PDA

View Full Version : just got back from bama.. am i a hero??

alexschultz1
05-04-2011, 12:57 AM
i spent 5 days in alabama cutting down trees from homes and helping people recover what they had lost. i didnt pull any one from homes and i didnt find any missing people, but i did drop everything and give up 5 days of VERY hard labor to help these people. now i am looked at in my home town as a hero.its cool as hell honestly, but i feel like it wasnt a huge deal like everyone is making it. tell me im crazy but i dont feel like a hero.

ashgrove landscaping
05-04-2011, 01:07 AM
You helped out as much as you could. Good for you. It's a choice. Not heroism.

MOturkey
05-04-2011, 01:10 AM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

KINGMADE
05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Hero may be a little strong of a word, but I am sure everyone appreciates the hell out of your help though. Jumping into freezing water to save a kid from drowning is hero kind of stuff. Cutting down trees is lending a helping hand.

Hell on Blades
05-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Take it all in stride. I don't think hero is the best word, but be proud that you've put yourself in a position to be able to help.

topsites
05-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Maybe you're just a storm chaser?

Monster Lawn Care
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I live in Pinson, AL (15 miles North of Bham). We were very lucky, but I really appreciate you stepping in and helping out. I know saying thanks doesn't really do justice to what you did, but thanks.

topsites
05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Well...

I wanted to recant an earlier statement, I don't think you're a storm chaser in that sense
but maybe also not quite a hero, I don't know, but it's nice that you did help.

cpllawncare
05-04-2011, 03:04 PM
HERO? Not quite! The guys on seal team six, their's your hero's!!! It was admirable what you did though.

LawnGuy35
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
You did a good deed, and I'm certain you will be rewarded for it in some way in the future. But to call you a hero is a bit of a stretch. It didn't require much, if any, courage to go down there after the fact...and you didn't put your life on the line to save another. That doesn't mean you should feel any less prideful for helping out though. Good for you.

punt66
05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
if you did it for free i would call you a hero. If you did it for money i would call it a job.

weeze
05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
it's pretty cool how everyone here pulls together whenever something like this happens...i guess that's one good thing that comes from it....alot of people here help people cut trees off their houses for free and such...i'm sure some get paid too...but if you came from georgia to help then you should've been paid especially if it's your job...i guess it depends on the situation of where you are cutting a tree down and if the people have the money or not...i cut down several myself...i got paid though just like i normally would..i would like to help people out for free but this is my job so i have to make a living too lol...i may just give them a discounted price if anything

Fordsuvparts
05-05-2011, 12:40 AM
My self and a few friends are headed down Friday to volunteer. We are staying through Monday evening, headed to Argo Al, to help with cleanup in Cordova AL. We have collected 2 enclosed trailers of donated items. 6 of us are going to be cutting tree's and cleaning up so power companies can get power back on and to repair roofs and what ever else they want us to do. Really Looking forward to it.

Glad that you went and helped, good karma goes a long way.

madisonpressurewashing
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Spent two days picking up trash near Huntsville. The stories will break your heart.

alexschultz1
05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
My self and a few friends are headed down Friday to volunteer. We are staying through Monday evening, headed to Argo Al, to help with cleanup in Cordova AL. We have collected 2 enclosed trailers of donated items. 6 of us are going to be cutting tree's and cleaning up so power companies can get power back on and to repair roofs and what ever else they want us to do. Really Looking forward to it.

Glad that you went and helped, good karma goes a long way.

are you down there yet? i have 2 ws660 stihl chainsaws with 32" bars and a 4wheeler, ive been trying to find a group of people to go with.

JDiepstra
05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Well if you really do want opinions, no, youre not a hero, but I respect what you did.

Fordsuvparts
05-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Just got here tonight, I would love to have help, we have a tent setup and we are starting tommorow at 7:30
We have a small group and could use some help.
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
05-06-2011, 11:59 PM
A good deed. A good samaritan if you do it with regularity.

alexschultz1
05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
is it still really bad still? ive been trying to get ahold of someone in pleasant grove to see if they still need help. concord was pretty bad too.

BrunoT
05-07-2011, 11:27 PM
That was a good deed. However, it might be more impressive if you didn't seem so interested in the "hero status" thing. You're either doing it to help or you're doing it for the credit.

Matthew 6:1 – "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. "

The bible doesn't really say much about posting in completely off-topic forums however. : )

kebo4coke
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I grew up in Ohatchee AL. The tornado missed my parents @200yds. Ive seen alot of heroes hepling everyone

D&F lawnmaster
05-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I think i would call you a hero. Those towns that lost everything they had. You gave them five days of hard work. These towns in mississippi and bama reminds me what katrina done to south miss. We had alot of good people to come down to help. Thats just what you did. I will call you a hero for helping these people in time of trouble.

geminibuddy
05-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Hero term is relevant- so yes you are. I was in Tuscaloosa 2 days afterward and we volunteered and took several bobcats in and I ran saws and was ground man. Even 2 days after the event, we were first private equipment into two neighborhoods (still had cadaver dogs working, etc.). Long and short of it, it is overwhelming. There is gonna be a lot of folks needing "heroes" for a long time- 5 years easy. Dont forget North Alabama- Hackleburg, Phil Campbell where nobody gets news coverage. I am from that area and it is bad- no monies or industries to prop up. Drs from my home town ran down there to help- closest hospital 25 mins- closest "real hospital" 45-50 mins. The kids were the one that would have bothered me- they told a story about a dad bringing 5 yr old boy in arms to doctor at triage station- i personally know the dr and have not verified this yet, but it was in the paper- the doctor tells him gently that he is dead- dad turns away with boy still in arms and comes back three times asking doctor to "please check again".

“I turned around to see a big green John Deere tractor with a front-end loader bucket attached,” Smith said. “It's got all kinds of comforters in it, and the driver tells me there's someone in there. It was our first (casualty), an 8-year-old boy still wearing his Phil Campbell Elementary School T-shirt.”

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110509/news/110509796

punt66
05-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Twin tower rescuers are heros. People who do extraordinary things are heros. Just going to work to get paid is not being a hero. People use that term way too much. By the way, a hero also doesnt go on the Internet and ask if they are a hero. Just saying. But it is a good dead.

nitrooverride
05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I live in Harvest, AL that got hit. We have had help from all over. My home was fine. Tornado was about 1 mile north and another hit about 1/2 mile south of my home. But i am amazed to see how everyone around has come together to help others that need it. We cant thank anyone enough who has helped.

alexschultz1
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM
i would do it 10 times over without question. i hope everyone you know is alright.

Maco Services
05-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Great job. I thank you for your help and encourage anyone that feel the need to pitch in to follow their initial feeling to give when and how they can. What seems miniscule contribution, can be a blessing and overwhelming to see people's generosity. Thank you again.

madisonpressurewashing
05-27-2011, 02:51 AM
I live in Harvest, AL that got hit. We have had help from all over. My home was fine. Tornado was about 1 mile north and another hit about 1/2 mile south of my home. But i am amazed to see how everyone around has come together to help others that need it. We cant thank anyone enough who has helped.

Small world. I helped clean up some homes in Harvest