PDA

View Full Version : Lady crashed into my trailer

944own
05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Today while out mowing I was driving down the road in the left lane when a car that was stopped in the right lane decided to make a u turn just as I was passing her. She plowed into the side of my trailer and her car was trashed. My mower was OK I had the fastraps on and it did not move. My blower got a strap broke and the backplate and my trimmer broke the trigger and my edger seems all screwed up when it idles it is about at half throttle. My trailer is bent all to crap I had to have it towed on a rollback and my friend is letting me borrow a trailer till I can get something figured out. I am waiting on her insurance adjuster to come out and assess the damage hope they replace all my crap.

944own
05-04-2011, 09:46 PM
more pics of the damage

PerfectEarth
05-04-2011, 09:47 PM
LOL!!!! ....not about your stuff- sorry to hear that. BUT HOLY @#$%

Your little trailer did THAT to her car??? wtf?? hahahaha.

Trailer 1
Car 0

grincon
05-04-2011, 09:48 PM
ouugh, that sucks. The car is totaled compared to the trailer. people think they can just drive how ever they want. I bet she didnt even use her blinker for that illegal uturn.
Hope your stuff gets replaced.

ZMAX
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
good thing she has insurance!

pitrack
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Good luck with evertything. It is pretty crazy how bad of shape her car is in.

Oakleaf landscape
05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Damn your trailer OWNED HER CAR!!! But yea sorry to hear that... Good to hear that your mower was tied down. Hey maybe you will get some new equipment out of it though. Did it mess up the bumper on your truck or the receiver? That hitch is bent as crap!

944own
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Damn your trailer OWNED HER CAR!!! But yea sorry to hear that... Good to hear that your mower was tied down. Hey maybe you will get some new equipment out of it though. Did it mess up the bumper on your truck or the receiver? That hitch is bent as crap!

The bumper was already bent, it looks like it may have bent it a little more than it was but the receiver for the hitch was bent all to crap but the hitch is still good my friend brought me a trailer and a receiver and I hooked back up and finished my day. The axle on the trailer is bent to sxxt

flatlander42
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd make sure the truck goes to a frame shop before any settlement!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr.NewEarth
05-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Stupid B!7@h

What if that was a small car with a Mom and her Kids instead of your trailer?

Your down time is going to suck. Sorry to see that mess.

944own
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Stupid B!7@h

What if that was a small car with a Mom and her Kids instead of your trailer?

Your down time is going to suck. Sorry to see that mess.

for real at least I had a buddy with a trailer. He said I could use it until I get another one.

944own
05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
I am gonna have the dealer look at my mower just in case also I just bought that Lazer last week it has 13 hours on it.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Damn, that trailer held up nice!

944own
05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Did you guys notice ironically all this happened right in front of a lawn mower shop you can see the snapper pro sign in one of the pics. They were cool they let me park my mower in their lot until my trailer came.

Will P.C.
05-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow, that car got jacked up.

Keep us posted on what the insurance people do.

Make sure you get your truck looked at too

Schrock Lawns
05-04-2011, 10:44 PM
im glad all of your z is ok but if it got tottaled you could of got 2011 with the ''X'' sticker haa

mowerbrad
05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't like how that fire truck is positioned behind the car, lol

Glad you weren't hurt!! Was the other driver injured at all?

It is absolutely amazing what other drivers do on the road. I see it all the time and have had quite a few close calls this year. Always expect the unexpected!

TriCityLawnCareLLC
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
This is some good advertising for the fast straps. Also a grim reminder of what could have happened had your mower not been strapped down.

944own
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
im glad all of your z is ok but if it got tottaled you could of got 2011 with the ''X'' sticker haa

I know im looking into ordering some x stickers. LOL

944own
05-04-2011, 10:49 PM
This is some good advertising for the fast straps. Also a grim reminder of what could have happened had your mower not been strapped down.

I know my friend im borrowing a trailer from has a john deere 900 something z and makes fun of me for using the fastraps. He does not tie his mower down but after him seeing this he says he is gonna order some fastraps.

944own
05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't like how that fire truck is positioned behind the car, lol

Glad you weren't hurt!! Was the other driver injured at all?

It is absolutely amazing what other drivers do on the road. I see it all the time and have had quite a few close calls this year. Always expect the unexpected!

No she was not hurt just very shook up. She took a airbag to the face.

