PDA

View Full Version : wrench size to change my blades out on my exmark E series?

olebrooklawn
05-05-2011, 02:28 PM
read the owner booklet didnt see what kind or size tools I need to change out blades. help if you can.

EastCoast
05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
My SCAG is 15/16, not sure about Exmark. You dont have a few wrench that you could try?

olebrooklawn
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
My SCAG is 15/16, not sure about Exmark. You dont have a few wrench that you could try?

wanna find out before i raise her up. I know for a fact its not a bolt. its a screw.

jsslawncare
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Pull the cover off the deck, There maybe a 15\16 nut there. I have never owned one of these mowers but the rest seem to be this size.

Mark Oomkes
05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
wanna find out before i raise her up.

Why does that matter? It has to be raised up either way, right?

And if it's a "screw" as you say, a wrench won't fit it. You need a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Can't you just reach through the discharge and try some different size wrenches on it from there?

Wouldn't that have been faster than starting a thread on it?

JDiepstra
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Why does that matter? It has to be raised up either way, right?

And if it's a "screw" as you say, a wrench won't fit it. You need a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Can't you just reach through the discharge and try some different size wrenches on it from there?

Wouldn't that have been faster than starting a thread on it?

Hey you can make useful posts! :usflag:

EastCoast
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Then just take the deck cover off like mentioned below and apply various wrenches on the nut.

I use a 15/16 socket on my impact wrench over the nut and a 15/16 open end wrench over the head of the bolt. Very simple.

davidcalhoun
05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
You can find the hex nut size in the parts manual. You can then figure out what wrench size.

Patriot Services
05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I have never seen a mower blade held on by a screw?!?
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
It may take a metric adjustable wrench. :confused: :)

knox gsl
05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a series 4 deck on my WB, assuming that both you mower with a series 4 deck and my WB use the same spindle then it will be 15/16. I use a breaker bar, impact socket and 2x4 block to change mine takes about 5 minutes, but if you have an impact maybe 2 minutes. Also just drive one of the front wheels up the ramp of your trailer for easy safe access to the deck.

olebrooklawn
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a series 4 deck on my WB, assuming that both you mower with a series 4 deck and my WB use the same spindle then it will be 15/16. I use a breaker bar, impact socket and 2x4 block to change mine takes about 5 minutes, but if you have an impact maybe 2 minutes. Also just drive one of the front wheels up the ramp of your trailer for easy safe access to the deck.

thank you very much. what I was looking for.

Patriot Services
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
It may take a metric adjustable wrench. :confused: :)

Left hand or right hand?
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
05-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Left hand or right hand?
Posted via Mobile Device

right handed.

ed2hess
05-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Then just take the deck cover off like mentioned below and apply various wrenches on the nut.

I use a 15/16 socket on my impact wrench over the nut and a 15/16 open end wrench over the head of the bolt. Very simple.

If you have an impact why do you hold the other end:confused:

knox gsl
05-05-2011, 11:03 PM

I thought the same thing.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
read the owner booklet didnt see what kind or size tools I need to change out blades. help if you can.

dang need help with that and you are mowing lawns:hammerhead:

tacoma200
05-05-2011, 11:12 PM
The X series uses a 3/4 socket. You need to use a torque wrench and not tighten them any tighter than 55-60 lbs. Exmark uses a spline bushing to keep the blade from self tightening when it hit's something or during mowing. Definitely do not use an impact wrench on an Exmark if it has the spline bushing. All it takes is one hand to hold the blade and they come off very easily with a ratchet. There should be a warning sticker on the deck that tells you the amount of torque to use. Also use copper based anti-seize on bolts.

This is assuming they are the same as the X series.

knox gsl
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
The X series uses a 3/4 socket. You need to use a torque wrench and not tighten them any tighter than 55-60 lbs. Exmark uses a spline bushing to keep the blade from self tightening when it hit's something or during mowing. Definitely do not use an impact wrench on an Exmark if it has the spline bushing. All it takes is one hand to hold the blade and they come off very easily with a ratchet. There should be a warning sticker on the deck that tells you the amount of torque to use. Also use copper based anti-seize on bolts.

This is assuming they are the same as the X series.

They aren't the same. Impact coming off and ratchet to put them back on. I do like the splined mounts better, I catch hell trying to break the bolts loose on my WB and my ZTR is effortless.

StanWilhite
05-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Left hand or right hand?
Posted via Mobile Device

:):):):):):)

Mark Oomkes
05-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I use a breaker bar, impact socket and 2x4 block

Don't forget the board stretcher if you're going to use a 2X4.

Good vibrations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2gZMNkyJo

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 10:01 AM

LOL...good point!

metro36
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Its either a 3/4 or 15/16 bolt that threads into the bottom of the spindle bolt. You need to remove it from the bottom of the deck. Do not try to remove the longer bolt that runs through the spindle and holds the spindle on top.

You will need a socket, socket wrench, breaker bar, and block of wood if you are doing it by hand. Use the block of wood to keep the blade from rotating while you loosen.

If you have a impact just hold the end of the blade and it will come right off.

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I think the OP was happy when somebody told him he can get under the deck by driving halfway up the ramp edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
05-08-2011, 01:01 AM
I think the OP was happy when somebody told him he can get under the deck by driving halfway up the ramp edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope he has sharp blades on there by now.