PDA

View Full Version : What's the cheapest you will mow a lawn for?

Hardcore5657
05-05-2011, 07:51 AM
I have to give a estimate on a small lawn today, I will be in and out in 10min. What would you charge?
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnGuy73
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Our minimum is $30.00.

lawnkingforever
05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
With my route filling in I will not bother with any lawn under $30. The only exception to this would be a small yard in a neighborhood I already have accounts in. Even then it would not be much less than $30.

32vld
05-05-2011, 08:10 AM
I have to give a estimate on a small lawn today, I will be in and out in 10min. What would you charge?
Posted via Mobile Device

It should be 1/2 of what you would charge for a 20 min lawn, 1/3 of a 30 min lawn, etc.

What did you quote?

vencops
05-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Where is it?

That would be the key, for me.

Right now, I don't have anything that I bill out less than $50/per for. But, I do more than "mow, blow and go". I'm not saying I wouldn't service a lawn for less than that....if the circumstances were convenient.

Hardcore5657
05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Just got back I was pricing her lawn and her neighbor, was leaving for work and said price mine to so I said I would do both for $45. I got it figured not bad both lawns weekly cuts in and out 20 min
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnGuy73
05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
It should be 1/2 of what you would charge for a 20 min lawn, 1/3 of a 30 min lawn, etc.

What did you quote?

Ha..........

Too funny!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
$25 min here, and that is a pretty darn small resi lawn.

GravyTrain
05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Won't drop the gate for less than $40 a cut (with discounts on yearly plans, that rate drops). Doesn't matter where it is. I mow all my neighbors yards, no travel time, no wear on the truck, no gas to get there. two are $40, one is $50.

Lawn Pawn
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
$7 for a 66ft x 124ft city lot....

But then I am not right in head....

jsslawncare
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm now working for milk and egg's.

cpllawncare
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a couple of 10 min yards $45 each, which is my min.

Will P.C.
05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
If it requires some type of drive, that is more important than what you quote them. How much extra time and gas will it take to get to this yard? Probably much more time than it takes to do the yard.

Mark Oomkes
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
I do mine for free. It takes me about an hour and a half.

KINGMADE
05-05-2011, 05:33 PM

What did you quote?

BS. I honestly think you have no idea of what you are talking about. Part of the cost is not just in the lawn, it is the drive to/from and loading and unloading of equipment. Whether it is an acre or 5,000 square feet you still have the cost of the drive and the time wasted loading and unloading equipment.

XLS
05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
my cheapest i do personally is 12.00 for a area right next to my office it takes 4 minutes No additional work , mowed when i mow my area
30.00 would be the min regular adn if i was getting as low a fuel milage as alot it would be 50.00

Patriot Services
05-05-2011, 05:54 PM
$7 for a 66ft x 124ft city lot....

But then I am not right in head....

We have a name for guys like you.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
5 dollars.

KINGMADE
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
if they are wanting weekly and it is around other properties of yours on the same days then 25. If it is bi weekly 30. If it is a one time job charge as much as you possibly can. A lot of times a nice car in the driveway can give you an idea of their budget.

dKoester
05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
BS. I honestly think you have no idea of what you are talking about. Part of the cost is not just in the lawn, it is the drive to/from and loading and unloading of equipment. Whether it is an acre or 5,000 square feet you still have the cost of the drive and the time wasted loading and unloading equipment.

Let that noob fail, he's an idiot.

Jims Lawncare
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
My minimum for a small weekly account is $25

yardguy28
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM

sweet, i just learned something. i learned i have no idea what i'm talking about :hammerhead:

my min. is $25 and that has nothing to do with what side of town it's on or what equipment gets loaded and unloaded.

my price per cut is strictly based off the size of the property, how much trimming is included, how much edging is included and how much clean up.

i can have one lawn thats $25 a week and 5 min. drive time and another lawn that is $25 with 15 min. drive time if i wanted.

i run a route and place clients accordingly but there location doesn't affect my price per cut.

