PDA

View Full Version : Ferris rotating anti-scalp roller question

usgi45autos
05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I went to my local dealer to pick up a 2011 IS3100Z yesterday. I noticed the 61" icd deck did not have the rotating anti-scalp rollers. I put the deal on hold in order to get more information.

Has Ferris recently dropped the 360 degree rollers? If so, why? Thanks.

doyles
05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
last mounth we bought a is3100 ferris with a 72" deck and it came with a icd cutting deck and just the regular anti scalp rollers (non turning)

pugs
05-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Yah looks like the ICD decks do not have the rotating rollers. Probably wont fit with the new sloping nose of the deck.

usgi45autos
05-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the replies. I decided to follow-up with Ferris tech. support to ask why the change.

They informed me many users, primarily in the south, had tall 8-9" curbs to go over. When they did, the rotating roller fixture would often catch and bend, resulting in the roller having to be replaced.

Ferris informed me that the 360 degree rotating rollers are still available as a kit (part #5600552). The brackets for both type rollers bolt onto the icd deck with the same holes. So, both type rollers are interchangeable, with no modifications to the deck being necessary.

The Ferris tech support person I skoke with said the rotating roller was a superior design and assured me there wasn't anything wrong with it, besides the fact they sometimes caught on the curbs and needed to be replaced.

The fixed rollers were simply standardized at the request of many users who had been replacing the rotating rollers due to damage. I understand Ferris' decision to cater to the bulk of their commercial users. However, I think it will lead to some confusion, until they replace all the sales brochures currently in use, and update their web site.

This change is so recent that Ferris Parts could not even provide a cost for the kit to replace the rollers.

I hope this information will be useful. Thanks for the replies.

ashgrove landscaping
05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
My 2010 3100z 61 has the rotating anti scalp rollers on the ICD deck. I wouldn't want anything else. If your 2011 doesn't have them tell them to lower the cost of the unit. Seems like Ferris is trying to cut corners and still charge the same or more.

usgi45autos
05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
...Seems like Ferris is trying to cut corners and still charge the same or more.

Thank you. That was my impression as well. There does not appear to be nearly as much to the stationary roller assemblies.

I could understand offering an optional kit with stationary rollers for those who wanted them, but not downgrading their anti-scalp system across the board.

kiwi1
12-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Just looking at some older posts on Ferris IS3100z and thought that you may be interested in my modification to over come the constant bending of the arm, 2x 1/2" rods bent to shape and welded on top has fixed the problem.

alexschultz1
12-10-2011, 01:33 AM
how much do they actually help?

kiwi1
12-10-2011, 02:02 AM
It is only the LH side anti -scalp bracket that bends, I think that it is mainly because of the 6" deck offset and when you are mowing across the face of a slope with that side downhill, that castor digs in to any uneven ground bending the wheel back to the front edge of the deck, since the modification, no matter how much thumping, the bracket has never needed to be repaired again. For a couple of $s worth of steel and a bit of welding, far cheaper than a new replacement.

SouthSide Cutter
12-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Aint got nothing to do with Ferris but just looked at 3 Kubota 326S's and two of the three had both sides bent with only 120hrs. Probably looked at 10 more and they were fine. They look strong . Had to have some relly good operators on them!!!! Had them on my 445 and 455 JD's and never bent them. I got my scalp rollers set so low to keep from scalping you have to raise the deck when zero turning or you will tear up the turf on anything lower than 3". Always thought the rotating ones stopped this. Thought about making my own for the Scags deck.

Richard Martin
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Aint got nothing to do with Ferris but just looked at 3 Kubota 326S's and two of the three had both sides bent with only 120hrs. Probably looked at 10 more and they were fine. They look strong . Had to have some relly good operators on them!!!! Had them on my 445 and 455 JD's and never bent them. I got my scalp rollers set so low to keep from scalping you have to raise the deck when zero turning or you will tear up the turf on anything lower than 3". Always thought the rotating ones stopped this. Thought about making my own for the Scags deck.

You're right. A little tiny castor wheel will have problems.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234640&d=1323032543

SouthSide Cutter
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
You're right. A little tiny castor wheel will have problems.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=234640&d=1323032543

Richard where did you get them?

Richard Martin
12-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Richard where did you get them?

Ebay. It's off of a walk behind. We call it "repurposing". The arm and yolk are Bobcat and the wheel is Grasshopper. Total cost was about $100.00. The only mod was the yolk was drilled for a 1/2" axle bolt and I had to make it 5/8" to match the Grasshopper axle bolt. I got lucky on the Grasshopper wheel. Some guy had a bunch of them complete with bearings and tire, already assembled, for $25 or $30 each.