PDA

View Full Version : I survived the storms.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Guys, I sat in my livingroom and watched the Tornados tear my community to peices. It hit everywhere. Missed me by 5 miles my brother by 1 mile. KSSS it tore the area you thought was Gander mountain to a disaster area. I was one of the very few in North Alabama with electricity. I am posting pictures now. Been tied up helping and trying to work at the same time. We still have no power at the dealership.

JB1
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
don't know how lucky you are till you see pictures like that.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
It is crazy here. Still no power in most areas.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
One of our mechanics and our sales managers houses both took a big hit. No one hurt.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
don't know how lucky you are till you see pictures like that.

You ain's seen nothing yet. I have a picture of a brand new red combine turned over somewhere when I get to it.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I have a whole road of relatives that got hit. I took a 333D and a brush grapple and cleared there drives and cleaned up a couple of yards.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:47 PM
The same road was hit when the super storms of 1974 came through.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I use to live on that road from 1980 to 1983.

tailboardtech
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
One of our mechanics and our sales managers houses both took a big hit. No one hurt.

is that a 620? deere in the one pic, all i can say about all the twisters is wow, and pray for all those that lost loved ones

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
An awful way to kick the economy into high gear. The last picture here is cousin bubba's house...It is a law here that everyone has to have a cousin bubba.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
At least we have had good weather to recover items in. Next to last picture is Booger...Everybody has to have a buddy named Booger in Alabama.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-01-2011, 11:22 PM
I had several cutomers that live in this area. I am have to file a insurance claim in the morning.

dKoester
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm just glad you are alive. I hope we haven't lost anyone on this site to those storms.

stuvecorp
05-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Glad you and your family are okay. Scary how stuff got tore up down there.

Justin
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
The same storm that hit Jd hit us. All i can say is we now have plenty of firewood for this winter!!

JDSKIDSTEER
05-02-2011, 06:16 AM
The same storm that hit Jd hit us. All i can say is we now have plenty of firewood for this winter!!

You got that right.....3 of those tornado's followednthe same path. Crazy...My buddies house was hit twice.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Here is a picture of a brand new off brand ;) combine that was just delivered.

JB1
05-02-2011, 08:01 AM
really makes you think how really small in life we all are when mother nature unleashes her fury. Glad to to see you are ok.

bobcat_ron
05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Some of the people got smart, they built houses with brick.

tnmtn
05-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Glad your OK. with devastation like that where do you start?

YellowDogSVC
05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Some of the people got smart, they built houses with brick.

a lot of brick houses were destroyed.

I grew up near birmingham.. seen some damage before but nothing like what they have in Tuscaloosa and west birmingham and the north part of state where JD is. Very sad and my heart goes out to everyone

Heavyduty1
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Your lucky to be kicken when that many homes are destroyed. North Carolina just got hit a few weeks ago and crooks have been stealing while the home owners are gone during the night because of the electric being down.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Your lucky to be kicken when that many homes are destroyed. North Carolina just got hit a few weeks ago and crooks have been stealing while the home owners are gone during the night because of the electric being down.

We had a little of that happening here until people started shooting the looters. You see in the state of Alabama we still believe in not only the right to own guns, but the right to protect your home and property. It is a law here that you can shoot them if you feel there is a threat to your family or property and the sherrif made sure that people knew this was their right to do so if necessary. After a couple got shot, it came to an end.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-03-2011, 06:19 AM
a lot of brick houses were destroyed.

I grew up near Birmingham.. seen some damage before but nothing like what they have in Tuscaloosa and west Birmingham and the north part of state where JD is. Very sad and my heart goes out to everyone

It was bigger than that, Cullman, Mt. Hope, Moulton, Phil Cambell, Arab, Guntersville, High Top, Flat Rock, E5 compleetly destroyed 95% of the little town of Hackleburg. Hit everywhere north of Tuscaloossa and Birmingham. The news media just does not know, and now that Bin-ladin has been killed they have moved on to the next big story.

I hate that I am benifiting form such destruction financialy. You can bet I will be helping those without, and the Volunteer Fire Departments. They have depleted all of their funds.

bobcat_ron
05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Alabama kicks ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skidsteerman
05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
WOW!!! Mother Nature is really pissed off this year for sure. That storm killed somewhere around ~ 300 people??? After seeing the photos it's amazing anyone survived. No basements to hide in down there I suppose?!?

We got smacked last week with an F4 that took out a bunch of homes and rearranged St Louis Lambert airport some, no one was killed though.

YellowDogSVC
05-03-2011, 10:42 PM
It was bigger than that, Cullman, Mt. Hope, Moulton, Phil Cambell, Arab, Guntersville, High Top, Flat Rock, E5 compleetly destroyed 95% of the little town of Hackleburg. Hit everywhere north of Tuscaloossa and Birmingham. The news media just does not know, and now that Bin-ladin has been killed they have moved on to the next big story.

I hate that I am benifiting form such destruction financialy. You can bet I will be helping those without, and the Volunteer Fire Departments. They have depleted all of their funds.

Very sad. I know that area well.

waters lawn care
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Yes here in cullman their is not many of the old historic homes and businesses left now. They are being condemned daily very sad this town lost a lot. The volunteers have been great.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Yes here in cullman their is not many of the old historic homes and businesses left now. They are being condemned daily very sad this town lost a lot. The volunteers have been great.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm so sorry to hear that. I heard on the news that the scam artists and fly-by-nights are already hitting the area hard.. Very sad.

ksss
05-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Glad you and yours were unscathed JD. Terrible situation you guys are in dow there. I am sure everyone will pull together and take care of each other. Don't put too many hours on my 333D! Take care.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Glad you and yours were unscathed JD. Terrible situation you guys are in dow there. I am sure everyone will pull together and take care of each other. Don't put too many hours on my 333D! Take care.