Florida Gardener
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Yardguy, if you had a lot that was $25 but was a 30 min drive, it would still be $25?
Posted via Mobile Device

ray904
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
$35.00 is my min

Darryl G
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
My minimum is $40 but I have one at $25 that is the same stop as 2 others and it's a tiny cottage lot. The front is about 100 sq feet and the back can't be more than 1000 sq feet.

WLC26
05-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I try to give people an option for prices if they are right beside one I already have, and let me do it the same day. I have some people that dont want it cut on monday when im already there, but i say that the price is double if I have to come back later in the week for a special trip. Some people are willing to pay double actually. I was surprised the first time it happened.

topsites
05-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I quoted a very small yard this year at $20, that is the absolute lowest I have quoted in years
and I did it as an experiment, to see if that was the kind of service I wanted to offer.

Good thing the house is for sale because every time I mow it I am hating life,
but I'll take the loss, it will serve as a great reminder why I have a $30 minimum
and at least my days are numbered, even if it takes a year (or three).

JB1
05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I read on here somewhere about a $1.00 a minute.

RLS24
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
location is key. if I can do 4, 5, or 6 houses on the same street and only have to move the truck once or twice, I may be more apt to give a little on the price, especially with gas the way it is because the less I move that truck the better. I have one lawn that I can't put the 54" on because the mower us just too big to maneuver around there, and even with the 36" from trailer gate down to trailer gate up im there 7.5 min. I do 2 others on the street, thats a $15 lawn Mow trim edge blow. The guy pays cash and usually insists on giving me a $20 with no change. But other than that one, I am hard pressed to charge less than $25 for a lawn.

lawnwizards
05-05-2011, 09:24 PM
i dont have a minimum price, as long as i'm making money. never could understand people saying "i wont drop my gate for less than....." it really limits yourselves.

rcslawncare
05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
There is no minimum, just need to make a good wage and not do it for free and Im happy. Mostly $25 for small resi's.

ed2hess
05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
If the yard is among others we do it would be $15. We edge fronts for $5 if it next to a yard we do. Money is money regardless of how small amount.

KINGMADE
05-05-2011, 11:55 PM
If the yard is among others we do it would be $15. We edge fronts for $5 if it next to a yard we do. Money is money regardless of how small amount.

I am getting 7 for edging only ;) Get what you can when you can.

KINGMADE
05-05-2011, 11:56 PM
sweet, i just learned something. i learned i have no idea what i'm talking about :hammerhead:

my min. is $25 and that has nothing to do with what side of town it's on or what equipment gets loaded and unloaded.

my price per cut is strictly based off the size of the property, how much trimming is included, how much edging is included and how much clean up.

i can have one lawn thats $25 a week and 5 min. drive time and another lawn that is $25 with 15 min. drive time if i wanted.

i run a route and place clients accordingly but there location doesn't affect my price per cut.

So 15 minute drive there. 15 minute drive back. load unload time. You might as well be paying them to cut it.

delphied
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
I get a kick from these guys and their minimums. Like the $35 is my minimum but I will mow 3 acres for $36! Who are you trying to fool? I lose jobs Ive been mowing for years at $80 to you clowns who come in and mow it for $30. Then they say hey , whatever it takes to put food on the table. What a joke.

cpllawncare
05-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I get a kick from these guys and their minimums. Like the $35 is my minimum but I will mow 3 acres for $36! Who are you trying to fool? I lose jobs Ive been mowing for years at $80 to you clowns who come in and mow it for $30. Then they say hey , whatever it takes to put food on the table. What a joke.

I've lost accounts to these guys also, but in the end the customer ends up calling me back and saying " I can't get the guy here to take care of my yard I need you back" LOL obviously I don't go back for the same price I was at, I've grown and prices have gone up :)

soloscaperman
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Surprised no one said what if you lost all the lawns near it, would you still make money traveling out of your way to do it? Don't get cocky and price lower just because it's next to your other lawns. You never know what can happen and if you lose the lawns near that one you are better off losing that little lawn as well!.

