PDA

View Full Version : liability insurance??

juicygrass
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone.I wanted to ask a question about liability insurance.I'd like to have some insurance for protection in lawn mowing but heres my dilema.I work full time with a company doing lawn care and i dont really have much time to do alot of extra lawns on my own but i can handle a few.My question is can i get liability insurance for myself(only me cutting yards)without registering as a business?I dont really want to register as a business,get llc or dba and all that stuff for the amount of yards i can possibly only handle.I really just want to be protected from sue happy people and damages.Is this possible?I would like to make a little extra money on the side with the experience my job has given me.I pay taxes with my regular job already and don't see the sense of registering a business and paying more taxes with a business i dont plan on expanding past my few yards i can only handle.If in future i decide to change whether i want to expand or need to i can change all that legal stuff later.any comments would be greatly appreciated..thanks

nepatsfan
05-02-2011, 09:38 PM
customer- how come you are $45 to cut my lawn and (insert name from above) is only $35 per cut.

Me- see above post

juicygrass
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry nepatsfan,but your post confuses me a little when it has nothing to do with what i asked??Can you elaborate a little?unless that post you made was a mistake?I'm not sure what your saying or why u answered to my question in the way u did. sorry.

SouthSide Cutter
05-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Pretty sure you can, because I did under Farmers a few years back. They only wanted my name and ask if anyone else would be mowing, which would raise the price. It was around 200.00.

CLARK LAWN
05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry nepatsfan,but your post confuses me a little when it has nothing to do with what i asked??Can you elaborate a little?unless that post you made was a mistake?I'm not sure what your saying or why u answered to my question in the way u did. sorry.

what he means is that he is running a legit business and it cost him $xx to mow said lawn. you come along, no insurance, no taxes, no license and do it for less. now you are just part of the problem.

juicygrass
05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
so basically you are tellin me if i dont run a full fludge business right from the start and others do with all this overhead and greed they have dont cut any at all?I'm not tryin to step on anyones toes, even though there is more lawns all of us can handle.I can still charge what he does and id be benefiting a little more than him without insurance but my post was i wanted to pay insurance.I dont need a license and if i have a full time job i already am paying taxes with that job.I dont get why somebody would be mad because im not paying even more taxes than i already do.how is that contributing to the problem?

nepatsfan
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
You owe taxes on your entire income...not just what you feel you should pay on. Send a copy of this thread in with your taxes next year and see what Uncle Sam thinks of your "business plan"

juicygrass
05-02-2011, 11:01 PM
so he is saying if i could handle a handful of accounts but dont want to be a full business on my own then dont make extra loot at all?

crocs27
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
why does everyone highjack a question someone has. Get off your high horse because you do things legitly. That's good that you do it that way and you should but geez.

grincon
05-02-2011, 11:25 PM
so basically you are tellin me if i dont run a full fludge business right from the start and others do with all this overhead and greed they have dont cut any at all?I'm not tryin to step on anyones toes, even though there is more lawns all of us can handle.I can still charge what he does and id be benefiting a little more than him without insurance but my post was i wanted to pay insurance.I dont need a license and if i have a full time job i already am paying taxes with that job.I dont get why somebody would be mad because im not paying even more taxes than i already do.how is that contributing to the problem?

Greed? I'm just trying to make a living here!

juicygrass
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
send me a copy of the statue that says i have to pay federal income tax.u wont find it.we all abide anyhow?i pay taxes at my full time employment already.i understand its earned income that should be reported,but les say 5 accounts for just mowing but have to pay (my insurance quote)900.00 to be insured doesn't make sense?so unless i go balls to the wall with all of the responsibilities of an established business i shouldnt use my skills to make a little extra money?The amounts would be pennys compared to big companies.Having a hand full of accounts minus 900.000ins.Then pay taxes on that?rich get richer,poor get poorer.eh

hedgehog2010
05-03-2011, 03:40 AM
I had only a few clients last year, I cut two days a week, my total income was around 4,000, I reported my taxes quarterly, it wasn't enough to have to pay taxes on. I also had a full time job that I did pay taxes with. Now with the business license I was able to write off expenses, and got money back at tax time. Getting insurance is another expense you can write off and get money back, the money I got back helped pay for my insurance this year. It's a heck of a lot better than getting sued and having to get another job to pay off the law suit.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn splop
05-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Greed? I'm just trying to make a living here!

