PDA

View Full Version : sprayers

heather
10-05-2002, 12:51 AM
thinking about buying a 200gal sprayer from northern tool for fert/iron on lawns.Also fert/water on annuals. Any thoughts on equipment?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-05-2002, 01:06 AM
First I would spend the extra $200 for the Hypro pump, and the commercial duty 5.5HP Honda engine, over the Comet pump, and entry level Honda 5hp.

The price is not bad but the S&H will hit you good.

Would you be interested in building your own¿

Second why spray¿ Why not granular¿

Cheaper and easier to handle and use.

Turfdude
10-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Second why spray¿ Why not granular¿

Cheaper and easier to handle and use.

C'Mon Mike. Why spray?? Cheaper??
1. Spray as to avoid putting down unnecessary amountsof herbicide. Hit target plants as needed/ treat as needed.
2. Straight fertilizers are a lot less $$ than ferts w/ herbicide and spray is not that much$$ especially at a mere 2-2.5 gals/1000 sqft.

You may be quicker w/ a dry product, but dry weed-n-feed needs a moistlawn at application time for it to work half decently. Also, the granulars IMHO work okay, but not as well as a spray.

Bob

BTW, We use a 200 gal. LESCO w/ electric reel. Holds 300' of hose and works very well. Now to look into a 50 gal side tank!

heather
10-05-2002, 10:43 PM
We also would use a tank to spray for insects(armyworms-chinch bugs) I 'm looking into a rig w/2 100gal tanks to keep things separate.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-07-2002, 06:45 AM
Seprate rigs mean completely seprate tanks, pumps, hoses, etc.....

Now that is over $4,000......

Bob from her first post is was just to feed, now that she has target apps, I see the need for a tank sprayer.

Russ
10-07-2002, 08:52 AM
I looked into shipping on that unit. $500.00 to Indpls. Bought a used one off the board at Lesco the next week.

tremor
10-07-2002, 07:11 PM
Heather,

I've avoided the commercial endorsement as long as I could. Please don't buy a sprayer that is built with bargain box bed-frame rails. You can & certainly should do better.
[img]http://www.lesco.com/Products/default.asp?link=equip[img]

<$3200.00 Ready to spray & built the way ALL sprayers SHOULD be. Terms available subject to credit approval.

(Chuck, please don't ban me for this!)

If this attempt to link you with the appropriate images doesn't work, feel free to send me a private email for a good photo, description, & price.

For the record, I don't make any attempt to use this forum for commercial purposes. But on occasion, the need for solid information breaches the common rules of proper forum etiquete.

Steve with LESCO

sls247@lesco.com

LAWNGODFATHER
10-07-2002, 09:34 PM
http://www.lesco.com/images/200gal_sprayer.jpg

I disagree with tremor on the cheap frame of the Northern one, however this model with suit you much better.

I have a Lesco 200gal that does not sit sideways like this one does in a truck bed.

This one takes up 50% of an 8 foot bed and mine takes up 75-80% of the bed.

greenngrow
10-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Heather,
My setup cost just a little over $1800.00 6 years ago. Now I don't have the frame around the tank.
As for 2 tanks, look at small 12 volt setup for insects. You will find that 100 gallon will be to much.
How are you going to transport??
If you look a pickup then you are limited to how much you can fit in the bed.

sirsweatsalot
10-19-2002, 12:40 AM
hey lawngodfather will that tank fit side ways in a full sized chevy?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-19-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by sirsweatsalot
hey lawngodfather will that tank fit side ways in a full sized chevy? Yes it will, that's what it was designed to do.

sirsweatsalot
10-21-2002, 11:44 PM
i hate to keep poking you with questions lawngodfather but is the price of the leco tank comprible to that of northern tool one?

Hodge
10-24-2002, 01:00 AM
I called Lesco price for the 200 gal sprayer (in Pic) was 2800. Came with hose. Recommendation was to have a 1 ton PU or if you have a .5 ton replace the shocks......:cool:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by sirsweatsalot
i hate to keep poking you with questions lawngodfather but is the price of the leco tank comprible to that of northern tool one?
Minus the layout, they are very comparable.

Hodges........1666 pounds plus 400 or more....over 2000 pounds

Just change the shocks..............I DON'T THINK SO.

Shocks have absolutly nothing to do with wieight carring ablility, they surpress axel movement...hence the name shock "absorber"..

I recomned installing a 200 gallon tank and bigger in at least a 3/4 ton truck or bigger. If for a HALF ton install on a trailer over the wheels of the trailer.

Liquid weight vrs stationary weight is a whole nother world.

Liquid weight "moves".

tremor
10-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Mikes right!
Shocks do nothing to increase legal weight carrying capacity. Please don't tell me the name of my associate or I'll call the person to ream them a new.....

