PDA

View Full Version : customer wants us to use rakes only?

peahlybros.
05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey guys,

wondering what you would do in this situation. I have a customer, not a regular, that called today asking if we would do a spring cleanup. It is a very shady property, with newly seeded lawn last year, and he did not have a fall clean up done, so needless to say the property looks like hell. He now wants us to do a cleanup but with rakes only because he believes it is healthier for the lawn.

Have you ever been requested to do this? What would you tell him, or would you do the job as he requests? The way I would do it is clear the leaves with blowers then dethatch with a dethatcher if it is thatch he is worried about.

P.S. I have not personally spoke with the customer yet, so I do not know all of the details and his reasoning.

nepatsfan
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't get the job. I would honor his request and tell him 45 dollars a man hour. We will spend a week here if thats what you want sir. Most people that call you and tell you how to do your job are not the people you want to work for. Go Bruins

vencops
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Hrs. worked X hourly rate......and I'll use a fork if he wants.

Darryl G
05-02-2011, 11:09 PM
If they insisted on rakes, I'd probably turn it down simply because I'm solo at this time of the year, my right shoulder already hurts from the raking, dragging, lifting and hauling I've had to do and I hate using rakes.

But it sounds to me like the customer is telling the contractor how to do something. The way I see it, it's up to the customer to communicate what it is they want done. It's up to the contractor to do it in a professional manner with the tools of his trade he/she feels are most efficieint and appropriate. Rakes disturb the soil a hell of a lot more than blowers and I think blowers would be more gentle on a tender new lawn.

And I must say....what the hell...they plant a new lawn and then skip the fall cleanup....no wonder they needed a new lawn to begin with.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Tell him how you are experienced in this industry and explain to him thoroughly why you do certain jobs the way you do. If you have enough time on your hands to spend a whole week raking one yard i might go ahead and do it that way, but there arent enough hours in the day for me this time of year!

peahlybros.
05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Yea I know.... I swear some people just have no clue.... the grass is pretty much toast at this point... between the shade and lack of maintenance. :hammerhead:

And I was thinking the same thing that rakes would do more damage than good. And we are starting to fall behind with cleanups as it is... But at this point if he wants to pay $45/hr I'll use what ever he wants hahaha... When I talk with him I will explain how the rakes are not recommended and go from there.

thanks again

grassman88
05-02-2011, 11:30 PM
i would go and talk to him in person and explain the way you want to do it and if he doesnt like it then walk away from that job thank him for contacting you and say i dont have time to rake a whole property

gasracer
05-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I would explain to him the time involved raking the whole yard and the hourly rate to do it. If he still wants to pay out that cost compared to vacuuming or blowing it out then ok, If not say thank you and move on.

Smallaxe
05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Newly seeded lawn that he left the leaves on all winter and now he wants to rip out any grass that may have survived with a rake... The guy's an idiot, and I don't work for idiots, because they always ruin your reputation...

ron mexico75
05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
You can tell him 2 things;

-The only rake you'll be using is the one to rake in all the extra cash he will be paying if you can't use blowers.

-The other rake will be the one you use to rake his A$$ over the coals if he tells you how to do the work once you already start it. :laugh:

stan the man
05-03-2011, 03:36 PM
i have a account that is hand racking. it suc#s and a lot time. but it full time account and i get a lot work from them.

grassman88
05-03-2011, 05:49 PM
i have a account that is hand racking. it suc#s and a lot time. but it full time account and i get a lot work from them.

i had an account like that had him for 3-4 years well my business was growing and he would call the day he wanted it done and i couldnt do it when he wanted cause i already had jobs lined up he got mad and fired me alwell hated that account anyway lol had to use his equipment and do everything by hand besides mowing and that was with a 21" honda i dont miss that account and he always complained about his bill hope yours is better lol he still waves to me so he cant be to mad lmao

JFGauvreau
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM
If he says it's healthier for the lawn, I would answer him in a polite way" Well it seems you know more about turf than I do, I guess you don't need my help, you would be better off doing it on your own, rather than hiring us "professional".