Don't worry mate. I feel for you

CLARK LAWN
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
send me a copy of the statue that says i have to pay federal income tax.u wont find it.we all abide anyhow?i pay taxes at my full time employment already.i understand its earned income that should be reported,but les say 5 accounts for just mowing but have to pay (my insurance quote)900.00 to be insured doesn't make sense?so unless i go balls to the wall with all of the responsibilities of an established business i shouldnt use my skills to make a little extra money?The amounts would be pennys compared to big companies.Having a hand full of accounts minus 900.000ins.Then pay taxes on that?rich get richer,poor get poorer.eh

well then why do i bother to send in the ES check 4 times a year? bottom line is that ALL income must be reported when you file your taxes. Failure to do this is called tax evasion. you only do a handfull and dont charge the right amount because you just do it for some extra money, well 50 other guys are doing the same thing. how many accounts is that? if you are going to run illegal then be prepared for what happens.

BTW if you claim the income then you can also claim the expenses and that could possibly lead to you showing a loss for a year or two and getting a bigger refund, but hey i'm just greedy and dont know nothing cause your just trying to get a little extra cash.

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
first of all, if you are being charged 900 for liability insurance, find a new agent. I'll admit that for the first 3 years, I didn't get liability insurance because I thought the exact same thing. I'm only making $x.xx this year, why should I pay 25% to get insurance. I signed up with Nationwide and working solo it was something like $300 for the year. To cover my equipment, it's another $1.25 per $100 insured.

Taxes, I've reported since day one, the first several years, I lost money, just the nature of the game and the way I played it. So basically, by running "legit", I had money coming in, which I used to purchase equipment (consider it a 15% discount, every time you buy something) and then have Uncle Sam send me a tax refund since my accounts were in the red every year.

Believe it or not, doing it the right way, has MANY benefits.

stlouis grass cutter
05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

If you are not that worried about it then why did you start a thread about it?

You probably do not have to pay federal income tax (withholding, which is what your employer does), but may have to pay an estimated tax, which is based on your previous years (self employment) income. Since you are mowing grass on your own you are considered "self employed". There is no way for a self employed individual to give an exact amount of what they will make at years end.

Here is something from the CT Dept. of Revenue Services, took me two minutes to find.

INCOME NOT SUBJECT TO WITHHOLDING: The checklist below includes many (although not all) of the types of income that are not subject to Connecticut income tax withholding and that may require you to pay estimated tax: self-employment;
pensions and annuities (if no Connecticut income tax is withheld);
unemployment compensation;
prize winnings;
capital gains;
interest income;
dividend income;
gambling winnings (if no Connecticut income tax is withheld);
rental income;
federally taxable social security.
To avoid the filing of estimated tax, you may request your employer or pension plan payer to withhold additional amounts from your wages or pension income to cover the taxes on other income. You can make this change by providing your employer or pension payer with a revised Form CT-W4, Form CT-W4P or Form CT-W4CS.

http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?A=1510&Q=266784

You asked and now you have an answer. People all over the U.S. do side work and do not report it. Why didnt you just call an account, an insurance broker? Find out all the information you needed and then make a decision based on that information. My guess is that would be too much work and wanted to get a quick easy answer.

thezaz
05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I have full coverage on me and my gear and i have my LLC. Personally I get ticked at guys that don't have insurance and my reason for that is if you mess up someone house or something stupid and can't pay for it everyone looks bad not just you and the customer deserves better. Also for yourself it protects you. Last thing If I am correct its law in the state I live in. If they find out you don't have it you are finished. If you don't have a lot of gear it can be under 500.00 a year. Best thing you can do is check the laws and do things by the book. Last thing I have to say is those guys that I am loosing jobs to because the bids are so low I don't even know how they pay for gas are no friend of mine.