Agape
05-06-2011, 09:49 AM

What did you quote?

so if you charged $30 for a 30 minute lawn you would charge $5 for a 5 minute lawn??

My cost of doing a lawn is much more than the time i spend on it, but also the time it takes to get to it, fuel, estimating, advertising, insurance (pennies per lawn, but still an expense).etc

Jay Ray
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Have you had a customer ask you to lower your price because it costs them more to drive to work yet?

Agape
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
if they are wanting weekly and it is around other properties of yours on the same days then 25. If it is bi weekly 30. If it is a one time job charge as much as you possibly can. A lot of times a nice car in the driveway can give you an idea of their budget.

what if your nearby customer moves or stops service, should you give a discount because you hustled?

EquityGreen
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Our minimum is 35 but mowing sucks there is not alot of money to be made, id rather ride my T3000 all day and fertilize.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Our minimum is 35 but mowing sucks there is not alot of money to be made, id rather ride my T3000 all day and fertilize.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah because what we're getting at here is making $60 an hour...
4 minutes at a time.

rain man
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
You can buy a mower, string trimmer, edger, and hedge clippers at Lowes...make the payment for 12 months a year....furnish the gas, oil, blades, etc.

Or...

Let the neighborhood guy do it for $20.00 "as needed" only on the months the grass is growing.

Thats what it comes down to with some of the pricing which is out there.

D&F lawnmaster
05-06-2011, 08:34 PM
i don't unload anything less than 50.00

ProStreetCamaro
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Threads like this make me laugh at all the BS I read. Some of you must live in areas that have no hispanics. Take D&F for example. You quote $50 for anything less than an acre around here and the person will likely laugh in your face and say thats fine I will just get Julio 2 houses down to do it for $25. We have big companys doing average size lawns for $20 and these are large outfits and not some guy with home depot equipment driving a 20 year old truck. Guys are doing an acre for $40 to $50 and each additional acre is another $35.

milo
05-06-2011, 11:06 PM
the real truth to all of this is this business is a joke. really, its a business that every year new people or people collecting unemployment jump into to make some quick extra bucks and do nothing legal and just take all the lawns.. i dont care what anyone says on here, come to my area and try it out. cutting grass is like the second biggest thing i learned to do in life right behind riding a bike. anyone can do it unless they are in poor health. posts on here are people saying all the time, a dealer 25 miles from me will sell me this model mower for $7000.00 but the dealer you usually go to wants $7400.00 i guarntee you will all either buy from the $7000.00 dealer or beg your dealer to do it for same price and once he does than you will buy from him. none of you would say ah its 400.00 more to stay with my dealer that i deal with for years, you want that same 7000.00 price or your buying from other dealer. all you people who jump on your high horse and say no way i would not are going thru life lieing to yourself or smoke crack..
so high horse people, just let your customers get price quotes from 3 other local companys and see if one they saty with you or ask you well company x will do this lawn for half the price you are charging me so please either lower my price or im going with them... there is a reason wal mart's are packed and k mart's look like a ghost town

rain man
05-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Theres some truth to what Milo says. If you're not in with the rest of the pack of dogs then you might not be treeing no coon. So, get in the pack or trail a different varment.

MR-G
05-07-2011, 12:05 AM
i dont have a minimum price, as long as i'm making money. never could understand people saying "i wont drop my gate for less than....." it really limits yourselves. NOT REALLY...what limits you is when your schedule is full and no time for new accts and you find yourself turning down possibly better accts. because you pretty much took everything and anything along the way....

MR-G
05-07-2011, 12:07 AM
we try and base our price at 1.25 per minute/ per man (3 guys 3.75 a minute) this is what we consider our target area of accts...we try and make sure we our getting as close to this figure as possible...