Flatop
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Glad you and the lady are okay. Have you initiated estimates for repairs/replacements for the the equipment damaged? I hate for her insurance try to low ball you on the amount you deserve. If you feel the sum you were given is inadequate, do not, I repeat do not deposit the check.

944own
05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Glad you and the lady are okay. Have you initiated estimates for repairs/replacements for the the equipment damaged? I hate for her insurance try to low ball you on the amount you deserve. If you feel the sum you were given is inadequate, do not, I repeat do not deposit the check.

I have not im just hoping for a new blower and trimmer and trailer but who knows I really dont think my trailer can be fixed it is so bent if you stand in front of it and look at the back it looks about 2 foot bent to one side and the floor is all jacked up and not to mention the axle wheels and tires and my trimmer rack.

944own
05-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I mowed 3 yards with my lazer after this happened and it did fine but im still gonna get it looked at.

Lawn Enforcer
05-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I hope everything turns out in you favor with insurance. And it's crazy how destroyed her car got, wow!

dose0018
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Just voicing another make sure you have the truck looked at. I had a trailer that got hit and the receiver hitch ended up bending the frame rails on the truck.

Also, I always wondered how the faststraps would hold up to a crash, I could not tell for sure from the pictures, did you have them on one or both wheels.

Glad your fine and will be able to continue working

corey4671
05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
No tag on the trailer. No commercial plates on the truck. Subscribing to see how this pans out.

Jims Lawncare
05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Glad no one was seriously hurt.

flatlander42
05-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Also, I always wondered how the faststraps would hold up to a crash, I could not tell for sure from the pictures, did you have them on one or both wheels.

you couldn't see?????? Looked like both tires to me.

Darryl G
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
I too am amazed at how messed up her car got. Sorry to hear you got your stuff messed up but it sure could have been worse. I'm guessing that she just didn't realize that you had a trailer and thought she was good to go after your truck passed her. From the looks of the damage it looks like your trailer ran up and over the front of her car when she drove into it.

Darryl G
05-05-2011, 12:53 AM
The bumper was already bent, it looks like it may have bent it a little more than it was but the receiver for the hitch was bent all to crap but the hitch is still good my friend brought me a trailer and a receiver and I hooked back up and finished my day. The axle on the trailer is bent to sxxt

I hope you kept quiet about the bumper already being bent, hehe.

georgiagrass
05-05-2011, 04:26 AM
Trailer - 1, Car - 0

blk90s13
05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
sorry about your loss, glad she got what she deserved

nepatsfan
05-05-2011, 07:07 AM
No tag on the trailer. No commercial plates on the truck. Subscribing to see how this pans out.

Good eye. I wonder if the other insurance company noticed that.

jhouchins
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
You should sell your story to fast straps and tell them how good they held your mower down. Some simple ratchets and that mower would have been in the road.

TimTim2008
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
subscribing.

Showpropserv
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Yep I think the frame on that mower is bent and thats not a real sturdy lincoln is it

JFGauvreau
05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Ouch! that's all I'm gonna say.

Chevy z71
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Lady was probaly on a dang phone.

knox gsl
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM

You do not have to tag a trailer in TN, but the truck should have a 9000lb tag on it, becareful because you will need to carry a commercial rider policy if you have this plate. I'm not sure what qualifies to need a tag here weight wise, but I know that mine is not tagged and has not been an issue. I've never had a cop say a word about it and the trailer is behind my truck 95% of the time.

I'm impressed with the straps but cant really use them on my trailer as things are always in differrent spots or I'm hauling brush from cleanups and need the floor to be smooth for an easy unload.

I would also push to have the at fault driver to pay the cost of you having to rent a trailer to opperate you business with untill this is settled, you have a check and have purchased a new one.

RLS24
05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I would have to say that the trailer won that battle. Kinda sad, as far as the construction of the car is concerned. Hope everything works out for you. That really sucks.

THEGOLDPRO
05-05-2011, 07:55 PM
dang bro thats crazy.

flyingdutch16
05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
definitely subbed to find out how this all works out

Southern Pride
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I absolutely agree with flatlander. Run your truck by the frame shop too man! The insurance guy may or may not look around the hitch area underneath and that's something you don't want going unnoticed because you may have ANOTHER baad situation if the frame isn't straight or the hitch is loose.

