PDA

View Full Version : Made a solution to get my mowers unstuck

fatboynormmie
05-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Well I had to pull my mowers out of a hole or muck 3 different times this week and made a decision that I had enough.The ground is soggy here in Md but the grass is boomin.I already had 2" receivers welded to both my mowers (fronts) and made a multi tow receiver that is removable for the rear of both my 152z and 34z.I made up a 1/4" thick plate and welded it to a piece of 2" square tubing and drilled holes for mounting the hitch pin and a 2000lb winch. Hooked up the electrical and tested it.The winch pulled my 152z with parking brake set through the garage with nooooo problem.I can run the winch from either machine front or back and I'm am planing to make a pigtail to run it off my truck's 7 pin trailer plug. The winch has 50' of cable and I have multiple tow straps and chains so now I'm more prepared.Posting a pic of my 34z stuck in a 1 1/2 ' hole where a dog had been buried.Don't know how the front tire missed it but the rear found it and I thought the mower was going over and the picture dosen't look as bad as it did in person.

Lawn-Scapes
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice work Norm... hope you don't have to use it too often.

cutbetterthanyou
05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Think thats bad try being down here in the eastern shore. I buddy of mine on hoopers island just got his first cut in on like 3 of his weekly lawns because it has been so wet he couldn't get in them. I'm in cambridge and my hustler looks like a 4 wheeler it has so much mud on it. I feel your pain.

SoloSulkySurfer
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I had to pull my truck in a customers backyard last week and use a tow strap to get my scag tiger cub out. Luckily the house is vacant and theirs some high ground on the property. Never seen it so wet on this property, partially due to a rerouted sump pump.

weeze
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
haha i've gotten stuck several times too...i've managed to get off the mower and push it while pushing on the levers and was able to get it out though...i'm actually looking forward to july and august when it will be dry lol...having to go around areas because they are too wet and then having to trim them with the trimmer is getting old lol

odis
05-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Never had a problem with my jd x748. Really have to watch my ztr.
Jim

ProStreetCamaro
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Almost the same combo of mowers we use. Instead of 152Z we have a 160Z. We are also in md. That looks like the same harbor freight winch my friend mounted up on his atv.

PLDLawncare
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Got stuck yesterday with a Wright Stander. If nothing else is available, the bottle jack from your truck to lift the front of the mower and a couple of boards under the front caster wheels will go a long way.

mark12
05-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I know what your talking about...we had about 14 inches of rain from friday through monday.....headed out mowing on wed. Got stuck real good. Didn't feel it sink down until it was too late. My deck was raised all the way up and it was sitting on the ground. It was a vacant house and had to pull it out with my truck. We found a tie out for a dog and used it to pull it out.

fatboynormmie
05-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Almost the same combo of mowers we use. Instead of 152Z we have a 160Z. We are also in md. That looks like the same harbor freight winch my friend mounted up on his atv.

Hey Prostreet the Gravely's have been good mowers to me and you are right that's a HF winch I scored for 50 bucks .Also got the 2 yr warranty for 10 more.Now that I took the time to make this rig I will probably never need it but it WILL be in the tongue box on the trailer just in case.

fatboynormmie
05-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Mark12 that's exactly what my 152z looked like in my own yard down to the deck.Also I was cutting back by my neighbors chain link fence and my left tire literally sunk instantly spinning me into fence and pushing the fence back into my neighbors yard thank goodness it was in between the 2 metal posts because I would be replacing that fence otherwise

BrunoT
05-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Interesting and inventive way to mount the winch. You guys might, however, want to consider keeping walk behinds around for some of these properties! They're swamps. I can't imagine what the resulting "look" is after mowing with a ZTR.

fatboynormmie
05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Interesting and inventive way to mount the winch. You guys might, however, want to consider keeping walk behinds around for some of these properties! They're swamps. I can't imagine what the resulting "look" is after mowing with a ZTR.

I have a walkbehind and some yards you know not to put a ztr on but some places are deceiving as there might be one soft spot(sump pump) .The sucky part is finding that spot too late.The grass is growing like wild fire and weeklies are a mess right now and bi-weekly are jungles.It's been a weird spring.

georgiagrass
05-02-2011, 02:22 AM
That's a clever solution. We keep a come along on each truck with several tow straps. Usually does the job.

fatboynormmie
05-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Pics of the winch on the 34z .The reason I left the stick out so far on the receiver is to clear how far the front tires swing out on Gravely's.Like I said since I made this rig up I haven't had to use it .

cpllawncare
05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Yea now that you've mounted those you'll never get stuck again LOL

topsites
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I am glad to see someone actually put this idea into practice,
I am sure it is as brilliant as it looks.

Yup.

nepatsfan
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM

haha...thats the way it always works.

Good idea though Norm....we dont get stuck enough to fabricate something like you have but it will certainly be handy the next time it happens.

fatboynormmie
05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I guess I could hang the mowers from a tree to change the blades:laugh:

johnyredd99
05-03-2011, 11:33 PM
guess im the only one that notices how prepared for just about anything that might happen to us out in the field. think a winch is a little much but if i could find one for cheap i would have it also. still I carry chains, straps, come along... but to ever think of having to find a dog chain to pull out a mower is crazy. lucky no one got hurt. hope you put a strap in your truck for next time

Hell on Blades
05-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Granted, I only run walk behinds, but I've never gotten stuck like these.

If it's that wet, I just don't mow it!!!

ProTouch Groundscapes
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
sometimes our wb leaves worse marks than our tiger. but i feel all your pain, it seems that since the last two weeks of march we have had rain 95% of the days. havnt mulched yet, only have gotten in 1 cut for april.

MOturkey
05-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Since I run two mowers of equal size most of the time (260's), I'm generally able to pull one out with the other via a tow strap, but a winch like that would be really cool.

outlaw1960
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice work Norm!

StanWilhite
05-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I guess I could hang the mowers from a tree to change the blades:laugh:

Since I use an electric hoist to raise my mower when removing/sharpening blades, that's the first thing I thought about when I saw your setup! If you do use the wench to raise the mower make SURE you also use a (secondary) safety chain before you get underneath the mower. It only takes one mistake to really change (or end) your life!

Sorry, don't mean to sound morbid, but I had a life long buddy that was just recently killed on a tractor. It can happen before you know it. He had been running tractors for almost 50 years.

fatboynormmie
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Since I use an electric hoist to raise my mower when removing/sharpening blades, that's the first thing I thought about when I saw your setup! If you do use the wench to raise the mower make SURE you also use a (secondary) safety chain before you get underneath the mower. It only takes one mistake to really change (or end) your life!

Sorry, don't mean to sound morbid, but I had a life long buddy that was just recently killed on a tractor. It can happen before you know it. He had been running tractors for almost 50 years.

Sorry to hear about your buddy Stan.I actually have an Ohio Steel mower lift for blade changes but I'm sure I will probably find a multitude of jobs for that little winch.

StanWilhite
05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your buddy Stan.I actually have an Ohio Steel mower lift for blade changes but I'm sure I will probably find a multitude of jobs for that little winch.

Yep, I'll bet it'll come in handy from time to time.....good job!