weeze
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
if you get insurance your deductable is gonna be $500-$1000...so unless there is a chance of breaking anything that costs more than that it's not worth having...your equipment? well if you have new equipment it's under warranty anyways so it's covered or you can just pay to fix it yourself if it's old.....most people on here want you to get it because they are afraid of being sued by someone for something....like if some sort of accident should happen...but good common sense can be used to avoid any major accidents...minor things will happen like broken windows and such but it's easy to just pay the owner what it costs to fix it which isn't that much.....most of the liability insurance is needed if you mow commercial accounts since there's alot of cars around and stuff but if you only do residential then there isn't really a need for it unless you are afraid of being sued or something...it's not required to have it by law or anything...at least not in my state...it's just something you have to determine yourself....a good example is someone mentioned on here that a person cut the grass at a church that had like a $250k stained glass window and they threw a rock into it...so in that case you would definately need insurance...but a normal residential window costs like $25 to replace the glass lol...some may be a little more but you get my point...if you dont' have insurance then never mow if people are outside or kids are around playing in the yard....that is an accident waiting to happen...make them all go inside first

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
What if you knock an air conditioner unit off it's base and tear apart the connecting hoses? That work isn't cheap. What if in wet conditions, your Z slips and goes through a privacy fence? Stuff like that happens. As for the 500-1000 deductible, the quote I got from Nationwide was $250 deductible. I don't have a single piece of equipment less than $250 (replacement price), of course rakes, shovels, etc. don't count, so if my stuff gets stolen, and they make off with only two items....it's worth the roughly $200 a year to allow me to sleep at night.

As much as I feel that insurance is as close to legalized gambling as you can get, liability and equipment coverage seems like a no brainer if you get it for the right price.

CLARK LAWN
05-03-2011, 05:09 PM
if you get insurance your deductable is gonna be $500-$1000...so unless there is a chance of breaking anything that costs more than that it's not worth having...your equipment? well if you have new equipment it's under warranty anyways so it's covered or you can just pay to fix it yourself if it's old.....most people on here want you to get it because they are afraid of being sued by someone for something....like if some sort of accident should happen...but good common sense can be used to avoid any major accidents...minor things will happen like broken windows and such but it's easy to just pay the owner what it costs to fix it which isn't that much.....most of the liability insurance is needed if you mow commercial accounts since there's alot of cars around and stuff but if you only do residential then there isn't really a need for it unless you are afraid of being sued or something...it's not required to have it by law or anything...at least not in my state...it's just something you have to determine yourself....a good example is someone mentioned on here that a person cut the grass at a church that had like a $250k stained glass window and they threw a rock into it...so in that case you would definately need insurance...but a normal residential window costs like $25 to replace the glass lol...some may be a little more but you get my point...if you dont' have insurance then never mow if people are outside or kids are around playing in the yard....that is an accident waiting to happen...make them all go inside first

totally useless post. all info is wrong.

weeze
05-03-2011, 05:11 PM
quote GravyTrain: What if you knock an air conditioner unit off it's base and tear apart the connecting hoses? That work isn't cheap. What if in wet conditions, your Z slips and goes through a privacy fence? Stuff like that happens. As for the 500-1000 deductible, the quote I got from Nationwide was $250 deductible. I don't have a single piece of equipment less than $250 (replacement price), of course rakes, shovels, etc. don't count, so if my stuff gets stolen, and they make off with only two items....it's worth the roughly $200 a year to allow me to sleep at night.