Anyway, typical woman driver incident I see... That's terrible but at least you have insurance brother...Could be a absolute nightmare if not.

944own
05-05-2011, 11:53 PM
They are sending out a appraiser tomorrow morning I have all my receipts together for all my damaged stuff.

corey4671
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
You do not have to tag a trailer in TN, but the truck should have a 9000lb tag on it, becareful because you will need to carry a commercial rider policy if you have this plate. I'm not sure what qualifies to need a tag here weight wise, but I know that mine is not tagged and has not been an issue. I've never had a cop say a word about it and the trailer is behind my truck 95% of the time.

I'm impressed with the straps but cant really use them on my trailer as things are always in differrent spots or I'm hauling brush from cleanups and need the floor to be smooth for an easy unload.

I would also push to have the at fault driver to pay the cost of you having to rent a trailer to opperate you business with untill this is settled, you have a check and have purchased a new one.

Call your county clerk
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
sorry to hear about this accident but it could have turned out a llot worse if your stuff wasnt tied down

weeze
05-06-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah a tag isn't necessary...at least here....your trailer has to be 16' or longer before you need a tag....sorry this happened...hopefully you will get a new trailer, trimmer, and blower out of it...or anything else that's damaged...that's crazy...i mean she didn't see she was turning into a trailer and hit the brakes or swerve back over?...i'm amazed at things some drivers do

Showpropserv
05-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Lady was probaly on a dang phone.

ya who let her out of the kitchen anyway:nono: had some jackass in a dodge magnum pull out infront of me when i was half way in an intersection and yes i gave him an earfull at the next stop light he must not know an F350 and 16 ft dump dont stop real well

grassman177
05-06-2011, 10:34 PM
glad to see no one is hurt, been in a few accidents myself....to the hospital trauma unit!!!!!

we use fastraps too, on everything on every trailer......best there is, and this is good testament i would say as well, glad to see you secure your equipment. most dont, and they are idiots.

cpllawncare
05-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I think I should get some of those faststraps I use rachet straps currently, the DOT Will pull you over around here if your not strapped down, and I have a CDL so that would go against my liscense which would suck. Hope everything turns out okay for you, go for as much new stuff as you can, and for sure have that truck looked at closely.

KINGMADE
05-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Good eye. I wonder if the other insurance company noticed that.

like it matters. This guy could have been driving the truck drunk, on an expired license, with his hair on fire and her insurance company still has to pay. And before anyone wonders if I am qualified. 12 years commercial truck insurance sales. Also say that your truck is damaged. The insurance company pays to fix it. You decided to sell it a year later. Guess what shows up on the carfax report? Guess who's truck value just went down? Ask for loss of value compensation. They may not always give it as they are not required to but if you fight long enough they will pay.

corey4671
05-06-2011, 11:15 PM
yeah a tag isn't necessary...at least here....your trailer has to be 16' or longer before you need a tag....sorry this happened...hopefully you will get a new trailer, trimmer, and blower out of it...or anything else that's damaged...that's crazy...i mean she didn't see she was turning into a trailer and hit the brakes or swerve back over?...i'm amazed at things some drivers do

and there's a difference in laws in Alabama and laws in Tennessee

to all you saying that a tag is not required are ignorant of the law

http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll/tncode/1f951/1fb4b/1fb52/1fba8?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_55-4-111

If you are lucky you will get an adjuster that is just as stupid as the people who say a tag in TENNESSEE is not required. If nothing else, this best be a wake up call and learning experience for you. Just ecase the cops have never said anything about it doesn't mean you are exempt from the law. You let a highway patrol pull you over and you will soon learn that you are in fact in violation of not only pulling an unregistered trailer for the purpose of furthering a business, but that your truck is not properly being taxed by wya of the registration. To the guy who said you only need a 9k lb tag that is a broad blanket statement as well. I run a 3/4 truck with an 18ft trailer and two mowers. Many days I'm over 9k. Guess what. With a 9k tag, if I were to get pulled over and I'm over the weight, I get a ticket. I opted to go with the 16k tag. To all you who say "aw it ain't required", wake up. It IS! I would not be surprised to see the insurance deny this claim. If they don't, you can **** yourself extremely lucky. I was fortunate growing up as I started in this business that my mother worked in insurance. I got all this crap harped at me for years to make sure I was doing everything by the letter of the law just in case I were to be involved in a similar situation as the OP. I'm just trying to help some of you guys avoid making the same mistake before it's too late.