BadRancher
05-07-2011, 12:15 AM

Right! only if it is close by though. Its hard to make a trip to edge and trim for less than $25-30. But I can get a clients neighbor for 10.00... I'm already there and it may add 10 minutes to my day so why not.

BadRancher
05-07-2011, 12:24 AM
the real truth to all of this is this business is a joke. really, its a business that every year new people or people collecting unemployment jump into to make some quick extra bucks and do nothing legal and just take all the lawns.. i dont care what anyone says on here, come to my area and try it out. cutting grass is like the second biggest thing i learned to do in life right behind riding a bike. anyone can do it unless they are in poor health. posts on here are people saying all the time, a dealer 25 miles from me will sell me this model mower for $7000.00 but the dealer you usually go to wants $7400.00 i guarntee you will all either buy from the $7000.00 dealer or beg your dealer to do it for same price and once he does than you will buy from him. none of you would say ah its 400.00 more to stay with my dealer that i deal with for years, you want that same 7000.00 price or your buying from other dealer. all you people who jump on your high horse and say no way i would not are going thru life lieing to yourself or smoke crack..
so high horse people, just let your customers get price quotes from 3 other local companys and see if one they saty with you or ask you well company x will do this lawn for half the price you are charging me so please either lower my price or im going with them... there is a reason wal mart's are packed and k mart's look like a ghost town
Well said dude!!!.... Where are the guys with the "but thats different because thats not my business" argument
NOT REALLY...what limits you is when your schedule is full and no time for new accts and you find yourself turning down possibly better accts. because you pretty much took everything and anything along the way....
That is why you always have another LCO friend or part time LCO. You can pass things on to them and take advantage of better jobs. It happened to me with my friend, I considered it helping me out and not passing me garbage. I will do the same to a friend or anyone else I know that is struggling or trying to start up and get the ball rolling.

Or you could just simply let them go and jump on the better job.

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
For years on here now. Every time I hear "I won't drop my gate for xxx or I won't get out of bed for xxx". All I think is there must be a lot of well rested guys and slightly used equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-07-2011, 07:13 AM

You are just learning that now...I have been telling you that for years:laugh:

milo
05-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Well said dude!!!.... Where are the guys with the "but thats different because thats not my business" argument

That is why you always have another LCO friend or part time LCO. You can pass things on to them and take advantage of better jobs. It happened to me with my friend, I considered it helping me out and not passing me garbage. I will do the same to a friend or anyone else I know that is struggling or trying to start up and get the ball rolling.

Or you could just simply let them go and jump on the better job.
thank you.... its the truth, sure customers will pay a couple bucks more for some people but not double for people. if you do a lawn and then a neighbor says hay, how much to cut my 10 by 10 lawn, if you tell them $30.00 a cut and trying to say thats what you charge them your full of $hit. you would say $10.00 and thats the truth.. next if a customer calls and has a 10 by 10 lawn and they are like a 5 mile out of the way lawn to get to, if you dont just say to them look, you are way to far for this amount of grass for what i will have to charge you then you are a a$$ and not a good person

D&F lawnmaster
05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Good morning Prostreetcamaro, No we don't have any mexicans where i live that does lawn care business. Yes i don't charge less than $50.00 do any lawn care work. I have been in business for twenty years and i have seen alot of guys around here that do a lawn for 20.00 and most of the work looks like crap. Here one summer gone the next year.But now these people is starting to see what we do and we do more business in this area than anyone else. Yes it is alot of BS on this site. I am sorry for u guys that have alot of mexicans around your area. That why alot of mexican are doing lawn care work and not paying taxes like me.I will let them know up front what they get for this price. If they don't want it then i will move on. I do 80 lawns a week with me and two full time workers. I bid on a job and most of the time i get it and if i don't someone else calling me to bid on their lawn.

