View Full Version : Advice Please

Lawn Beast
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I have about 35 accts some are fairly big and looking to go from 21"s to a good walk behind 48" or so. Hydro or belt? Floating or Fixed? Pros and cons of each? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Lawn Beast
05-03-2011, 11:11 AM
and any ideas on good mower to start out with

05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a 36" belt driven walk behind. It works fine. However, if doing it again I would get a hydro. I also have a 60" zero turn. It is very agile and I can use it on small lawns as well as larger properties. Need a 38" to get through gates.

05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
The forum is full of the age old issue of what walk behind to get.

I did the same thing you did and somebody told me the best advice ever. Demo it. Demo any idea of a unit you have in mind.

Belts are coming back into style... but man the expense isn't worth it. We picked up a Toro Grandstand (48" 24hp Kawi) for only $500 more than the same size deck walk behind (pull start, smaller engine... frame seemed flimsy).

Hydro drive and floating deck and you won't be disappointed. But as I said above: DEMO DEMO DEMO

05-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a 48'' snapper hydro and I absolutely love it. I am looking for another hydro right now. The only regret I have is that it is not the floating deck. Some of my customers want different heights and I can not really do it with the fixed deck. I am 230 lbs and it has no problem pulling me around on my sulky with a loaded grass gobbler. Also it will climb almost any hill I want it to. I use it on properties that are only 1/4 acre up to my largest ones which are right around an acre. I feel as though it is the perfect size. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money on the hydro. I hope this helps!

05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I remember back when I went from pushmowers to walk behinds. My first walk behind was a belt drive. It was a very good move and I was able to grow because of it. The only drawback that I found with a belt drive was mowing in wet conditions. My belts had a tendency to slip when wet whether it be from wet ground or wet weather. Finishing up a property in the rain and then trying to get it back on the trailer was a problem a few times. Overall, belt drive is good. Hydros are better.

05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I have about 35 accts some are fairly big and looking to go from 21"s to a good walk behind 48" or so. Hydro or belt? Floating or Fixed? Pros and cons of each? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Don't stay with a walkbehind. Get yourself a rider. 34 through a 48. You won't be dissapointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I've run a 48" TTHP (which is hydro), and I can't imagine ever owning anything different. When I replace this, probably in the next year or so, I'll be looking for another 48" hydro without every looking back. I've had a handful of gates that I can't get through with the 48", and I've simply priced them high enough that I would make my money using a 21". I either lose the account or make my money, either way, the 48" has always been good to me. And also, the floating is an absolute must in my book.

05-04-2011, 01:51 AM
I was finally able to get rid of my belt drive. I now have all duall hydro. Life is better.

05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I dont know about floating vs fixed decks because I've only ever used fixed decks, but I can tell you that after owning both a belt and hydro mower I will never buy a belt again, hydro all the way. The hydro system is so much better than a belt drive for so many reasons and even though it costs more it is worth every penny and then some.

Hell on Blades
05-04-2011, 04:27 AM
If you're still using 21's because you have a lot of gated yards, look at a 36 or a 44 (toro) before a 48. the 48 typically will just barely squeeze thru a 48" gate.

I agree with some earlier. Go hydro and floating deck.

05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
what did you do to get 35 accounts?