PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Gas? Pump on property?

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey i was just wondering how many of you guys are out Buying gas in bulk.
i go when the guys fill up in the morning...We take up 10 Pumps at a time! We there every morning at the same time and get dirty looks from all of the other customers lol but,
Gas is getting expensive!!!!!!!!

Anyone buy gas in bulk and filling up 1000 gallon tanks before it hits 5 bucks a gallon????

I was thinking about doing this at my shop since its zoned and i could do most of the digging work and stuff....

I just dont know how much of a hassle that would be though.

weeze
05-04-2011, 12:03 AM
nah...gas with ethanol doesn't last very long before it starts to go bad...you would have to use 1000 gallons in less than a month for it to be worth it...i only use about 100-150 gallons a month

topsites
05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Maybe try mygallons.com

cpllawncare
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
nah...gas with ethanol doesn't last very long before it starts to go bad...you would have to use 1000 gallons in less than a month for it to be worth it...i only use about 100-150 gallons a month

I hate that ethanol crap!!!!!!!

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-04-2011, 12:17 AM

I hate that ethanol crap!!!!!!!

Doesnt all gas have SOME ethanol.......
I get my gas From either costco or Meijer When possible
Same gas Company/ Distributer. Usually 5-10 cents cheaper than the corner station.
Has a label on the pump that says it contains less than 10% ethanol

ecurbthims
05-04-2011, 01:04 AM
not sure about your local laws ,but gas stations have plenty of environmental regulations to follow ,it would probably be a nightmare for a smaller operator to deal with .There are tanks that sit above the ground ,the tanks sit in a concrete or metal bunker that has a containment system ,not sure if they are available to you ,but they can be rented or leased from some oil companies and will save you the inspection fees.There are also filling stations that you place on the ground ,drive your vehicles onto ,and they contain whatever leakage you might have ,but once again,not sure if they are available to you where you live .You would probably end up paying more for the fuel ,because you wont be buying enough to get any real discount on the fuel ,and you will be added a fuel delivery charge from the local distributer because they wont be bringing a set of b-trains to your shop to deliver only a few hundred gallons at a time ,and I have found that everytime you try dealing with a local distributer ,they wont give you a deal because your stepping on their dealers toes .I used to buy 900 litres of shell rotella oil a week ,retail price at the time was $2.04 per litre ,distributer price was $2.02 per litre plus delivery ,so I used the local kenworth truck dealerships national account and bought it for $1.21 per litre delivered by the same local distributer .I would of bought it from him but he was too stupid to deal with me and I was spending close to $4500.00 per month on just rotella oil.

C6H12O6
05-04-2011, 03:11 AM
A guy I know has an excavating business, bought gas in bulk and kept it in an above ground tank.

Long story short, some a**holes broke the lock off and stole a bunch of gas about a month ago.

Just something to keep in mind if you are considering this.

ghunter502
05-04-2011, 08:28 AM
We have our own bulk fuel. I have had great luck all you have to do legally is have a containment system around your tanks if they leak. We have a 500 gallon unleaded fuel tank and a 300 gallon off road diesel tank. I watch the fuel market like a hawk. I have fuel in my tank now that I paid $3.10 a gallon so I am saving $345 dollars on this barrel. Yes you do have to worry about theft. I have ours triple locked and also behind a locked gate so if they want to steal the fuel they are going to have to work for it. I think it is a great idea I have saved alot of money this way on fuel. We burn at least 250-300 of unleaded in our mowers alone a month so it is a huge savings for us. I would check you local regulations for storing fuel.

topsites
05-04-2011, 09:16 AM
There exist two other problems:

1. Getting the fuel to your location, 500 gallons ain't no joke, that tank will weigh well over a ton.
2. Do you really think fuel will always go up after you bought it?

I would think, when your tank starts to run low, you place the order.
Whether fuel costs $2.50 a gallon, or $5.

And you can play with it some, but remember that fuel goes stale in 3-6 months.