D&F lawnmaster
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Threads like this make me laugh at all the BS I read. Some of you must live in areas that have no hispanics. Take D&F for example. You quote $50 for anything less than an acre around here and the person will likely laugh in your face and say thats fine I will just get Julio 2 houses down to do it for $25. We have big companys doing average size lawns for $20 and these are large outfits and not some guy with home depot equipment driving a 20 year old truck. Guys are doing an acre for $40 to $50 and each additional acre is another $35.

Well, thank God that i don't live in your area. I have been in business for twenty years. I first mower was a snapper with a 32 in cut use. But now i own four exmark mowers. This what wrong with this country everyone wants something for nothing. I am a big company and i do lose new clients because of my price. I am not going to drop my price because other people are doing it cheaper. You always get what u pay for. One of my biggest job other day got a new bid and it was lower than me. They ask me do drop my price. I refuse to drop my price and but i told them i was not going up on them. Guess what i got the job for another two years. I hope these mexicans are paying taxes like me and you.

KINGMADE
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, thank God that i don't live in your area. I have been in business for twenty years. I first mower was a snapper with a 32 in cut use. But now i own four exmark mowers. This what wrong with this country everyone wants something for nothing. I am a big company and i do lose new clients because of my price. I am not going to drop my price because other people are doing it cheaper. You always get what u pay for. One of my biggest job other day got a new bid and it was lower than me. They ask me do drop my price. I refuse to drop my price and but i told them i was not going up on them. Guess what i got the job for another two years. I hope these mexicans are paying taxes like me and you.

You are full of it. Median house hold income is 33,260 in your "area". Are you mowing 3 acres for 50. lol. Median income in my area is over 100,000 and no one around here is paying anything near that.

BestImpressions99
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Nothing less than 25. That's only based on size (ie postage stamp lawn).

milo
05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Good morning Prostreetcamaro, No we don't have any mexicans where i live that does lawn care business. Yes i don't charge less than $50.00 do any lawn care work. I have been in business for twenty years and i have seen alot of guys around here that do a lawn for 20.00 and most of the work looks like crap. Here one summer gone the next year.But now these people is starting to see what we do and we do more business in this area than anyone else. Yes it is alot of BS on this site. I am sorry for u guys that have alot of mexicans around your area. That why alot of mexican are doing lawn care work and not paying taxes like me.I will let them know up front what they get for this price. If they don't want it then i will move on. I do 80 lawns a week with me and two full time workers. I bid on a job and most of the time i get it and if i don't someone else calling me to bid on their lawn.

you get what you pay for????? really? so if i buy a case of coca cola 24 can 12oz at wal mart for $5.38 i would get more buying the same coca cola 24 can 12oz at food store for $7.49??? wow and i thought it was the same but just $2.11 cheaper. :hammerhead:
next the mexicans near me stripe a lawn and do great looking work, its grass not nothing hard about cutting it thats why you see 7 year olds cutting there lawns

vencops
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm confused, too. You're kinda bragging about how much you get for your cheapest lawn.......and on the other hand saying you get almost every bid you submit.

Those two don't add up.

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Milo-
Whose side are you on? If this business is such a joke why are you in it?
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Price check or helpful advice?

If you discount a $25.00 job to $15.00 to gain foothold in a neighborhood then $15.00 just became the new competitive market price. (My last guy did it for $15.00).

A lot of the Mexican work I see looks pretty good and they’re friendly enough. Around here it’s the locals who drive the price down….aka…offer competitive pricing.

You can charge more for a cold drink (soda up north) but it depends.
What if they are out of stock half the time?
Are they cold or hot?
Banged up?
Slime on the cans for some reason?
Is the store located where I will get mugged?
Is the owner friendly, polite, etc?
How far do I need to drive?
Etc and so forth.

Yes, the low priced guy will cut all the economy customers out of the heard. I can live with that.

Will P.C.
05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I love reading about these guys who charge more money for a cut always make fun of the quality of work for guys who charge less. Just because you charge 50 instead of 20 does not mean your yard automatically looks better.

