PDA

View Full Version : Yard from Hell

yourlawnguy1
05-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I just got a new account that has just about every kind of weed there is. Clover dandelions, chick weed, dollar weed. The whole yard is covered in weeds. Trying to figure out a plan of attack. Any ideas on what to do first?

rlitman
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey, that's MY yard! It's green, OK! It's a touchy subject. :)

j-ville native
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
1. mow
2. weed & feed
3. water it

Mark Oomkes
05-05-2011, 03:19 PM
1. mow
2. weed & feed
3. water it

Seems logical and straightforward. :confused:

yourlawnguy1
05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
should I not spray the weeds first?

JDiepstra
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM
You probably would be better off spraying the weeds and waiting a couple days before mowing if possible. I am sure more of the product would make it onto the weeds that way, assuming they are taller than the grass.

yourlawnguy1
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Once I get rid of the weeds could I over seed the yard with bermuda.

GravyTrain
05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
depends on if you have all the licenses you need. If you don't have the licensing, you'll need to get that first before you apply anything.

Smallaxe
05-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Proessionals just shouldn't be using weed n' feed for lawncare... get real herbicides that to the real job...

JB1
05-06-2011, 07:08 AM
don't worry about it, when all the other yards are burned up this summer, your weed yard will still be growing , so you will still be cutting.

White Gardens
05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
1. mow
2. weed & feed
3. water it

Get a license and spray. Granular Weed and Feed does no one any good.

Proessionals just shouldn't be using weed n' feed for lawncare... get real herbicides that to the real job...

Ditto!

If you aren't licensed, then go get that first.

yourlawnguy1
05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't know about y'all but I don't really like to mow weeds. I prefer grass, when someone drives by and you are mowing a yard full of weeds doesn't that look bad on you.

Turf Dawg
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Is the lawn full sun or shady? That may be one problem for the weeds. What type of grass is there now? I have to know somemore about the sitiation before I could recomend anything.
If the lawn has good sunlight, irrigation and enough Bermuda to show up in a Hula-Hop if you throw it randomaly then it could be saved with just weed control, fert and water.

yourlawnguy1
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Full Sun and it is bermuda grass. I don't think there is enough bermuda in the yard for the grass to overtake the weeds.

KINGMADE
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
get the home owner to buy spectracide broadleaf weed killer from the HD and spray if for "free". Buy the bottles that hook up to the hose. Keep it away from plants that you do not want to kill. Don't spray it when it is windy or before a rain. Don't mow it for atleast 3 days. I would wait a week if possible. Wait a couple weeks. dethatch and overseed if necessary. If not necessary lay down some fert that is recommended for the soil type found in your area. The hotter it is the better the weed killer works.

Weed and feed is like flushing your money and your customers money down a toilet.

White Gardens
05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
get the home owner to buy spectracide broadleaf weed killer from the HD and spray if for "free". Buy the bottles that hook up to the hose. Keep it away from plants that you do not want to kill. Don't spray it when it is windy or before a rain. Don't mow it for atleast 3 days. I would wait a week if possible. Wait a couple weeks. dethatch and overseed if necessary. If not necessary lay down some fert that is recommended for the soil type found in your area. The hotter it is the better the weed killer works.

Weed and feed is like flushing your money and your customers money down a toilet.

So you want to fry some grass too.... I know of a few chems that can't be applied above certain temps and conditions.

Ester formulations for one.

Crabgrass killers are another.