PDA

View Full Version : mower life

grassmasterswilson
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
How many hours do you put on your zero turns and walkers before you trade them in? Trying to get my per hour cost figured out and I'm thinking about 5 years or 1000-1500 hours on each before you would rather trade in for a new one to keep repair down time down.

Help me out.

rcslawncare
05-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Most go out to 2k in hours, I expect mine to last a long time as it is not a crew machine and beat on. Im accounting for 2k with mine though to answer you question. This is based on a commercial mower, a homeowner would be a fraction of that.

MOturkey
05-04-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm trading in a 2009 with 800 hours this week, because the warranty is up in a couple of weeks. There are many different ways to look at things, but, for me, keeping them covered under warranty makes sense because I am not a mechanic and have no desire to do anything much more involved than changing the oil or air filter.

The depreciation on this machine will run me about $6.50 per hour. Sure, keeping a machine longer term will probably decrease the depreciation per hour, but one also has to consider that the more hours of service, the greater the probability of a breakdown, and major component failure, which translates to major expenses.

Efficiency
05-04-2011, 02:28 AM
my lazer with the most hours had a new (gas) engine and pumps put in at ~2200 hrs, we are closing in on another 1000 hrs on the rebuild. I wont retire this crew used machine until it has at least 4000 total hours - and then at that point it will be backup sitting in the barn.

Richard Martin
05-04-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm planning on running my Dixie on out to at least 4,000 hours. Except for a throttle cable, a muffler ,a low oil horn and belts, blades, filters and oil, it's been trouble free to almost 1,400 hours now.