I sold your 333D. The man was coming to look at it Wednesday and the storms hit. I was using it on Friday and the man called and bought it. His whole house and check book blew away. He bought a 333D, brush graple and Bradco brush cutter.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

It is crazy how many populated areas were hit. I have to take a brush grapple down there to a customer but it so busy I have not had a chance to get down there....That is part of my sales territory for loaders. I am going to send my driver down Saturday.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Here is a neat video someone put together of just a fraction of the storm damage done in our area that was hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE2UF5yqU-E&feature=player_embedded

JDSKIDSTEER
05-06-2011, 06:02 AM
This is one of 3 tornado's that followed the same path. I watched this off my front porch about 4 or 5 miles away. I thought I was witnessing the bigest thunder and lightning storm ever. It was transformers and TVA power lines exploding that lit up the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOSG-P1EjfU&sns=fb

Bleed Green
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I sold your 333D. The man was coming to look at it Wednesday and the storms hit. I was using it on Friday and the man called and bought it. His whole house and check book blew away. He bought a 333D, brush graple and Bradco brush cutter.

Not too bad if the guy can lose everything and still be able to buy a new CTL and a couple attachments.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Here are some more storm clean up pictures.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-09-2011, 10:27 PM
The customer is loving his new 333D.

Bleed Green
05-09-2011, 10:50 PM
So JD skiddteer is that u in the 333D or is it the customer u sold the 333D to doing storm cleanup?
Posted via Mobile Devicelove the pics keep them coming, always nice to see D series skids in the dirt

bobcat_ron
05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I always think of Deere's articulated loaders when I see the Deere D Series skid steer rear ends.

Bleed Green
05-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Articulated loaders, are u talking about front end loaders?
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
still depresses me to see those pictures but at least they are making headway

JDSKIDSTEER
05-10-2011, 08:13 AM
So JD skiddteer is that u in the 333D or is it the customer u sold the 333D to doing storm cleanup?
Posted via Mobile Devicelove the pics keep them coming, always nice to see D series skids in the dirt

It is the customer. I used it one day cleaning up before he called and said he wanted it. We were doing a photo shoot for a Deere magazine yesterday.

Bleed Green
05-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Is it worksite journal or another deere mag?
Posted via Mobile Device

JDSKIDSTEER
05-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Is it worksite journal or another deere mag?
Posted via Mobile Device Worksite Journal...They were already scheuled to do poultry customers and a railroad maintenance customer this week, so I talked them into this story too.

Bleed Green
05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Very cool I tried to get a job writing for them when I graduated with my journalism degree last summer, but I don't think they were hiring at the time for writers. That would be a very neat job though.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDSKIDSTEER
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Very cool I tried to get a job writing for them when I graduated with my journalism degree last summer, but I don't think they were hiring at the time for writers. That would be a very neat job though.
Posted via Mobile Device

This guy has beed doing it for a while. He came about 6 years ago and did one at a cotton gin.

Bleed Green
05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
When i sent an email to someone at John Deere about writing for them last year they said all the journalists were in house journalists, so I guess they have a small group of guys who do the stories and thats all they need. One day maybe I can replace one of those guys.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-14-2011, 05:53 AM
I have been sooooooo busy.

Bleed Green
05-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Where are the pics? Prove it haha
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I have been sooooooo busy.

I believe it. I helped my buddy load 10 machines (all bobcat) to go to bama. The USAR team I am on is also in bama right now lending a hand. Good luck to you guys and stay safe!

JDSKIDSTEER
05-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I believe it. I helped my buddy load 10 machines (all bobcat) to go to bama. The USAR team I am on is also in bama right now lending a hand. Good luck to you guys and stay safe!

Thanks clean up in our area is going along faster than I thought.

SiteSolutions
05-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Have you heard much about how to get involved with the big Army Corps of Engineers contract? Still nosing around for a way in but don't want to make any big investment up front... other than maybe a lightweight grapple ;)

JDSKIDSTEER
05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Have you heard much about how to get involved with the big Army Corps of Engineers contract? Still nosing around for a way in but don't want to make any big investment up front... other than maybe a lightweight grapple ;)

I have not, but I am sending after your grapple in the morning and should be here by Noon.

Junior M
05-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Sitesolutions, how ya been?

SiteSolutions
05-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I just about got all the way out of dirt work last year, but still had a couple machines laying around. Had a day job where I had to wear a jacket and tie, it sucked but it was a steady check every two weeks. Got set free from that at the start of February and by March I had started pushing dirt around again.

Did a nice big job in early April, then a giant tornado came by 2 miles from my house. Spent two weeks just volunteering but spent up a chunk of savings. There is so much work everywhere but trying to get a piece of the pie is a challenge.

There are contractors from about everywhere but around here in some giant ass trucks. I drove one Saturday for a sub of a sub of a sub of the prime that is working for the Army Corps of Engineers. Straight truck with knuckle boom and a 51 cu yard bed, pulling a pup trailer with another 44 cu yd capacity. If you wanna get on as a sub of a sub of the prime, you need 5 trucks minimum and enough safety equipment to fill an 8' truck bed till it is spilling over, plus about 3 ground crew for each area...

Like I was telling JD, I'd love to get involved but no way am I getting in $40,000 debt or more for something that may be gone in a month's time. Looking at demolition and stump removal as stuff I can do with what I already have... and if i get the $$ lined up, I'm getting new tracks and a grapple.