To covert a half ton truck to one ton capacity would require new springs, tires, maybe rims, hubs, & brakes.

Use a one ton truck. Or, if you have a 3/4 ton, the upgrades are much easier.

Half ton trucks today are little more than platforms on which to build SUV's.

With regards to my prior post about weak frames....Northern may well have improved their frame. I really haven't seen a new one in many years. But I once tried to pull one off a truck for repair with a forklift. The frame nearly twisted like a pretzle since there was about 50 gallons of juice still in it.

But believe me, there are some really bad ones out there that are just begging to become a major spill violation if not properly installed or mis-handled.

I once worked for a guy who always bought the best he could find in spray equipment. And he always took a lot of criticism from his out of state LCO cousins whenever they came to town to visit.
One year we had a drunk working for us. He was having marital trouble too. He decided to break route & race home to catch the Mrs foolin' around. In his haste to make time, he rolled the truck on Rt 67 in Seymour CT. I was the third person on the scene (we had cab repeater radios back then). The folks from DEP couldn't believe our truck didn't leak more than a pint of weed control. And the tank had 100 gallons in it. We would thru-bolt every sprayer right into the trucks frame. (14 rigs in all) The heavier tank straps held the tank into the frame for the ride.
The cousins were in town and saw the wrecked truck coming in on a flatbed. They were never heard to udder a word of criticism again.

It only costs a little more to do it right. It can cost an awful lot more to save a buck. Could save a life too.

Steve

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by tremor

To covert a half ton truck to one ton capacity would require new springs, tires, maybe rims, hubs, & brakes.

DO NOT TRY AND DO THIS. The frame cannot handle the added stress either. There is much more than meets the eye to a 3/4 and 1 ton truck.

Master cylinder/booster
Calipers
Rotors
Wheel cylinders
Axels/Rear end
Lines
Drums
Springs
Tires

And an endless list of things to upgrade excluding the frame.

Harvestman
10-24-2002, 09:21 PM
I have a 1/2 ton ford f-150 club cab short bed with a small V8. We put 10 ply tires and some timberion bushings just above the axle. This truck has a 200 gal. lesco spacesaver in the bed. I can also carry about 20 50# bags of fert. This truck performs wonderful. Those bushings are to shelf. Once the frame is on the axle it drives really well.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Have fun stopping it.

So you are telling me your truck is illegal?

2066# plus 1000# that would be...........3066# right?

GVW of you truck is about 6200 right?

I bet your truck weighs more than 3134 pounds.

It don't matter what you register your truck at, you carring capasity can not go beond the DOT stamped tag inside your door.

Remember you still have to get cought first for it to be illegal.

BTW I got them on my 3/4 ton.

GrazerZ
10-26-2002, 05:32 PM
:D I love my 200 gallon lesco like lawmgodfather showed above. Spend the extra, you wo'nt regret it.

Tony Harrell
10-27-2002, 06:34 AM
I've used a 100 gallon tank in a Dodge 1500 with overload springs and a 600 lb commercial topper. Brakes, cooling system and tranny will require extra maint. New tranny? Around $4000! Also, be careful when turning, the liquid will slosh around even if it's baffled. A quick steering correction will send you off the road and/or tipped over.

rkk95
10-26-2003, 06:36 PM
I was just considering getting a Lesco space saver, my biggest concern was if I could fit a spreader and some fert in a short bed truck alog with it. Harvestman did you have 20 bags of fert and a spreader, or were you just hauling the fert? Does anyone know the dimensions of this unit I could not find much on the Lesco web site. I also considered buying a similar unit from Gregson Clark, but was conserned about parts if I needed them right away.

Enviro Green
10-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to weigh in....

Tremor, I had the Northern Sprayer and now have the Lesco 200 space saver. No comparison. Both a chevette and a corvette are cars and will get you where you want to go, but there are some distinct differences.

I use a 3/4 ton truck with HD suspension, cooling package, etc. It does fine, but like mike said, watch that water weight. I can also put a lot fo otehr stuff in the bed. Mine is a long bed, I wish it was even longer...I also have an extended cab, so it takes some area to turn this trcuk. Ford dos make a package on the stright cab 150's now that will carry the 200 gallon weight.

With the shortbed truck, buy the thing lesco has or make one to put your spreader in the hitch reciver in the back, that will save you a lot of lifting.

Best luck,

EG

Ric
10-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Enviro Green

I will second the Northern Sprayer's frame is junk. The hose reel not much better. However the D 30 pump and Honda engine is as good as they make.

Bottom line is you don't alway get what you pay for, But you darn sure don't get more than you pay for.

walker-talker
10-27-2003, 12:25 PM
I bought the Lesco space saver last spring. With all the talk of the perma green, I am wondering if I should have saved my money and applied it to this unit. You might check into the perma green.

Matt