire is done.
Posted via Mobile Device

RozarLawnCare
05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Where I live, the cost of changing the tire is built in the cost of the tire. You might try to find a used rim and then you could have a spare, less downtime.

JB1
05-01-2011, 08:11 PM
we have spare tires on hand and change them when needed.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I do all mine in my floor You need a Slide hammer They are easy to make

Robert Pruitt
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Buy and have them mounted at local tire shop. I only buy four ply.

mowerman90
05-01-2011, 09:59 PM
You don't need any special tools. Simply lay your tire flat on the driveway, remove the valve core and let all air escape, then drive your truck slowly up onto the tire (being careful not to drive truck onto the rim of the flat tire) and after a few trys you'll break the bead. Then take several large screw drivers and pry the tire off of the rim. Patch the hole. Reverse the procedure to put tire back on the rim and fill with air. That's how we did it in the old days, or if you're cheap like me it's how we still do it. I've changed trailer tires, truck and car tires, and all sorts of mower tires this way. Although the next time I have to change an 8ply trailer tire I might have someone do it for me :laugh:

JB1
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
hasn't anybody ever heard of a bead hammer, there not hard to use.

Dogbonz
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
A slide hammer,,, yeah I got one,, but just tryin to think, how you'd be using that?

TSC has a tire for me,, $65 and I'm gonna have my local tire shop, swap new tire on.
Just got job on a spring clean up, and first mow, that I need to get started on asap,

Drive bus,, fix tire,, go get trailer loaded and ready to go work,, drive bus more,, go work some, then do it again, on Tuesday.

kietsterz
05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
go to any tool shop, and buy the small tire changer. Cost about $50. i change all my mower by it. Each tire take about 10 min or less. wont damage the rim like the screwdriver or other tool does.

georgiagrass
05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Our local tire shop does it for the price of the tire.

wahlturfcare
05-02-2011, 08:32 AM
i do al my own tires. I have one of the mini ones for the mowers and a big coats one for the truck tires. it only takes minutes to change/repair a tire instead of having to take it in a drop it off till its done.