PDA

View Full Version : HOW do I trim these hedges??

roberthathaway7
05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I am fairly new to the Lawn Maint. game.. I've trimmed tons of boxwoods and a few others that i can't name, but does I have been running across some that I really do not know how to go about trimming.. does anyone know of any good guides to trimming different types of hedges? I mean some you can just sculpt with a gas trimmer, but others seem like they should only be nipped a little here and there and left growing wildly, some I don't know if I would damage by cutting inappropriately. Some look like they trim themselves. I want my lawns to look top notch so help please! thanks!

peahlybros.
05-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Without specifics, we really cant help. pictures would help. The only advice would be to read all you can. Get books with information for your demographics... go online and research all you can. I practically have a library started so if I run into something I dont know off hand I have resources to fall back on.

Good Luck

unkownfl
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
There are many different styles of blades for cutting different hedges.

Smallaxe
05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Rule of Thumb... Research the recommended pruning methods of each plant you come across, before the forst cut... See what others have done, and copy only those things you like... Ask thenursery men in your area... You don't even give a clue that you are talking about banana trees, so I'm not sure if your talking to us or some imaginery guru...

32vld
05-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I am fairly new to the Lawn Maint. game.. I've trimmed tons of boxwoods and a few others that i can't name, but does I have been running across some that I really do not know how to go about trimming.. does anyone know of any good guides to trimming different types of hedges? I mean some you can just sculpt with a gas trimmer, but others seem like they should only be nipped a little here and there and left growing wildly, some I don't know if I would damage by cutting inappropriately. Some look like they trim themselves. I want my lawns to look top notch so help please! thanks!

You have to identify the name of the plant, then google how to trim it. No one rule fits all.

djagusch
05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Take a pic and ask a nursery in the area. Write down the name when they give it and google about it. Ask about how much shade/sun it should be in, as I have found the person who planted it sometimes puts a plant in full sun while it won't grow well there. Also research watering practices if you are in charge about irrigation.

Over time you will learn each plant in your area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Fully realizing everyone has to start somewhere, oh boy.

In addition to Google and other local experts, some formal training in landscape management might be a good idea so you can at least sound professional.

roberthathaway7
05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
ok guys haha actually I don't have any specifically that i am looking at right now, i know to find the name then look it up, i'm just more interested in the name of a good book to buy or website or some sort of resource so I can study it and build a knowledge base, so later on i can see them and be like oh yeah, i can do that, and start it right then. Or whip out a field guide from behind my seat, look it up, and go to town. Thanks for the replies so far!