We burn at least 250-300 of unleaded in our mowers alone a month so it is a huge savings for us.

I suppose at those rates it is probably well worth the investment,
but I don't think it's worth it for the more casual landscaper, my mowers
just don't burn that kind of fuel, not even close.

ecurbthims
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
ghunter -do you have a containment system for your refueling area ,or how are you going to have to deal with the contaminated ground [assuming you dont have one ] if you ever sell your property ?

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah im pricing it out Now. The pump would be electric so I would just set it up to where its on a wireless switch...Just click it on and the pump comes on also its behind the fence. But Next what i would have to worry about it the guys using the gas in their personal trucks/cars........I Think 500 Gallons would be good for me between 7 trucks and 12 mowers. Not including the handhelds.... It would have to get filled up ALOT in the winter though. But i guess i could always add a separate tanks

And i hear when you move you either tell the next owner about it... and since its already up to code you can leave it or just dig it up and sell it!

ghunter502
05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
There exist two other problems:

1. Getting the fuel to your location, 500 gallons ain't no joke, that tank will weigh well over a ton.
2. Do you really think fuel will always go up after you bought it?

I would think, when your tank starts to run low, you place the order.
Whether fuel costs $2.50 a gallon, or $5.

And you can play with it some, but remember that fuel goes stale in 3-6 months.

I suppose at those rates it is probably well worth the investment,
but I don't think it's worth it for the more casual landscaper, my mowers
just don't burn that kind of fuel, not even close. Been doing this for the last 5 years works out great for us.

ghunter502
05-04-2011, 09:41 PM
ghunter -do you have a containment system for your refueling area ,or how are you going to have to deal with the contaminated ground [assuming you dont have one ] if you ever sell your property ?

you know what happens when you assume. Yes we do have one!

Imow4u2
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a 10x16 concrete pad which sits a 550 gal. hi-way diesel 300 gallon no lead gas and my 500 gallon l.p. tank.. The law here is no containment required under 1100 gallons of storage.. Im not saving alot on the fuel, maybe a dime/gallon, but I never wait in line and no BS with help in the restroom for 15 min.. Yeah I know 550 and 500 and 300 are 1350 gal. Well if you know what l.p. gas is.... it really doesnt pool up when u have a breach.

My set-up is in an alley behind the shop, with a key switch.. The above stated facts are true about ethanol, it draws moisture and doesnt store well..

As for hauling fuel yourself? Well usually you go through a local jobber if you're buying bulk fuel.. They have trucks one less thing to f!ck with..

tjjn06
05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Try your local coop. Most of them will rent you the tank for free, maintain it, and fill it when you need it done. Also if your buying off road fuel (should for the mowers), it is usually much cheaper.

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Try your local coop. Most of them will rent you the tank for free, maintain it, and fill it when you need it done. Also if your buying off road fuel (should for the mowers), it is usually much cheaper.

This might be a stupid question but what is the difference from regular and off road gas/ diesel???

Also we are in the process of Pricing this whole thing out. As you said above This company i spoke to today will drop a tank off, maintain it, and fill if for a low one time price as long as they are filling the gas. :)

tjjn06
05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www-cta.ornl.gov/cta/Publications/Reports/ORNL_TM_1999_100.pdf

Off road gasoline (I don't think) is any different. I believe it has more to do with road/state taxes than anything. Which in turn usually makes it much, much cheaper. :cool2:

jherety
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Around here (KY) off-road fuel has a nice red color...or it did the last time I bought any.. It also comes with heavy fines if you're caught with it in your vehicle on federal/state/county roads.

On an interesting side note, saw a news article where the Feds are considering getting away from a fuel tax and implementing taxation based upon the number of miles you drive. With fuel efficiency increasing (and to some extent, electric cars) revenue from fuel tax is down compared to what it has been in the past. Got to make up the money somehow.

Wes
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Been doing this for the last 5 years works out great for us.

Right, and you predicted the stock market crash so you didn't buy any gasoline until it was well below $2, too.