PDA

View Full Version : Who has a diesel Walker?

forbidden
05-04-2011, 11:01 AM
We are looking at adding a second Walker mower to the business. I have zero experience with the diesel model but have found what appears to be a good deal on a used one. It is equipped with a 54" deck and GHS. It has a little under 500 hours on it and has had minor service work done. What are the pitfalls to the diesel powerplant?

gene gls
05-04-2011, 08:18 PM
We are looking at adding a second Walker mower to the business. I have zero experience with the diesel model but have found what appears to be a good deal on a used one. It is equipped with a 54" deck and GHS. It has a little under 500 hours on it and has had minor service work done. What are the pitfalls to the diesel powerplant?

I had a 1997 Walker diesel, GHS unit. It over heated very easy with my 62" SD deck in heavy grass. It started very hard in cold weather and no one could figure out why. Also, the rpm of my diesel was 3200 and the decks and my Buffalo Turbine blower would not perform as well as with my gas unit.

JDiepstra
05-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't have a diesel mower but diesel technology has come a long way since 1997. I imagine the only two downfalls these days would be that they are heavier and more expensive than a gas engine. However, they should last longer, are more efficient, and throw down more torque than a gas engine.

forbidden
05-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I have the room to haul it, weight is not an issue, knew of the extra torque being beneficial, have the contracts to put it to work. Now to consider the downfalls if we can find them. I have a line on a used one at 430 hours and I am going to have it inspected before pulling the trigger on it. Our gas Walker has been great, 2500 + hours original engine and minor repairs but it is still going strong. Anyone else with some info on the unit?

electric
09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I also run a diesel, love it 2009. Bought a digital tiny tac for (diesel) and adjusted max rpm from factory set 3400 max to as per owners manual and kubota recommend 3600rpm. Didn't make to big of a difference on performance. Just did the newest steering upgrade to it as per walker talk magazine. All new models come with steering dampeners like old mtl31 and mtl25 did. Also have speed up kit on it, adjusted steering as per instructions (not resting on internal stops of hydros) clocked it at 7.4 mph with hand held gps. The 3600rpm makes difference there when transporting.
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
09-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Thinking of taking the speed up kit off it though as it is a bit much when picking up grass it's easy to rip up lawn when hopper is full, to much speed taking off. Little over 5 mph is fine with me. Hard to beat the cut with the modifications I did to it...
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
i have a diesel with 600 hrs and i have yet to have a problem with it. lots of power

electric
09-27-2011, 09:27 PM
i have a diesel with 600 hrs and i have yet to have a problem with it. lots of power

Tuscan, What size deck or decks do you run and speed up kit? Also what oil do you use in it 15-40 Rottella? Be sure you the radiator every 200 hrs or every two years. My only complaint was I had a bad hydro at 8 hours (dealer replaced under warranty) Eaton really needs to beef up internals on hydros!
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Tuscan, What size deck or decks do you run and speed up kit? Also what oil do you use in it 15-40 Rottella? Be sure you the radiator every 200 hrs or every two years. My only complaint was I had a bad hydro at 8 hours (dealer replaced under warranty) Eaton really needs to beef up internals on hydros!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

52 inch deck, fast enough stock and yes one hydro went south
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
09-27-2011, 09:40 PM
52 inch deck, fast enough stock and yes one hydro went south
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow you also had a hydro go? What engine oil are you using? The 52" GHS decks stripe better but the 48" vaccumm better.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow you also had a hydro go? What engine oil are you using? The 52" GHS decks stripe better but the 48" vaccumm better.
Posted via Mobile Device

10-30 oil and do you mulch with the walker?
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
10-30 oil and do you mulch with the walker?
Posted via Mobile Device
No I do not use a mulch deck or use a blocker on ghs decks. I have two collection decks 52" and 48". Also a 56" side discharge. What year is your machine.
If new do you like the suspension seat?
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Mine is an 08, ther seat works well. Do you not find that collecting the grass causes it to thin out when it gets hot.
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
09-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Mine is an 08, ther seat works well. Do you not find that collecting the grass causes it to thin out when it gets hot.
Posted via Mobile Device

My climate belt is long island NY. If the lawn is overal treated properly, irrigation, chemicals and good sunlight then I would say the heat and collecting the clippings does not thin out the turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
The difference is we can't use chemicals so we are forced to be proactive on maintaining the lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
09-28-2011, 07:59 AM
The difference is we can't use chemicals so we are forced to be proactive on maintaining the lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's to bad on not being able to use chemicals. Makes a hudge difference! Are you allowed to use meloginite?
Posted via Mobile Device

tuscan
09-28-2011, 08:05 AM
No cheical is good. Whoever
can keep a lawn weed free
Has a huge advantage. People up here pay all the money to make their lawns weed free. If a licence is required to spray anything , its illegal.
Posted via Mobile Device

electric
01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
No cheical is good. Whoever
can keep a lawn weed free
Has a huge advantage. People up here pay all the money to make their lawns weed free. If a licence is required to spray anything , its illegal.
Posted via Mobile Device

All the problems they have been having with the new mtl31efi makes me happy I didn't get one in 2009 and went with the MDD instead! Its not as smooth or quiet as the mtl but with the new 2011 eaton pumps through dealer and steering upgrades we were able to get the same mph safely, hand held gps!
Posted via Mobile Device