944own
05-06-2011, 11:34 PM
The appraiser came out today it looks like they are gonna pay for my trailer and all my equipment that was damaged thank God. And by the way you do not have to have tag on a trailer under 16ft in TN that is what the officer said just to clear that up for you guys will update when this is over. Thanks for the kind words this really sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
But what about the truck?

944own
05-06-2011, 11:56 PM
But what about the truck?

Don't know the law about the truck always had a regular tag and never had a problem. Nothing was said about it so really not sure. If you mean damages the rear bumper was already bent and im not really trying to scam anyone I just want to get my damaged stuff replaced. Im gonna get my mechanic to look at my frame just to make sure she said I could do that and call her with the results on what my mechanic thinks.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
05-08-2011, 12:30 AM
You lucked out

360ci
05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL!!!! ....not about your stuff- sorry to hear that. BUT HOLY @#$%

Your little trailer did THAT to her car??? wtf?? hahahaha.

Trailer 1
Car 0

I Totally concur!

Still, just goes to show that what it can do when you have your items properly secured. If they flew off and went though someone else's vehicle window it'll open up a whole different can'o worms! I see pickups all the time with items in the back with not even as much as a bungee cord....ugh

TNGrassCutter
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
and there's a difference in laws in Alabama and laws in Tennessee

to all you saying that a tag is not required are ignorant of the law

http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll/tncode/1f951/1fb4b/1fb52/1fba8?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_55-4-111

If you are lucky you will get an adjuster that is just as stupid as the people who say a tag in TENNESSEE is not required. If nothing else, this best be a wake up call and learning experience for you. Just ecase the cops have never said anything about it doesn't mean you are exempt from the law. You let a highway patrol pull you over and you will soon learn that you are in fact in violation of not only pulling an unregistered trailer for the purpose of furthering a business, but that your truck is not properly being taxed by wya of the registration. To the guy who said you only need a 9k lb tag that is a broad blanket statement as well. I run a 3/4 truck with an 18ft trailer and two mowers. Many days I'm over 9k. Guess what. With a 9k tag, if I were to get pulled over and I'm over the weight, I get a ticket. I opted to go with the 16k tag. To all you who say "aw it ain't required", wake up. It IS! I would not be surprised to see the insurance deny this claim. If they don't, you can **** yourself extremely lucky. I was fortunate growing up as I started in this business that my mother worked in insurance. I got all this crap harped at me for years to make sure I was doing everything by the letter of the law just in case I were to be involved in a similar situation as the OP. I'm just trying to help some of you guys avoid making the same mistake before it's too late.

This is correct. In my county must have commercial plates on truck and trailer if used for business. Can't advertise on truck without commercial plates. No matter how long trailer is, what weight ratings are, if used for business must have tags. And commercial insurance, if you cause a wreck with personal insurance and they find out you are using for business they will deny, they love a reason not to pay. And the problem with asking cops is half of them don't know and the other half ignore it because they run the under the table lawn mowing on their days off. Go ask you county clerks office they will tell you just like they told me. And get a plate for your truck + trailer weight ratings not what you think your hauling.
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
This is correct. In my county must have commercial plates on truck and trailer if used for business. Can't advertise on truck without commercial plates. No matter how long trailer is, what weight ratings are, if used for business must have tags. And commercial insurance, if you cause a wreck with personal insurance and they find out you are using for business they will deny, they love a reason not to pay. And the problem with asking cops is half of them don't know and the other half ignore it because they run the under the table lawn mowing on their days off. Go ask you county clerks office they will tell you just like they told me. And get a plate for your truck + trailer weight ratings not what you think your hauling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ontario Canada is a bit different. We can add 'business miles' onto a personal insurance policy. All Ontario trailer plates say "TRAILER" on them somewhere. They're aren't any special 'tags', as you guys call them for trailers here. There are some variants for vehicle plates such as it might say "FARM", but it's fairly simplified otherwise.