Same thing with guys making fun of guys with Craftsman or Home Depot mowers. Their work is always horrible and lacks quality since they don't use a Scag, Husky, Exmark. etc. I cut my yard with a 10 year old Craftsman on occasion and it looks wonderful. My neighbor uses 12-13 year old Garden Way and it has a better cut than my expensive John Deere.

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Ok Will your changing your story. Do you cut with a Craftsman or a John Deere? Do you charge 20 or 50. Or does your neighbor cut your grass?
Posted via Mobile Device

milo
05-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Milo-
Whose side are you on? If this business is such a joke why are you in it?
Posted via Mobile Device
im on no side, this business sucks and no one on here can say the lowest they charge for a 10 by 10 lawn is $30.00 minium and win that bid. even bill gates would not pay a guy $30.00 to cut a 10 by 10 spot of grass and hes worth billions...
my point is this, yes alot of people have loyal customers they cut every week and done so for many many years and over time with price increases they even pay more than they would if they hired a new person but they like you and the service you give them so they stay with you but, if your on here claiming $30.00 for a 10 by 10 lawn and you get those accounts you either lie your a$$ off about getting them or you are totally screwing people.. im one to believe in carma so if you are you will see one day... and till someone shows me this tiny lawn that they get $30.00 for for 4 minutes work i just have to say BULL $HIT:nono:

Flatop
05-07-2011, 10:51 PM
cheapest I would go, FREE. Member of GreenCare for Troops. Last year, two clients and this year just one so far. Last years client both active duty spouse came home safely.

corey4671
05-07-2011, 11:06 PM
$35 minimum for WEEKLY service. Yes I have turned down about 6 accounts this year wanting EOW. Ain't doin em. One lady even told me her hsband had just fertilized the lawn that weekend and she wanted it mowed EOW..ROFL. these tightwads kill me. Let Joe Bob down the street working for beer money have em. I have my hands full with good accounts that appreciate SERVICE.

D&F lawnmaster
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
You are full of it. Median house hold income is 33,260 in your "area". Are you mowing 3 acres for 50. lol. Median income in my area is over 100,000 and no one around here is paying anything near that.

You are right about income in my area, but i do not cut to many lawns for this type of income. I don't cut lawns for poor people, ninety percent of my clients have 100,000.00 to 1.5 million dollars home and commerical lawns is bigger than all of your lawns put together. You guys that are charging so low for lawn care work how do you make any money in this business. Oh I know you work just to put food on the table,,LOL, Alright guys if you continue to work for nothing go ahead and i will continue to charge what i do. I like to make money and you guys don't. I think most of you guys are such so damn jealous about a old country boy kicking your butt in this country. Alot of you guys are full of BS

corey4671
05-08-2011, 12:35 AM
You are right about income in my area, but i do not cut to many lawns for this type of income. I don't cut lawns for poor people, ninety percent of my clients have 100,000.00 to 1.5 million dollars home and commerical lawns is bigger than all of your lawns put together. You guys that are charging so low for lawn care work how do you make any money in this business. Oh I know you work just to put food on the table,,LOL, Alright guys if you continue to work for nothing go ahead and i will continue to charge what i do. I like to make money and you guys don't. I think most of you guys are such so damn jealous about a old country boy kicking your butt in this country. Alot of you guys are full of BS

Yes my minimum is lower than yours but many of those $35 lawns are 7k sq ft or less. Thursdays I do 16 of those SOLO in 9 hours. Yet on Friday I mow 4 lawns in 9 hours that AVERAGE just over $150 each. I live out in a rural area and drive into the metro areas.

delphied
05-08-2011, 06:13 AM
cheapest I would go, FREE. Member of GreenCare for Troops. Last year, two clients and this year just one so far. Last years client both active duty spouse came home safely.

Do our troops not get paid enough to have their lawns cut?

Patriot Services
05-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Do our troops not get paid enough to have their lawns cut?