Seriously, like mentioned on a previous post, you don't want to do business for people that tell you how to do your job.

stan the man
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
i had an account like that had him for 3-4 years well my business was growing and he would call the day he wanted it done and i couldnt do it when he wanted cause i already had jobs lined up he got mad and fired me alwell hated that account anyway lol had to use his equipment and do everything by hand besides mowing and that was with a 21" honda i dont miss that account and he always complained about his bill hope yours is better lol he still waves to me so he cant be to mad lmao

not he doesnt complain. just this year billed him 50.00 per man hours.all the another 35.00 hour. just got his check today for him. he said it was great job. see you the next mowing day. fall clean ups he has a ton of leaves. i do it with my mowers. it just spring he wants it done by racking. anyone that going to tell me what day to do it. they can get lost. i do my clean ups on my days i want to. i had one that call me two weeks before Easter. she wanted it done for Easter if i can do it. with all the rain we having. i got it done the Monday before Easter. she give me 100.00 tip

nepatsfan
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
You can tell him 2 things;

-The only rake you'll be using is the one to rake in all the extra cash he will be paying if you can't use blowers.

-The other rake will be the one you use to rake his A$$ over the coals if he tells you how to do the work once you already start it. :laugh:

Best answer right here:laugh:

Earth_Effects
05-03-2011, 11:15 PM
A rake does more damage to a newly seeded lawn than a blower. The end.

abraham
05-13-2011, 01:48 AM
i had a lady try to tell me how to cut her lawn.i asked her if she had any laundry to attend to,and besides woman should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen cooking dinner for her man/family.thats right i said it,we all have our place in life.

abraham
05-13-2011, 01:56 AM
time to grow some.i used to let customers push me around,and always got screwed in regard to money and time.your the boss your the expert your the one they called secretly deep down most people want to be told what to do and they respect strength and firmness.its better to turn down lousy customers,because in the end they just beat you up.your not a punching bag you deserve respect. act that way and people will treat and pay you accordingly

Think Green
05-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Since I am in the Southern region and our lawns are Bermuda and Zoysia, customers are in the thought process that hand raking not only gets all the small debris it gets out the thatch in two or three hand swoops. This does cause severe damage to newly seedlings. Using a blower only gets the leaves out and not any small twigs and other problematic debris. I don't make my guys hand rake a lawn unless the customer is willing to pay per man hour and haul off for each load of bulk material. The other killer is our leaves cannot be riddled with sticks,etc. it will need to be separated per the city sanitation and disposal authorities. The customer wants it done, then do it but charge them accordingly. In my case, we end up using blowers, equipment and minimal spot raking afterwards.
Stick to your guns and make some money.

denis35
05-16-2011, 01:36 AM
I have a customer that has four wooded acres, one quarter acre maintained, including house, lawn, and mulch beds. He wants his lawn hand raked, I charge 300 dollars for yard clean up. Ill rake all year for that kind of money. If they will pay, go for it. Just explain about ripping the new grass out with the rake, if they insist, so be it..
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Why some people are above making money.......I have no idea.

I guess it's better to "stick to your guns" than it is to make customers happy?....especially since they're gonna pay you when they're happy.

Nah.....too easy. You'll feel better telling them you know your ****......and you'll do it your way. 'Course......your way won't make you a dime.

GMLC
05-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Tell him its by the hour with a rake or with a blower. Its his choice if he wants to pay all those extra hours to rake it....

Hoy landscaping
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
i would tell him 60 bucks per man hour. and it will take a few days. or i can blow it out in a few hours. your choice

peahlybros.
05-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I did the job about a week ago.... Told the customer I did not recommend using rakes and that it would cost more. He thanked me for the honesty and was very pleased when we finished. He thought rakes would be better but trusted our professional opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect Image TLM
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Glad to hear it worked out!

woodall1
05-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I ran into this a few years ago. I did the job and charged him the regular $65 for my crew to rake his entire yard. He had roughly $350 in a job that would have normally cost him $75 or so.

Big Bad Bob
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Yea I know.... I swear some people just have no clue.... the grass is pretty much toast at this point... between the shade and lack of maintenance. :hammerhead:

And I was thinking the same thing that rakes would do more damage than good. And we are starting to fall behind with cleanups as it is... But at this point if he wants to pay $45/hr I'll use what ever he wants hahaha... When I talk with him I will explain how the rakes are not recommended and go from there.

thanks again

Where are you guys getting $45.00 per hour? If I do it my way it's $75.00 per man hour. Using a rake would be $100.00 per man hour. Let some other schlupp do this one. Well, that is unless you are starving for work. Then do it for the $100.00 per man hour.
Actually, I never tell the customer the per man hour rate. I already know, approximately how long any job will take and give them an estimate based on that. Notice I said "estimate".
I am too busy to be screwing around with a rake.

Big Bad Bob
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I did the job about a week ago.... Told the customer I did not recommend using rakes and that it would cost more. He thanked me for the honesty and was very pleased when we finished. He thought rakes would be better but trusted our professional opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad to hear you were able to sell him on the right method. Good selling job.