As much as I feel that insurance is as close to legalized gambling as you can get, liability and equipment coverage seems like a no brainer if you get it for the right price.
$250 a year is really cheap...most quotes i've seen are $600 a year or more...a fence is cheap to replace...you can buy sections at lowe's or home depot and like i said use common sense...don't run into an air conditioner unit lol....pay attention to what you are doing...i've been mowing for 25 years and never once have i hit an air conditioner nor have i ever gone through a fence lol...learn how to operate a mower if you do things like that...i mean seriously...it's always like this...the examples people give are rediculous...if someone steals a trimmer that's cheaper to replace than paying $600 a year...same goes for a blower....you can always lock them up if you live in a bad area...put your stuff in your garage at night or whatever...use common sense

weeze
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
totally useless post. all info is wrong.

how is it wrong? thanks for disagreeing

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
You must not carry car insurance either, or home insurance? No life insurance right? Medical insurance...nah, don't need any of that, because as long as you use common sense, nothing will go wrong.

I do believe that your examples are "rediculous" (see:dictionary). 25 years is a long time to be in this industry, and I respect that. I truly do. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me, imagine going 25 years and never making an accident. I've never run into an air conditioner either. I've never shot a rock through a window. I've never run through a fence (although I came very, very close once). That doesn't mean stuff like that will never happen, it just means it hasn't happened yet.

As for things getting stolen....seriously, just lock things up? You should run for governor. Make it a law that you lock everything up in your house and you could completely get rid of the police force. Of course, you'd have to put out speed limit signs so people wouldn't speed. And pass a law making it illegal to kill other people, but that shouldn't be difficult. You could save the tax payers millions.

The point is, you can't control everything around you, stuff happens. And for me, when that stuff happens, I'd rather be able to let my insurance agent take care of it, so I can't do what I love, and that's not paying out the wazoo to fix a mistake.

weeze
05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
You must not carry car insurance either, or home insurance? No life insurance right? Medical insurance...nah, don't need any of that, because as long as you use common sense, nothing will go wrong.

I do believe that your examples are "rediculous" (see:dictionary). 25 years is a long time to be in this industry, and I respect that. I truly do. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me, imagine going 25 years and never making an accident. I've never run into an air conditioner either. I've never shot a rock through a window. I've never run through a fence (although I came very, very close once). That doesn't mean stuff like that will never happen, it just means it hasn't happened yet.

As for things getting stolen....seriously, just lock things up? You should run for governor. Make it a law that you lock everything up in your house and you could completely get rid of the police force. Of course, you'd have to put out speed limit signs so people wouldn't speed. And pass a law making it illegal to kill other people, but that shouldn't be difficult. You could save the tax payers millions.

The point is, you can't control everything around you, stuff happens. And for me, when that stuff happens, I'd rather be able to let my insurance agent take care of it, so I can't do what I love, and that's not paying out the wazoo to fix a mistake.

i do have car insurance(required by law), home insurance(required by law), and medical insurance..i don't have life insurance...i don't need it...i have no wife or kids...my parents can take care of my funeral and sell my house or whatever....why do people always just take things and run with it on here?...i've never had anything stolen...i always keep an eye on things....i'm not saying you can prevent everything...there is a certain risk in everything in life...waking up in the morning you are taking a risk....you are living your life full of worry of what could happen....it may or may not...all i'm saying is you have to weigh the risks for yourself and decide if you need insurance or not...personally i don't need it and i've had no problems...i did break a window and all i had to do was give the lady $20 to fix it...not a big deal...this was a first time cut and the grass was a foot tall so i couldn't see a piece of steel wire in the grass which flew into the window....but now that i can see everything it won't happen again...i just have to check more closely when i do first cuts from now on.....easy enough....if the grass is really tall walk every inch of the yard first...if i saw someone running off with my trimmer or blower i would chase them down and beat the crap out of them....lesson learned on their part lol...seriously though it's rare for that kind of stuff to happen...it seems you are grasping for straws trying to justify things...i wouldn't get liability insurance unless you cut commercial accounts in which most cases it's required anyways

CLARK LAWN
05-03-2011, 05:30 PM
a deductable comes in when the insurance campany has to pay YOU for a loss not when they pay a claim to someone for damage caused by you. As for the warrenty on your equipment what does that matter if it gets stolen? insurance is not to protect you but to protect the public from you.

