PDA

View Full Version : Edger question

jelgan
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I see in town where the sidewalks are edged and there is a "groove" about 1" deep and 1" wide. All the edging I see is where it was by a edger with just a narrow cut--basically like a saw blade had edged it. What do you use to get the wider edge?

mowslot54
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
when i got an edger from my uncle, he gave me some edger blades that are bent at each end to provide the wider edge. imo, the are not as clean but do a good job overall. will try and find where he got them.

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
why would you want the wider edge? I've spent plenty of time on some of my customer's property trying to fix the inch to two inch wide trench previous companies or home owner's left.

I can't speak for everyone, and I know someone will completely disagree (that's what makes the world go around though), but I think the wider edge leaves it looking like it was done by an amateur who didn't know how to keep a straight line right down the edge of the turf.

Big Jake
05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I just bought some edger blades made by oregon (cant remember the name) thay have flairs on the blade. Does a fantastic job, I love the way they edge. It leaves about a 1/2 inch grove (which I like) and I dont spend nearly as much time going back over it to get the "leftovers". To me, less time working is always better.

The inventor of these blades is a member on this site and has a thread up somewhere.

Runner
05-03-2011, 01:09 PM
The idea of an edge is not the edge itself, but to have a nice clean cut turf line. If it is opened up wide, it is going to get shaggy just as fast, it will just be over the wide edge, and not over the hard surface. Another thing to keep in min d about wider edges, is that inevitably, it will fill in with weeds. What I love is the fact that it is just wide enough for someone to twist an ankle on...Yeah,..THAT's a good idea. Everyone has their own view though, I guess.

lawnkingforever
05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
why would you want the wider edge? I've spent plenty of time on some of my customer's property trying to fix the inch to two inch wide trench previous companies or home owner's left.

I can't speak for everyone, and I know someone will completely disagree (that's what makes the world go around though), but I think the wider edge leaves it looking like it was done by an amateur who didn't know how to keep a straight line right down the edge of the turf.

I agree. A wider edge is not going to improve anything. The standard width of the blade on my Echo is .090". They do make a premium blade that is .181". My edges look as crisp and clean as anyone's.

rob640
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Hmmmm.. i kind of prefer a slighly larger edge not huge just a small gap.. i've noticed slighly twisting the edger (i use a stick edger) almost at an angle like this \ if that makes sence helps get a larger gap

mdlwn1
05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
"What do you use"....an idiot. sorry...had to.

georgiagrass
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't know why you would want a wider edging trench. I don't think it looks good, and why would you want to kick up all that dirt?

mdlwn1
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know why you would want a wider edging trench. I don't think it looks good, and why would you want to kick up all that dirt?

Because that way you have a perfect germination bed for a nice tuft of crabgrass.

jelgan
05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I wasn't planning on using this type of edge---I had just noticed it being done at a hospital and wondered with kind of edger they used.

Runner
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Probably just a regular edger or stick edger turned a bit at an angle.