PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried this

lyndont
05-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I live in the country and have a long rock driveway and have had to have more rock brought in 3 times in 4 years. Its like it just sinks in the dirt or washes away. My grandpa told me I need to find some used carpet and put it down before they poor the gravel and it would help. It kind of makes since but would be a real hassle if it didn't work. Has anyone on here tried that.
Posted via Mobile Device

UfoPilot
05-05-2011, 02:56 AM
You're using the wrong kind of rock.

Smallaxe
05-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Our company here actually has something called "Road Base"... it shovels ok but when it packs its solid... then you can put anything you want over that...

ProTouch Groundscapes
05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
either that or put down some geotex fabric to keep the stone from migrating down into the soil.

ALC-GregH
05-05-2011, 07:26 AM
You're using the wrong kind of rock.

Good answer. I agree. A gravel driveway should have a large size rock (golf ball to baseball size) as a base then crush and run on top.

mdlwn1
05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
This is done all the time for pavers and walls in clay soil...it's easy for a stone to sink, but when the whole thing is one mass.....not so much.

LandscaperPro
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Well the carpet idea will work untill the weather deteriates it. Add Lime. You can buy rock with lime mixed in already. Start with a #7a rock. The lime will pack and harden as it mixes with clay, mud, even water. Then spread your #2's on top. #2's are heavy enough they won't wash away in a hard rain.