here's an example for you. about 4 years ago the high school marching band was outside practicing. across the street from the school a LCO was mowing a rsidential property. it was the middle of august, grass not growing much so he was side discharging. one of the mowers picked up the lid to a can of copenhagen that was in the grassand fired it out the discharge. it flew about 200 yards and hit a kid in the head hard enough to lacerate their forehead and cause then to fall and strike their head on the pavement.in doing so the kid fractured his skull and was unconsious. i was there with the FD, we brought a chopper in and flew them to the hospital, level 1 truama center. they were in a coma for a couple weeks and had to got through months of rehab. the "company" did not have insurance becuase all the did "was a few residentals". the owner of the company lost everything he had both business and personal. the homeowner's insurance had to pay for everything and then they dropped him for having an uninsured contractor working on their property. i know the homeowner, grew up with him. he now lives in an apartment because he cannot get any homeowner insurance so the bank foreclosed becuase of his inabilty to protect the assests

weeze
05-03-2011, 05:36 PM
a deductable comes in when the insurance campany has to pay YOU for a loss not when they pay a claim to someone for damage caused by you. As for the warrenty on your equipment what does that matter if it gets stolen? insurance is not to protect you but to protect the public from you.

here's an example for you. about 4 years ago the high school marching band was outside practicing. across the street from the school a LCO was mowing a rsidential property. it was the middle of august, grass not growing much so he was side discharging. one of the mowers picked up the lid to a can of copenhagen that was in the grassand fired it out the discharge. it flew about 200 yards and hit a kid in the head hard enough to lacerate their forehead and cause then to fall and strike their head on the pavement.in doing so the kid fractured his skull and was unconsious. i was there with the FD, we brought a chopper in and flew them to the hospital, level 1 truama center. they were in a coma for a couple weeks and had to got through months of rehab. the "company" did not have insurance becuase all the did "was a few residentals". the owner of the company lost everything he had both business and personal. the homeowner's insurance had to pay for everything and then they dropped him for having an uninsured contractor working on their property. i know the homeowner, grew up with him. he now lives in an apartment because he cannot get any homeowner insurance so the bank foreclosed becuase of his inabilty to protect the assests

someone isn't gonna make a fast getaway trying to steal a lawnmower lol...i would chase them down...you can do things like keep the key to the mower in your pocket while you go around back to trim....they aren't gonna push it away if it weighs over 1000 pounds lol and it will take too much time so you will catch them before they had time to unload it from your trailer and roll it onto another one

like i said this is a far reach out there...this kind of thing isn't likely to happen and you should discharge away from the road when mowing close to it..you shouldn't cut the grass while the band is practicing anyways...like i said before...don't cut when people are around...come back at a different time of day to do the job.....my point is what are you going to break that costs so much that you need insurance?.....if the owner has an expensive car tell them to pull it into the garage or out by the stree while you mow....always point the discharge away from things like cars, roads, etc...use common sense...i guess it's just easier here since i don't live in a big city with lots of stuff going on...everything is spread out more here in the country

weeze
05-03-2011, 05:50 PM
if someone steals something from your garage at home it's covered under your homeowner's policy...just letting you guys know if you don't know already

A Leaf Above
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM

This is the reason you get insurance and you incorporate your business ....No one and i mean no one will take any of my personal assets because of my business ...You must seperate the two or expect to loose everything ...

tjlco
05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
This is the reason you get insurance and you incorporate your business ....No one and i mean no one will take any of my personal assets because of my business ...You must seperate the two or expect to loose everything ...

