PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Lawn Beast
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I have about 35 accts some are fairly big and looking to go from 21"s to a good walk behind 48" or so. Hydro or belt? Floating or Fixed? Pros and cons of each? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Lawn Beast
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
and any ideas on good mower to start out with

biodale
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a 36" belt driven walk behind. It works fine. However, if doing it again I would get a hydro. I also have a 60" zero turn. It is very agile and I can use it on small lawns as well as larger properties. Need a 38" to get through gates.

BestImpressions99
05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
The forum is full of the age old issue of what walk behind to get.

I did the same thing you did and somebody told me the best advice ever. Demo it. Demo any idea of a unit you have in mind.

Belts are coming back into style... but man the expense isn't worth it. We picked up a Toro Grandstand (48" 24hp Kawi) for only $500 more than the same size deck walk behind (pull start, smaller engine... frame seemed flimsy).

Hydro drive and floating deck and you won't be disappointed. But as I said above: DEMO DEMO DEMO

McG_Landscaping
05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a 48'' snapper hydro and I absolutely love it. I am looking for another hydro right now. The only regret I have is that it is not the floating deck. Some of my customers want different heights and I can not really do it with the fixed deck. I am 230 lbs and it has no problem pulling me around on my sulky with a loaded grass gobbler. Also it will climb almost any hill I want it to. I use it on properties that are only 1/4 acre up to my largest ones which are right around an acre. I feel as though it is the perfect size. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money on the hydro. I hope this helps!

watatrp
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I remember back when I went from pushmowers to walk behinds. My first walk behind was a belt drive. It was a very good move and I was able to grow because of it. The only drawback that I found with a belt drive was mowing in wet conditions. My belts had a tendency to slip when wet whether it be from wet ground or wet weather. Finishing up a property in the rain and then trying to get it back on the trailer was a problem a few times. Overall, belt drive is good. Hydros are better.

orlawncaresvc
05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I have about 35 accts some are fairly big and looking to go from 21"s to a good walk behind 48" or so. Hydro or belt? Floating or Fixed? Pros and cons of each? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Don't stay with a walkbehind. Get yourself a rider. 34 through a 48. You won't be dissapointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravyTrain
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I've run a 48" TTHP (which is hydro), and I can't imagine ever owning anything different. When I replace this, probably in the next year or so, I'll be looking for another 48" hydro without every looking back. I've had a handful of gates that I can't get through with the 48", and I've simply priced them high enough that I would make my money using a 21". I either lose the account or make my money, either way, the 48" has always been good to me. And also, the floating is an absolute must in my book.

chuacro
05-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I was finally able to get rid of my belt drive. I now have all duall hydro. Life is better.

vinny_a
05-04-2011, 01:05 AM
I dont know about floating vs fixed decks because I've only ever used fixed decks, but I can tell you that after owning both a belt and hydro mower I will never buy a belt again, hydro all the way. The hydro system is so much better than a belt drive for so many reasons and even though it costs more it is worth every penny and then some.

Hell on Blades
05-04-2011, 03:27 AM
If you're still using 21's because you have a lot of gated yards, look at a 36 or a 44 (toro) before a 48. the 48 typically will just barely squeeze thru a 48" gate.

I agree with some earlier. Go hydro and floating deck.

DEMO DEMO DEMO

jgann
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
what did you do to get 35 accounts?