PDA

View Full Version : Help with retaining wall, paver issue

ohiogreenworks
05-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I am a hardscape newbie but willing to learn and eager to add it to our list of services. I can figure out the pricing, just looking for some input and ideas of what to do with this situation. Customer wanted just the pavers leveled. I suggested at least a drain behind the wall and pavers fixed, if not the whole wall re-done. Would like to re-use the blocks and pavers. What kind of fill around the drain? Perforated black pipe with a sock the preferred choice? Any advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x379/ohiogreenworks/DSCF1028.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x379/ohiogreenworks/DSCF1026.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x379/ohiogreenworks/DSCF1024.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x379/ohiogreenworks/DSCF1027.jpg

zedosix
05-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Why is it up so high, can it not be brought down to ground level to avoid the wall. I imagine that the wall only goes part way around the pool so thats why there is a wall... correct?

TomG
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
If this was my job, I would re-do the wall. The wall is already leaning and will probably eventually fall, especially with the load of the pool above it. But I would move it out 3' or so from where it is now. I'm guessing this wall has no stone behind it...There is no way to take the wall down and excavate back so you can put stone in behind it without the fill collapsing out from under the pool. You can reuse the block and brick, just move the wall out 2'-3'ft. If the customer insists on just redoing the brick, I would walk away, your just asking for a bunch of call backs because the wall will probably keep moving and leaning out, thus the pavers will keep settling.

DVS Hardscaper
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
remove the pool and be done with it.

it'll cost more to do the pavers and block correctly than the pool is worth.

Dr.NewEarth
05-03-2011, 11:58 PM
should he take down a couple of courses, get some geo grid in there and
build the wall back up?

ohiogreenworks
05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Why is it up so high, can it not be brought down to ground level to avoid the wall. I imagine that the wall only goes part way around the pool so thats why there is a wall... correct?

Yeah, there is a decent hill that the pool is on and the back half or so has the wall around it. I think the wall needs to be there to support the ground that is supporting the pool. But it does need some help.

If this was my job, I would re-do the wall. The wall is already leaning and will probably eventually fall, especially with the load of the pool above it. But I would move it out 3' or so from where it is now. I'm guessing this wall has no stone behind it...There is no way to take the wall down and excavate back so you can put stone in behind it without the fill collapsing out from under the pool. You can reuse the block and brick, just move the wall out 2'-3'ft. If the customer insists on just redoing the brick, I would walk away, your just asking for a bunch of call backs because the wall will probably keep moving and leaning out, thus the pavers will keep settling.

Thank you, that is pretty much my idea so far. I want to break it down for him to show him that for the extra price of fixing the wall it would be worth it. He did it himself and knows it wasn't right, now I guess it depends on what it's worth to him to do it right.

remove the pool and be done with it.

it'll cost more to do the pavers and block correctly than the pool is worth.

Possibly a good idea, but I don't think his wife and kids would be very happy...:laugh:

should he take down a couple of courses, get some geo grid in there and
build the wall back up?

That might work, but I think the problem is that the wall is too close to the pool to begin with. I think it needs a fresh start with a fresh base a couple feet out and then built back up with proper backfill and drainage.

shovelracer
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I dont even know where to start. The entire thing is wrong. What boggles my mind is that someone sprung for clay pavers, but bought the smallest wall stone ever made. Forget the repair, just take off the first 2 rows,the pavers, and create a slope or build a second wall. Fill the top with river stones. My opinion is biased though. I think that above ground pools are dangerous, ugly, reduce my property value, and should be outright illegal.

DVS Hardscaper
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I dont even know where to start. The entire thing is wrong. What boggles my mind is that someone sprung for clay pavers, but bought the smallest wall stone ever made. Forget the repair, just take off the first 2 rows,the pavers, and create a slope or build a second wall. Fill the top with river stones. My opinion is biased though. I think that above ground pools are dangerous, ugly, reduce my property value, and should be outright illegal.

Pools are a waste of money and maintenance nightmares.

Just like fishtanks. They require maintenance.

People don't even change their furnace filters.

A few months ago I priced $30k of work for around a vinyl pool. We could have ripped it out and been done with it for $7k. The people could have refurnished the inside of their home with the left over money.

Just like a wedding. $5-20k for a ring. And *over* $50k for a dress and reception. Waste.

Dr.NewEarth
05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
So, I presume the pool will be drained while the wall is rebuilt a couple feet farther out?

If it isn't, can you take movies of it crashing down please?

zedosix
05-04-2011, 11:06 PM
So, I presume the pool will be drained while the wall is rebuilt a couple feet farther out?

If it isn't, can you take movies of it crashing down please?

ding, ding, ding, you win the "make me laugh line" of the evening.

shovelracer
05-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Just like a wedding. $5-20k for a ring. And *over* $50k for a dress and reception. Waste.

Are you married? I bet your wife has a different opinion. Mine was about 50k soup to nuts, and I barely remember it. My wife still refers to it all these years later as such a magical day, and can recall any little detail. I wanted a BBQ backyard wedding, I lost that battle.

Dr.NewEarth
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Some-times the obvious is overlooked. Not saying by the o.p., but perhaps by a future
reader of the post.

We had a guy in North Vancouver who built a very large and illegal outdoor fishpond.
in his backyard. He was in a development that was built on a cliffside.

Below were some beautiful properties with large coniferous forest landscapes.
His yard was fill. The fill gave way and created a major landslide that took out a couple houses below and killed a lady.

Just saying, do you Due Dilligence. Ding Ding Ding