Quite possibly some of the best advice on LS

A Leaf Above
05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
sorry wrong button ...im a dummy ...

tjlco
05-03-2011, 08:27 PM

This could happen to anybody, I've seen stuff fly out from under my mower and said holy crap, Thank God it didn't hit somebody( I have a mulching kit and plate) ...point is it could happen

juicygrass
05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks for your response.that was more along the lines i had in mind.Let me ask you something,you say you cut 2 days with a FEW clients and grossed 4000?Is that a month?or a year?

juicygrass
05-03-2011, 08:40 PM
i meant greed as in how much individuals want to make per hour to do the job.if one guy mows a yard that takes 30minutes and he charges 35 dollars,but another charges 50.how else would u put it.there are people out there that are charging more than others with big price differances.what u call that?

juicygrass
05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
if you only knew what the government actually wanted us to pay taxes we would all be in prison.

nepatsfan
05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
i meant greed as in how much individuals want to make per hour to do the job.if one guy mows a yard that takes 30minutes and he charges 35 dollars,but another charges 50.how else would u put it.there are people out there that are charging more than others with big price differances.what u call that?

All my guys have uniforms, I offer a 401k, We have trucks and equipment to do the job properly, fully insured, workers comp, and pay taxes. I have a shop that I rent because I am not allowed to store equipment due to town bylaws.....Most towns are this way. My neighbors do not want to hear diesel trucks starting every morning along with mowers or any other equipment we are taking that day and seeing guys in and out all day because something was forgotten or they need a back up. We have back up equipment so if our equipment goes down we dont call and say we can't come that week. I pay mechanics more than a lot of people make a year to keep trucks running in perfect shape so we don't have to call and say my truck broke we can't come this week.

There are a million things I am forgetting but it's not the first time I have heard the word greed used on this site for charging more. You will be the same guy to come on here and say that you don't understand why they didn't hire you and blame a lowballer. Maybe people like professionalism? Maybe the fact that we arent going to call and say we are going on vacation or we are sick (or insert excuse here...break down, need to bring kid to doctor...whatever the case)so the lawn is gonna be long for their kid's graduation party or 4th of july party is worth more to people because it's gonna cost me more to cut a lawn than it will when you show up with your f150 and your walk behind and ryobi trimmer. You call it greed...I call it capitalism. My overhead is going to be higher than you regardless and I really could care less what you do to be honest. It is the industry in general. We have tons of work and are always booked solid. 90% of our work is from referrals and is based on quality and reliability. I am never gonna beat your price or most peoples prices. I like to think we provide excellent service at a fair price but we certainly will not be the lowest price.

I take exception to (because we do everything we can to provide exceptional service and be 100% legal) people who openly discuss debating getting insurance and not going to file taxes because they feel that they are only making a little extra money. The playing field is not level when you feel you are above the law.

This isn't some game to me. This is my life, this is how I support my family. Greed.....I don't think so.

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Well spoken
Posted via Mobile Device

thezaz
05-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I agree Well Spoken
I work a full time job and do a full time lawn company.
I pay my insurance on both
I pay taxes on both
For the guy about the 25$ for window repair I think not try 200 to 400 for most home windows.
No I will not ask a client to move there car unless it's parked on the grass. It's my job to do the work and not have to bug them every time i want something moved. That's what they pay me for.
Anything can happen. I had a wood chip shoot out from my deck that i didn't see and hit off a tree and hit me on the side of the head and almost knocked me out and a different time same thing something shot out hit off a light pole sliced my hand open. Yes this is all little stuff but still. Not so little as when I had a small dirt clump yes dirt and it shot out the back side of my deck and about 15 feet away was a car and It broke the side window. Glade i had insurance and it was fixed under 2 hrs

Last thing is I will never run crappy gear that always needs repair and is braking down on people land. I have a new truck but never park in peoples drives. Why i don't want to ever leak oil or gas on it and I always fill my stuff on the road.
Yeah what I have to say may be random but I think can be good food for thought and perspective

chris@perfectlawncare
05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
why does everyone highjack a question someone has. Get off your high horse because you do things legitly. That's good that you do it that way and you should but geez.

