PDA

View Full Version : Fall clean ups

32vld
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
How well do lawn vacuums work for cleaning up properties?

Has any one used the John Deere vacuum?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/category/GC_CLEAN_SOL.html

Oakleaf landscape
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I think they just recently released that equipment as it is still classified under there new equipment title. Probably not many people have it...

f50lvr2
05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
No experience with the John Deere units, but, I've got two of the billygoat machines. An earlier model with the discharge opening at the bottom and a newer top fill machine.

They have positives and negatives. The positives are that they do a pretty good cleanup job. They really suck up most of the debris even down onto the surface of the yard. I use mine mainly for cleaning up after dethatching or cleaning up a parking lot.

The negative is that they fill up really fast. On a normal dethatching application I literally have to empty the bag after every pass (maybe 70 linear feet). It's annoying mainly because it's time consuming and you have to turn the whole machine off every time then pull start it after emptying.

In my experience they do a better job than mulching or a traditional bagging setup although they're not a quick. I've heard that a walker style mower does a pretty good job in similar applications, but then you're talking $13-$14k instead of $1.5k.