PDA

View Full Version : Sod Job a little high?

shostoppa
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Hello Guys, One of my cutting accounts (residental) asked for a quote to replace some grass. I will need to remove 450 sqft of patchy dead grass and he will give me $40.00 to pick it up the new sod.

I quoted $320.00 (including the $40 for pick up a 45min round trip.)
- rent a sod cutter $70
- remove old sod (I can dump it in his lot next door)
- Prep ground and replace with new sod (that he purchase seperatly)
- roll and fertilize

He said it was a little too high. Is it? It's my first sod job

Feedback is appreciated.

FLAhaulboy
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds a little on the low side. I would of charged at least $150 more, plus a penalty fee for whining :laugh:

Sodding is hard work & I charge top dollar. If your comfortable with your price, then stand firm. If there is some wiggle room on your quoted price, then lower the price but not much because since this is your first sodding job, you'll be finding out first hand how tough this work is. The sod cutter will save you a lot of that hard work, vs tilling/raking out debris.

In the future, instead of quoting one price, quote an hourly rate+hauling away debris+picking up needed equipment, that way, you won't screw yourself out of any loss income should you misquote what you'll do the job for.

knox gsl
05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
I agree that's alot of work, I would consider doing the job for that price per square foot if it were over 5000 feet, but these smaller jobs should cost more per foot on average. BTW the best way I have found to deal with customers and my price is to give a price and if they want it lowered or cant afford it then I will remove certain features of the project to get them to where they can afford it. I almost always get the job if I go and give my proposal in person.

Landscape Poet
05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Sounds low to me also. Stick to your price, the customer will find out soon enough that you are most likely giving a good price.
How much is a pallet of sod cost you? and what is the square footage of the sod.
I am not sure about your area of the country, but here a sod cutter cost about $98 a day if you buy the insurance.
But lets start with the sod price.
Here I routinely get $325 to $350 for a 400 square foot pallet of sod, and that is usually the price for a multiple pallet install and my cost is about $105 for 400 or $125 for 500.
The less the sq footage, the more the cost per square, economy in scale and in your case, the scale appears to be small.