Its more that we are trying to inform this gentleman that there is only way to enter this business, and any business for that matter. You wouldn't open a restaurant and say, well, if I get twenty tables per night, I'll pay my taxes and call the health department to make sure my food is safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Its more that we are trying to inform this gentleman that there is only way to enter this business, and any business for that matter. You wouldn't open a restaurant and say, well, if I get twenty tables per night, I'll pay my taxes and call the health department to make sure my food is safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some people do get it!:clapping:

CLARK LAWN
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
someone isn't gonna make a fast getaway trying to steal a lawnmower lol...i would chase them down...you can do things like keep the key to the mower in your pocket while you go around back to trim....they aren't gonna push it away if it weighs over 1000 pounds lol and it will take too much time so you will catch them before they had time to unload it from your trailer and roll it onto another one

like i said this is a far reach out there...this kind of thing isn't likely to happen and you should discharge away from the road when mowing close to it..you shouldn't cut the grass while the band is practicing anyways...like i said before...don't cut when people are around...come back at a different time of day to do the job.....my point is what are you going to break that costs so much that you need insurance?.....if the owner has an expensive car tell them to pull it into the garage or out by the stree while you mow....always point the discharge away from things like cars, roads, etc...use common sense...i guess it's just easier here since i don't live in a big city with lots of stuff going on...everything is spread out more here in the country

you know that most mowers only have one key that starts them all, not like your car. homeowners insurance will not cover business property that is stored at your HOME. check with your agent, i did and was suprised to find that nothing was covered. Now with that being said when someone breaks into your garage and cleans you out one day when you arent home that couple hundred a year wont seem like that much compared to, well my loss would be about $75-100K.

when you are out mowing are you certain that there is no one within 200yds? that is 2 football fields. it not like he was right next to the school he was across the street and a couple houses down.

friend of mine in this biz was mowing a shopping plaza a few years ago, he fired an unknown obecjt, never found it,from under the trim side of the mower, through the 12x20 window in front of one of the stores, and into a 70 some inch plasma tv. the sparks from the TV caught the couch that was under it on fire. total damage for everything was around $50,000. luckly 1 he had insurance and 2 it was a sunday and the were closed or there would have been people standing there because it could easly have KILLED some one.

nepatsfan
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I guess that shut this thread down pretty quickly

Prairie Lawn and Snow
05-08-2011, 07:33 PM

What world do you live in? Come back later? Mow when knowone is around? What can you break that cost that much? Not sure where you mow, or what you mow, but I did see you equitment list. That gave me some perspective, I got accounts with $60,000 cars in the driveway, I should go get them from the basement of there 7500sf house and tell them "Well golly gee you gotsta bring in the dog and get the kids out of the pool and please move that vehicle, ohh sorry you were on a work call, me and the boys will wait 1/2 hr till ur done. Ohh and that $50,000 fence around your pool and backyard OOPPIES aint got none of that there ins. didnt think it was worth it. I mow some crapper yards but I got customers with $7500 garage doors and $50,000 paver driveways and fences. We aint mowing road ditches. I wounldn't have the beans to head out without ins. but I guess lot do.

Brett's Lawn Care
05-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I thought I didn't need ins, to this day I haven't broken anything-yet. I posted on here probably 3 weeks ago about not having enough yards to justify buying ins, it was explained to me split it between 2 or 4 mows, depending on when u mow, weekly or bi-weekly. My quote was $75 a month which is 37.50 per week or about $20 per week you cut. Compared to what you can break at anytime and paying to fix it, I now see I can't go without ins, I got 1 mil in coverage, most likely much more than I need but its not bad compared to what you make in a month. It just makes sense, today I was mowing and there was a baseball burried in the dirt, I ve mowed this acct all last year and atleast 6 times this year and never hit the ball, it hit the brick house about 2 inches from a window and hit my truck when it bounced off. Small dent no big deal but had that been a customers car, my body shop guy I mow for said it would cost around $100 to fix or had the part that got hit been plastic and got a hole instead of a ding it could be up to 600 or 1000 depending what part it hit and paint and all that. I have never even noticed the ball before but I am glad it flew the way it did and got my truck instead of a customers, lost contract for no insurance, slightly upset customer for the inconvenience with ins, which can you afford?
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-29-2011, 12:23 PM
What happened to juicy grass.....outta business already? Maybe it was from greed