PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleanup Efficiency

McFarland_Lawn_Care
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Okay, I am writing this thread to try to get some insight on the BEST way to do spring cleanups. I am mostly interested hearing from people in the northeast area who deal with similar cleanup situations. So basically when we show up on a property there are three issues - leaves, sticks and sand. In the spring we aren't dealing with a LOT of leaves, but still plenty to contend with that plow into flower beds and lower areas of the lawn. The sticks are a PAIN - the tiny ones will mulch up but the larger ones usually have to get raked or picked up by hand which is VERY time consuming not to mention takes up a lot of room in the truckbed. And last there is all this sand to deal with left from the snowplows from winter. How do you deal with all the debris and how do you hand it? We've been blowing all the leaves onto the lawn and then sucking them up with a bagging mower. We've been raking or picking up all the sticks by hand - these are sticks that have fallen off large maple or oak trees in the yard over the winter. Then putting all the leaves and sticks into the truck bed. Then powersweeping the sand into piles and shoveling that into the truck bed too. This takes a LONG time and also means we have dump after almost every property (most of my properties avg 3/4 acre). Now, what is the quickest and most efficient way to clean places up. If it means getting more equipment that is fine....would a debris loader help at all? but then I wouldn't have anywhere to put the sticks and sand if the loader was hooked up. I need to speed things up - any suggestions are welcomed! Thank you.

Jason

Smallaxe
05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
It is frustrating trying to do this "Efficiantly"... It is best to charge time for the one time shots... Spring is typically a several week proces to pevent dead grass... This year has been a several month process to save the grass... Each situation is different... :)

nobagger
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Its just a PITA 99% of the time in the Northern region. Sticks? LOL we filled up 12- 55 gallon Bruit container's at one new property we did. This lawn had sticks sticking out like they were arrows shot into the ground, it kind of looked like a 17th century battlefield. The way our seasons are is why we charge per man hour for spring and fall clean ups. I just tell them, "I have an idea how long this will take but I can't give you a to the penny quote". We let them know we have state of the art equipment that will make this job as efficient as possible. I think a debris loader is most useful in fall, if your only loading a few barrels of leaves then just load them. Sticks can be sucked up but you run the risk of clogging up the hose then taking a while to clear the hose. Spring and fall clean ups are what they are, time consuming, tedious, detailed work and just takes time to do them right.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Okay, thanks guys. Nobagger - so you put debris in trash buckets and then load them in the truck?

nobagger
05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Okay, thanks guys. Nobagger - so you put debris in trash buckets and then load them in the truck?

Generally our spring clean ups, the customer's who we've worked for, for years and do their fall clean ups aren't too bad in the spring. That particular property was on a lake and towering trees are abundant with sticks everywhere! The only way to get all of them was to pick them by had and put into barrels then dump into the truck that was parked at the end most part of the driveway, which was still a 40 yard walk. The smaller twigs and branches were raked or blown into piles and yes, again, loaded into barrels. This is one of our larger properties we have. The "typical" property we do are usually 1/4 to 1/2 acre, those are just blown with back packs and or wheel blower's from the rear to the front then loaded by tarp, barrel, or any other means. We only use our leaf loader in the fall. I say a debris loader (leaf loader) is not as efficient in the spring is because there usually isn't that many leaves and more sticks which I think can be loaded faster by barrel or tarp.

Smallaxe
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
If they didn't do a Fall cleanup , once or twice, the grass is dead or stessed... Is the solution powerraking and Pre-m...?

Give me a break... Teach the client... I really mean... Teach the client... How grass grows...

Spending the winter under leaves and snow, then ripping at the living material with a power rake and dumping on a ROOT INHIBITOR at the beginning of Spring, is not what the client needs to learn about lawncare...

The healthy grass has a long term life and the stupid ideas about making everything good in the springtime with our great mechanisms, is just gimmickery...

Does anyone know what makes grass grow???