TNGrassCutter
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Of course Canada is a little different than Tennessee. Trailer tags are just license plates like your talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-10-2011, 07:38 PM
We aren't required to have trailer tags here in SC either except for weight and size I've got a CDL and looked over the manual just to make sure. I was told that a CDL was required now here to pull a trailer of any size but I'm not certain on that, the manual says 9k for a CDL or tags. I'll have to follow up on the rqrmts a lil further.

corey4671
05-12-2011, 07:11 AM
The OP Is in tennessee. Some moron has given him bad info. Fortunately for him the insurance adjuster was a moron too.
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
The OP Is in tennessee. Some moron has given him bad info. Fortunately for him the insurance adjuster was a moron too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was at a trailer place yesterday buying a new trailer and the salesman had all the trailer laws printed out seems I was wrong and the cops in TN for personal use you don't need a tag if under 20ft but if you are out making a living with it you do so im getting a tag on my new trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Here is a pic of my new trailer got it wed the insurance guy called me today and said my check is mailed they ended up paying me right at $3500 and said I can keep all the equipment so it worked out good my new trailer was 1300 new.
I ordered the extreme trimmer rack today mine was trashed.

Hoy landscaping
05-13-2011, 11:12 PM
ha at least you won!

944own
05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
For real I have not updated this thread in a few days but to make a very long story short the lady cop that dealt with the accident wrote the accident up as it was neither of our fault dont ask me why but I had went to the police dept to get a police report and was told this but was also told the report had not been approved by her supervisor and I could come back the next day and talk to him before he approved it. I went and told him my story of what happened and showed him pics on my cell phone and luckily he was on my side and modified the report and put failure to yeild on the other driver. Her insurance guy was even on my side and said he would probably pay me out even if that was what the report said because the liability was on her. That was his words but in the end I got the report changed and it all worked out. I think the lady cop had just taken the other lady drivers side. Just shows you the how law enforcement people are crooked as shxxt I would like to see the look on that cops face when she saw he changed her report because she was a real bixxh to me.

Premier landscaping south
05-13-2011, 11:42 PM
So glad to hear that freind! Great to hear things can work out in the right direction. Good luck the rest of the season.

944own
05-13-2011, 11:46 PM
So glad to hear that freind! Great to hear things can work out in the right direction. Good luck the rest of the season.

Thanks man I just know if that was me that u turned into someone I would have left the scene with a ticket and not a question about who was at fault. Good luck to you also.

Chevy z71
05-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Nice new trailer.

944own
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice new trailer.

Thanks I like the high sides.

LawnGuy73
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Looks like you will be getting some new stuff for free!

944own
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Got my check in the mail today, so glad I did not get screwed on this.:cool2:

AcutAboveTheMoon
05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, Woman really shouldn't drive!

corey4671
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
glad this al worked out for you and that you learned a lesson as well. I'm sure the laws are different in every state and in some cases even countries. It just goes to show you how easily you can be misled on this site by people who don't know what they are talking about.

THEGOLDPRO
05-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Congrats man, It all worked out in the end.

weeze
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
sweet new trailer you got there..glad things worked out for you.

cooltype
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
hey man had the same thing happen to me in front of goodyear on hixson pike! I mow that new apartment complex where you wrecked at crazy same town but not sure that I have seen you around. My wreck totaled my car and trailer

cooltype
05-16-2011, 11:41 PM
after reading more of the thread let me mention same ***** cop wrote a report when i got hit in my isuzu last year blamed me for a guy switching lanes into me im 99% sure it was her. also, when i got hit guy had no insurance lucky me for uninsured motorist lol

944own
05-16-2011, 11:43 PM
sorry to hear that this happened over in Red Bank on Dayton Blvd. So she was a Red Bank cop.

cooltype
05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
yeah ive been hit twice lol bad luck i guess..... I mow that city green place right there by the highway.

cooltype
05-17-2011, 12:11 AM
i bought the isuzu landscape truck with the check i got for the first wreck. worked out for me

944own
05-17-2011, 12:16 AM
i bought the isuzu landscape truck with the check i got for the first wreck. worked out for me

Good deal they let me keep all my equipment they paid for and I ended up just ordering parts to fix my equipment so I came out with a new trailer and a decent amount of cash.

cooltype
05-17-2011, 12:29 AM
good job, do you do this full time? my garage is in red bank btw we do about 100 accounts around chattanooga some are big but alot of residential accounts too

944own
05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
good job, do you do this full time? my garage is in red bank btw we do about 100 accounts around chattanooga some are big but alot of residential accounts too

Yea I'm full time I do around 35 accts and I work solo most of my stuff is in e brainerd but I have 8 in n chart. Good luck this year
Posted via Mobile Device