Its a volunteer thing. An E4 or below with kids living in town because base housing is full are on a tight budget. Some wives have never operated a mower. I have done many that led to regular service. Hiring a lawn service is last on most guys deployment checklist. Like Milo said Karma will come back to haunt you.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveGreenLawn
05-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I just did a total clean up and mulch job on a new customer. Want to keep him but he is stuck on this mow as needed routine and only wants to pay $20. I told him I can do it for $35.00 if he only going to have me cut twice a month and a foot high each time. Want to get my foot.in that neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnwizards
05-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I just did a total clean up and mulch job on a new customer. Want to keep him but he is stuck on this mow as needed routine and only wants to pay $20. I told him I can do it for $35.00 if he only going to have me cut twice a month and a foot high each time. Want to get my foot.in that neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device

you sound too desperate. he will eat you alive promising things only to renege. better to blanket the area you want to work in with fliers instead of trying to get in by lowballing.

RSK Property Maintenance
05-08-2011, 08:52 AM
right now my cheapest lawn is 35 dollars it's bi weekly, and the backyard is only 30x60 if even that, and the front lawn is 9x12, with my little 48" tiger cub it takes me about 15 mins and im done. I probably use 2 dollars of gas between the mower, trimmer, and backpack, and it's in between two lawns I have one is about 5000sq. ft. very little trimming she pays 40 dollars. another is under 2000sq. ft. she also pays 40 dollars. I'm not getting rich doing this just yet. but for the 12 accounts I have and living at home still, I'm doing alright. It's just tough to price bigger commercial accounts and not get out bid, by the bigger guys around here, who will send 2 61" mowers and a 2 guys trimming and do an acre of grass for 40 dollars. cut, trim, blow. They stay busy, and have been around for at least 15 years.

nepatsfan
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Lowballing your way in only gets you more customers that want work done for next to nothing. When your lowball customer refers you to their neighbors and tells them about your low prices the neighbors will expect similar pricing because of that and won't hire you at fair market value. If they saw your work and you charged fair market value they then would expect to pay the same. It wouldn't even be that they wouldn't be willing to pay a fair price but if you charge one customer 35 bucks to cut their lawn and the neighbor has the same size lawn and you want to charge them 50 so you can make some money the customer will think that you are ripping them off.

Patriot Services
05-08-2011, 09:52 AM
People watch too many "priceline.com" commercials. They believe that every business will be happy with "some" money over "no" money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
05-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Surprised no one said what if you lost all the lawns near it, would you still make money traveling out of your way to do it? Don't get cocky and price lower just because it's next to your other lawns. You never know what can happen and if you lose the lawns near that one you are better off losing that little lawn as well!.

Great point I never let customers know other accounts are near them. If you get dropped you are wasting time traveling to that part of town for one lawn. Getting more accounts closer together is what makes mowing profitable or worth doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
wow milo. You must be aggrivated and someone/something. First off, 4 minutes of work doesn't exist. Unless you lived next door, didn't do any trimming or blowing, you are at 4 minutes of work by the end of the 10X10 foot area.

I read back a few pages, and no one I saw stated that they do a 10 foot square area for $30. If they are they're smoking crack and trying to get folks riled up (which they are succeeding at). I've got to agree with a couple guys already... why are you in it then if you think this business sucks and is a joke. So much negativity. We need to stick together as LCO's instead of bickering about prices.

I live 30 minutes north of my base of operations and I'll say again what I've said before. The price you can bid will depend on where you live. Where I live I wouldn't be able to bid the same as I do where our business is. Plain and simple. Do some people take advantage of affulent customers? Maybe... most likely I mean.

Dude, when you lay down your head at night and you say you've done the best you can for the day and treated people right (like you would want to be treated) then you've done a great job. Don't worry about what other people do with their money or time.

BestImpressions99
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Bickering by the way not only about prices, but equipment, styles of cutting, etc.

As long as the equipment you use is professional grade you should stick like glue to the other LCO's on here and defend eachother.