PDA

View Full Version : sidewalk edgeing

mventrice
05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
ok so i just got a sidewalk edger. its time to put it to work and make some money with it!
how do you guys charge for this service? i have a few customers with sidwalks and patios that i know would love to have this done.

all my customers have never had this done so i would be cutting the first edgeing. do you charge diffrentley for re edgeing in the future?

Think Green
05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I will take the bait on this thread as I know it will cause some fluctuations of answers.
I own a combi attachment edger for my Stihls. I have used them 3 times in 2 years.
I know that most LCO's use an edger for the tough grasses like fescue, st. auggie, zoysia,etc. but with a good powered line trimmer I don't need an edger. The only times is for customers that think grass is supposed to grow over the curb.......but not too often is this a problem.

To answer the question direct, past threads have stated charging by the linear foot.

j-ville native
05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
LOL. You've never edged any of your customers' driveways? I'm sorry but then how is it possible that you still have those accounts?

Edging should be included in the price of mowing. So should string trimming and blowing. If it is way overgrown and hasn't been edged in forever then either charge more for the first time or if you are trying to gain them as a long term customers then you might have to suck it up and bite the bullet this time and not charge extra for that and it will be all easy after that

vencops
05-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Edging is included in my services. It's not an extra.

weeble67
05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I agree, charge more for the first time if it hasn't been done before. Then include it in your price for mowing. Once you get a good cut in, you'll be able to clean it up with a string trimmer most of the summer.

White Gardens
05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
When mowing I include it in the price of the mow.

When doing landscape maintenance, I'll throw it in for free just as a courtesy if the job I did for the customer was a reasonable sized one. Basically if I did a 4-5 hour shrub job, then a 10 min sidewalk edging will make the place look that much better and it's no skin off my teeth.

GravyTrain
05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
In Bermuda country here in central arkansas, in many cases edging needs to be done more often than mowing. It's included in my base price. If the customer signs up for the summer, I don't charge extra for the first edge. If it's a one time mow, and they lawn has never been edged, I'll add an extra 10-15 to the estimate.

Big Jake
05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm with you Gravy Train, here in NWA it normally has to be done every week. Not a big fan of burmuda at all.

To answer the question though...Its part of my standard service. I actually pride myself on very good edges.

JDiepstra
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
The first edging can be a real P I T A so make sure you charge pretty decent. I'd go for $1 a minute or more. Keep in mind if it is real overgrown you could be cutting off strips of grass that are a few inches wide. You are going to have to pick all that up and take it away cause it's going to look like crap if you just kick it into the yard and mow over it. Once the first edging is done, it will be much easier to maintain the edge so I would just work it into the price of the service. If you dont have a powerful edger a very overgrown edge will give you some trouble.

PrimoSR
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Included in our my pricing, it just make everything look so clean. I look at it this way; what if they turned it down b/c it costs more then I wouldn't happy with the way the property looked when I left.

royalcuts
05-18-2011, 04:54 PM
all these post and only one real answer to the question "how do you charge for this" just answer the question or explain how much of your price is based on this along with your time. i think that about .25 to .50 a foot might seem fair or try the $1 a min rule.

mventrice
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
I have Ben charging .50 cents a foot for the first edge over 20 ft In lenth for my customers than providing it for free when mowing. Most my customers were quite happy
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Two new customers this year. After doing these lawns that had not been edged for at least two years it took me more time to edge with a line trimmer then it did to mow their lawns.

Now if called to give an estimate with any new customers if their lawns were edged in the past and will not take extra time to do so I will not charge extra.

However if these new lawns have not had their edges maintained/neglected in the past then this will be pointed out to them an explained why there will be the need for an extra one time charge to put new edges in and then normal edging upkeep will be included with the weekly mowing charge. And, that next year being their edges where maintained by me until the fall there would be no need for an extra re-edging fee next spring when I restarted lawn care for them.

I would also give them the option of not cutting new edges for them and just maintain the edge basically where it's at with a light trim with the line trimmer as part of the weekly mow.

Being I spent more time edging then mowing I should of charged them double the price of a mow. So the first cut should of been $70 instead of $35. The other $86 instead of $43.

ralph02813
05-22-2011, 09:34 AM
I include it. Its funny I see a lot of guys use the weed whacker wrong and kill the edge, I hold mine perpendicular to the edge so it cuts a sharp edge - I actually got a new account next to one of my regulars just for that reason.