PDA

View Full Version : Lava rock help....

Greg78
05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I got a customer wants some lava rock put down... even though I hate the stuff.
I need to cover 130 square feet at 2 inches thick. I know how to calculate mulch, not sure how to calculate rock?
I was looking at getting some .5 cu ft bags and doing it with them. The bag says it covers 6 square feet (doesn't say how deep) so I would need approximately 22 bags.
I've read that lava rock will cover 180 square feet per ton at 3" deep. Using that it seems like I would need more than 22 bags (484 lbs) even at 2" instead of 3"?
Need some help here?

Darryl G
05-04-2011, 07:47 PM
It's the exact same calculation no matter what the material is. Just take the 130 sq feet and multiply by 0.1666 feet thick (2 inches divided by 12 inches per foot). So you need 21.7 cubic feet. Divide that by 0.5 (or multiply by 2 bags per cubic foot) and you need 43 bag to get a depth of 2 inches. It looks like they're only figuring on 1 inch thick with the coverage they give.

Greg78
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
It's the exact same calculation no matter what the material is. Just take the 130 sq feet and multiply by 0.1666 feet thick (2 inches divided by 12 inches per foot). So you need 21.7 cubic feet. Divide that by 0.5 (or multiply by 2 bags per cubic foot) and you need 43 bag to get a depth of 2 inches. It looks like they're only figuring on 1 inch thick with the coverage they give.

Thanks Darryl.

Landscape Poet
05-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Yep, but Greg, most of the Lava Rock Bags also already give you the break down on them of what kind of coverage they provide. If given proper coverage, and proper markup you should make a small fortune off doing this for the client. And another nice sum of money down the line when our sandy soil "eats" most of the rock, and even more when they decide they do not like it as it sinks into the ground, and you have to explain to them that you will be removing it for a long time cause it is sunken in about 6 to 8 inches in the ground.

Darryl G
05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks Darryl.

You're welcome

Dr.NewEarth
05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Do you use a landscape fabric under your lava rocks?

Florida Gardener
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
i dont like the red lava, but the black lava rock is sick imo.....

Landscape Poet
05-05-2011, 09:48 PM
i dont like the red lava, but the black lava rock is sick imo.....

Just wondering, how do the plants like the radiant heat given off by the BLACK lava? That has to be a pretty damn got bed during our summers....do plants not just sit there and sizzle like bacon?

Florida Gardener
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Just wondering, how do the plants like the radiant heat given off by the BLACK lava? That has to be a pretty damn got bed during our summers....do plants not just sit there and sizzle like bacon?

I dont like it with plants, but as a decorative feature in walkways and what not. I prefer to mulch plant beds as the mulch breaks down over time and adds to the soil. Plus, if you ever have to remove rock, it is a PITA.

Another really nice rock is the mexican beach pebble....

Groomer
05-05-2011, 10:35 PM
lava rock belongs, well, where it came from? or maybe the grill.

Dr.NewEarth
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Do you use a landscape fabric under your lava rocks?

We have a book here called the BC Landscape Standard that is used by landscape architects and landscape professionals in this province.

It suggests that we use a landscape fabric under
rocks, lava and some-times barkmulch. It helps to control the weeds.

Is this not part of your program where you are?

KINGMADE
05-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I removed lava rock once. Never ever again. Way underbid. The lady was never happy anyways becuase every time we ran a rake over the dirt, it would grab another rock that was buried and bring it to the surface. Had to tell here if she wants everyone of them gone we need to get a bobcat. She shut up.

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Lava rock is just another option for customers. I always lay the heaviest fabric I can get. It helps with the sinking effect. I haven't had any buyers remorse with it. I prefer to keep it behind hardscape though, earthen edges can be a pita to maintain. I haven't noticed any radiant heat problems and plants.
Posted via Mobile Device