PDA

View Full Version : New turf type fescue grass (water) HELP!

robert payer
10-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Following post applies to Northern Ohio:

Planted some Crossfire 2 - Petite turf fescue. The new grass has sprouted and has been up for about three weeks. Grass in areas is about two inches tall other areas are very short. Germination has been very full and consistent in the whole lawn. Some areas seem slower than others. Maybe these areas had less water. I feel that seed and starter fertilizer had excellent coverage. I have been watering each area for about 1/2 hour per day. I think that after some point fescue can be over watered. Usually it is not recomended to water these new fescues because they do not need it and can be damaged by to much water. I am asking where is that point when establishing a new fescue lawn? When do I stop watering? Any tips as far as Fescues would be appreciated. Thank You!

I know that many of you might not agree with the use of this seed in my area. It has come very highly recommended by two people that I respect. I believe in there thoughts that this is the seed of the future for our area.

turfquip
10-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Hello:

I use turf type tall fescue all the time, both in hydroseeding and seed and straw application. Lots of varieties out there, many 'proprietary' name brands (and blends). I like Finelawn 5GL.

Turf Type Tall fescue is THE cool season grass to be using 'cause most are hybrids and have the best growing and disease resistance characteristics 'built in'. Excellent drought resistance, growing habit, mowability....the list goes on and on.

When hydroseeding in the Northern Kentucky area I look for germination days 5 through 8 when customers follow watering instructions. Those include daily moistening of the seedbed; once a day is suffficient this time of year. Twice a day during hot and dryer summer months.

I've found it's actually OK for the pre-emerged seed to dry out for a couple of hours dusing the day between waterings, but should never be allowed to remain dry for 18 to 24 hours during this critical phase. Others may disagree with me on this.

Once the seed emerges fewer but deeper waterings are required. About an inch a week is sufficient. Too frequent watering makes 'thirsty' plants, dependent on their daily water fix.

Thin areas don't bother me too much and could be a result of uneven watering but as long as the grass is germinating everywhere you are good to go. The key is the next step...

I like to apply a high N fert around day 21 or so. Something like a 32-5-8 with 50% scu. I prefer to apply it at the 1/2 lb N/1000 rate. So, effectively your giving the new lawn a quick 1/4 lb of N as a shot in the arm with another 1/4 lb. soon available with irrigation. You'll be amazed at how well it thickens up :-)

Hope this helps,

Ed
www.turfquip.com

baddboygeorge
10-16-2002, 01:55 AM
common rule water heavy for the first 14 days after germination you must use starter fertilizer thats a must after that 14 days later flush full lawn !!