PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Timber Walkway

pjnlandscape
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Hey Guys I am pricing out my first walkway for a customer. This walkway will be approximately 40 feet long and I will be using landscape timbers to create essentially a long staircase up a relatively gentle grade change. I plan on using Techo Bloc to fill in the landscape timber boxes that will become the "steps" of this walkway. I have never priced a job like this before so I was wondering what everyone thinks is reasonable and what aspects need to be brought into consideration when doing this. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

wurkn with amish
05-03-2011, 09:22 AM
you should probably pay them to let you do the job......

Bru75
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't use wood.
If you or your customer are dead set on using wood, steer clear of the timbers and use treated 6 x 6's.
Also, you might look at something less costly than Techo for this.
Any paver you use will outlast the wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't use wood.
If you or your customer are dead set on using wood, steer clear of the timbers and use treated 6 x 6's.
Also, you might look at something less costly than Techo for this.
Any paver you use will outlast the wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure what you consider a timber but around here they are treated 6x8"s and last 25 years easily. I still would not recommend using them though.

Bru75
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Not sure what you consider a timber but around here they are treated 6x8"s and last 25 years easily. I still would not recommend using them though.

I consider landsape timbers to be the crappy 4 x 4 things with rounded sides that I remove from my customer's yards before starting a project.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I consider landsape timbers to be the crappy 4 x 4 things with rounded sides that I remove from my customer's yards before starting a project.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah the Home Depot ones lol. The suppliers around hear sell rough cut treated 6x8''s and they are also called landscape timbers.

pjnlandscape
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Okay regardless of what a "Landscape Timber" is around all of you around here they are a treated 4x4 that is made for retaining walls and such. My customer is dead set on using them to match prior walls in his yard and to make a more natural appearance. He is not concerned about longevity necessarily he is an older man so this will outlive him he just wants a walkway to get up a hill to his car in the winter without having to shovel snow off of grass and slipping in ice. I could use something cheaper than techo but I am looking for ideas of man hours this will take etc... so I can give an approximate quote. he is willing to pay decent money but he is no millionaire either.

zedosix
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I think in order for us to even begin to help you or suggest to you something, we would like to see some pictures of the site in question. If not you'll just get more of the same answers.

Murphy's Law
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM
You can price it low since you will be rebuilding it in a few years. Not even joking, I just replaced that EXACT setup that was built 5 years earlier. It turned into a major trip hazard for this condo association.

I'm dead serious when I suggest you find a different material than pressure treated 4x4's for this project. If your looking to do more work this man's friends and family or anyone who come's to that house you should seriously reconsider.

PaperCutter
05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
A few years back I did a big set of steps for a condo complex out of 6x6 timbers with poured concrete pads veneered with flagstone for the landings. Worked great, and that was with about 30' in elevation change. I wouldn't even consider 4x4s though.