PDA

View Full Version : Stihl SG-20 backpack sprayer leaking ...

Fresh_Cut
05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
since I bought it new. I don't know what it is. It's coming from the brass pump tube, it's getting past the plunger and being pulled up and overflowing.

This leads to more and more leakage the longer I use it at a time. I end up with a large wet spot on my back, this last time I was spraying for a good about of time, maybe 30 min., and my whole back was wet, my pants were wet as well.

I've taken it to the dealer I bought it from once, and they inspected it and gave it an "OK", but they said that if they did anything above inspecting it that it would cost me shop labor. I bought the thing last September and I know it came with a warranty, what should I do?

I need a sprayer and this is supposed to be the best on the market, that's why I paid so much for it. But it seems as if I'm having a leakage problem that no one else with this sprayer is having.

gebby
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I have one and swallowed hard when I bought it. It has been a great sprayer. No leaks any where. I think I would ask the dealer again. If there is no help, I'd call the company to explain my problem. I am blessed with my dealer. I buy almost everything from him. Many times he will fix things for free. A couple of times a year I slip him lunch money as I walk out the door. It leaves him speechless as most everybody else that walks through the door is misable. He makes me smile and he I make him smile. Take your sales slip in and ask for some help please.

Bgaz
05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I had to replace the seals in both my sprayers. They would overflow at the top every time you pumped them. There is a repair kit that your dealer should have.

Guzzo856
05-06-2011, 08:12 AM
you need to replace the seal.... After everytime you use it rinse it out with water. or soapy water, because in time the chemicals corrode it.

R & R Yard Designs
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
There is a oring that need to be replaced I will get you the part number when I get in the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

R & R Yard Designs
05-06-2011, 07:48 PM
If you go pepboys and get nitrile oring part number dc568-212-10 that will fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh_Cut
05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
UPDATE:

I took it in to have them service it and they charged me a half hour of shop labor which I grunted at paying because I had just bought the sprayer this past September. (I said that to say that I thought it should have been covered under warranty) I paid it anyway. I get it home and start to rinse it out, I put 2 gallons of water in it and start spraying my yard to rinse the hose and everything out... it's still leaking!

The next day I call the shop manager at my dealer and tell him, "I need a new sprayer. I picked it up yesterday and sprayed my yard with 2 gallons and it was leaking worse than before, and this is after y'all charged me a half hour of shop labor." He said to bring it in and he'll look at it while I was there, I get there and their swamped so he doesn't even look at it, just picks it up and starts to get me a new one.

So I got a new one, haven't sprayed anything with it yet. I bought some 3-n-1 oil that they said to use every week in it, too. I hope I don't have any more problems with this new one.

ALC-GregH
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
From what I gather, it has a 2 year warranty. I would have went off on my dealer if he tried to charge me for something still under warranty. Did he make you buy a new one? If not, did he refund the money you paid for them to fix the other one?

Fresh_Cut
05-15-2011, 11:31 PM
From what I gather, it has a 2 year warranty. I would have went off on my dealer if he tried to charge me for something still under warranty. Did he make you buy a new one? If not, did he refund the money you paid for them to fix the other one?

He just swapped the sprayers for one in the showroom, he didn't refund the money I paid for them to fix the other one.

Should I ask him about that?

It was $34

topsites
05-15-2011, 11:44 PM
No, they gave you a new one, if it cost you $34 I am not entirely comfortable with what appears to be their way
of covering some shipping costs but I would just let it be, it's not the worst expense in the world and if your
problem is fixed I would just take it for what it's worth, of course I am assuming your new one doesn't leak.

Fresh_Cut
05-15-2011, 11:55 PM
No, they gave you a new one, if it cost you $34 I am not entirely comfortable with what appears to be their way
of covering some shipping costs but I would just let it be, it's not the worst expense in the world and if your
problem is fixed I would just take it for what it's worth, of course I am assuming your new one doesn't leak.

Well, I brought it to the shop twice to have it looked at for the leaking problem, the first time I couldn't leave it because I needed to use it on a yard and they couldn't get to it right then, the second time they charged me.... then I called the shop manager and he told me that he didn't get a chance to look at it himself and to bring it in. When I got there he exchanged it for a new one in the Stihl showroom, on the wall.

dgw
05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
i was honestly going to buy one of these today

now im having second thoughts , and i didnt know i had to do weekly maintenance on it either

THG
05-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I have this sprayer but I don't remember is costing that much compared to an SP Industries sprayer? I love Stihl products but this sprayer is not that great. Prone to leaks but the worst part to me is it's very uncomfortable to wear. I thought it would ride very comfortably like their BB blowers but to me its the most uncomfortable BB sprayer that I have ever owned.

topsites
05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll tell you I started using sprayers sometime...
I can't remember :p

But it was sometime between my 2nd and 4th year, so somewhere about 7-8 maybe 9 years ago.

In that time I've used all kinds, 1 and 2 gallon hand helds, 4 gallon backpacks and all sorts of different brands,
cheap and expensive and white and black and orange and yellow and everything in between.

I've paid as little as $10 and as much as $100, the only thing I have never used is a motorized one.

Here is what I found they ALL have in common:
Every last one of these lasts about yay long, they can and do leak, some right off the bat,
some you can fix, most of it you can't.
Why, because the parts are even more ridiculous to get than for a lawn mower,
by the time I've paid for the shipping I can almost buy another whole sprayer.

Which is what I usually do, when one craps out I buy another and keep the old one for parts.
Of course, parts from one sprayer to another are NOT interchangeable unless it's the exact same sprayer.
When you do buy two of the exact same sprayer, they usually break BOTH in the SAME place,
meaning you can still throw most of the parts sprayer in the garbage because the new sprayer broke exactly
like the old one did and you are still short on that one part that you need.

They do sell some repair kits, I find these are mostly a waste of time as well
because once again you use one part and throw the rest in the garbage.
If you are a hoarder like myself you can try and keep the rest of the parts and one day you will find that you
have lots and lots of same or similar parts for which you almost never have absolutely any use.

However, and possibly the most important clue in this aggravating game of BS:
Is I find the price of the unit when purchased makes little to NO difference in how well it does for me.

That's all I'm sharing, with few exception to me they're all about as good (or as worthless).